Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Sigma

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS 35mm Zoom

3/5 (1 Reviews)
Focal Length : 18mm - 200mm | Max. Aperture : f/3.5-f/6.3  | Focus : Autofocus

The Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS zoom lens, which features their OS (Optical Stabilizer) image stabilization system to help eliminate blur from camera shake. SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass and aspherical glass provide excellent correction for all types of aberrations. This lens is available for APS-C SIGMA, CANON, and NIKON digital SLRs.

Submitted by Don Schaeffer a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2008

Strengths:    full 11.1 x
macro focus to about 6 inches
very light and small when retracted
relatively inexpensive
optics appear to be very good in early practical trial

Weaknesses:    little noiser than Nikkor
stiff feel in turning mechanism
clumsy kind of segmentation when the lens extends

Bottom Line:
I was going to buy the Nikkor version for close to 700 dollars but saved over $200 purchasing the Sigma. The lens is very light. The motor is a little noiser than the Nikkor and the turning mechanisms seem a little stiffer. The lens is surpriringly small and light, even though it is longer than the 55-200 mm Nikkor when extended--or seems so. It has an additional extension out of the tube for the longer focal lengths. The segments have visal scares to mark focal lengths. The optics look very good to me and the lens has a macro potential focussing down to about 6 inches. You have to use the manual focus when you focus in that close because the autofocus seems to search forever, but it does focus fine.

The best part is that my Nikon has the same capability as my point and shoot Kodak and I don't have to make decisions about every day use lenses. I can carry my Sigma 10-20 mm lens with me in my small case and have my whole photographic range. I've only had the lens a few hours but I feel like the cat who swallowed the canary.

Purchased At:   Henry's Camera