Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Sigma

• Aperture range: f/2.8-22
  • Min focus: 15" (38 cm)

Submitted by sy1234 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2011

Strengths:    Sharpness. Light weight. Cheap. F2.8. 77mm filter size.

Weaknesses:    Focus inconsistency. Front focus. No HSM.

Bottom Line:
    I really didn't care for this lens. I had it for four years but I used very rarely. Focus inconsistency was nothing but headache for me almost every time I used it especially in a low light situation. It had a front focus problem most of times. Sometimes it focused on whatever close object. It seemed to have its own will. I was very disappointed because it could be very great lens. It produced very sharp images and light weight, and very reasonable price ($400). Built seemed to be very well even though internal mechanism was very questionable. I don't know why I didn't sell it quicker but now I have Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L and I'm very happy.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L Canon EF 28-135mm IS

Submitted by gp2k8 a Expert

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    1. Good value for money
    2. Well built
    3. Reasonable sharpness and contrast from f/4
    4. f/2.8 through the range

Weaknesses:    1. No AFS motor limiting cameras AF would work with (no problem for my S5/S2/D200), AF is not as fast as for NIkon pro offerings
    2. Color rendition is sometimes inferior to Nikon pro lenses - I didn't use it too much to say in which case
    3. Some zoom creep
    4. The range 24-60 makes it an odd lens for DX cameras; I use it on S5 at all times but always have Tokina 12-24 atx in my bag just in case.

Bottom Line:
    I've purchase this lens to shoot an indoor wedding as I needed at least f/2.8 fast zoom to achieve a reasonable focus speed in dim light conditions. A lot of internet feedback warned about focusing/calibration issues but at the price paid I was willing to take a punt. (I would not however buy a Sigma lens secondhand unless I know a person or am sure the lens is refundable.)

I was lucky as the focus was spot on; in dim conditions the AF sometimes hunts, never for long though. I found it reasonably tough built, good contrast, reasonable color rendition. I would use it for professional work, though it is not as fast as NIkon's AFS offerings (which cost times and times more). 2.8 is a bit soft but I found f/4 and higher to be sharp all over the DX frame I use.

Purchased At:   Camera Cometa

Similar Products Used:   Nikon AFS 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikon AFS 24-70 f/2.8
    Nikon AFS 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR

Submitted by Zuazua a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Strengths:    Weight
    2.8 Constant
    Sharp
    Clarity
    Contrast
    Fast Auto Focus (I have used Tamron in the past and to me this was faster, but not as fast as my Canon 1.8 MK1)

Weaknesses:    None so far (only had it for 3hrs) as of 1-13-09 1615hrs

Bottom Line:
    I was very worried that another Sigma product would have the focus issue that is plastered all over the net. I am fortunate. a Few pictures so far and I havent noticed it. Which is great becasue even on a tiny LCD I noticed it when using the Sigma 28-70mm F/2.8-4 DG. WOW I hate that lens. Although I few emails including pictures back and forth to Sigma that said I can send it to them.
    I choose to buy this lens instead (Sigma 24-60mm F/2.8 EX DG.
    First of all the Finish is brilliant. The feel of this lens is nice weight. It has a zoom lock, havent experienced this before so I have no comment other than it only works at the wide end.
    Zooming manually felt responsive and easy, not slippery. The 2.8 has an incrediable look to it. Check out the net for images taken with this such as... PBase or Flickr. http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/24-60_28_ex_dg
    I expect this to be my everyday walk around lens now.

Purchased At:   craigslist