Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Sigma

MPN605101
    Product ID20724312

Submitted by filmslr8 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight
short lens
sharp

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
When I received this lens I was amazed how small and light it was. Although the Pentax mount is plastic, it has stood up very well on my Pentax metal SLR mounts after many changes. In my opinion the lens is sharp. From indoor shots with 800 speed film at 70mm f3.5 and 100 speed film at 24mm f22 I am very pleased with the results. I mainly photograph with 35mm film and process them to 4 X 6 prints.

Purchased At:   B & H Photo, Video,

Similar Products Used:   Tokina AT-X 24-200 f3.5 - f5.6

Submitted by Anthony a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Front focus on EOS 10D
OOF at 24mm

Bottom Line:
This is a good lens also because of the price. But it can't focus on my 10D (and the camera is fine with 3 other lenses).
Evident front focus between 28mm and 70mm, and at 24mm there is nothing in focus at all. Did lots of testings including rulers and I had to return it.

Similar Products Used:   Tamron 28-105 (perfect focus even on rulers)

Submitted by rjhartless a Intermediate from Parker, Arizona

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Poor /inconsistent photo quality. Makes me leery of purchasing any Sigma products.

Bottom Line:
As a journalist, I shoot everything--sports, mugs, architecture, groups, indoor, outdoor, day, night. I just can't get consistently good images out of this lens. I can live with slow speed and cheap construction, but picture clarity/contrast is often poor, particularly at 24mm setting. I happened upon this website because I am looking to replace this lens!

Purchased At:   Online Store

Similar Products Used:   Vivitar 70-300mm (love it!)
Canon 28-55
Tamron 28-80

Submitted by dnorton a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap. Nice range.

Weaknesses:    I've had this lens for two years, and I've never been fully satisfied with the optical quality, especially with color negative film. The results are nowhere near as sharp and contrasty as my Canon lenses, even though they weren't much more expensive. Will somebody please make a zoom in this range with a constant 2.8 that costs under $400. This lens is slow, and performs poorly wide open. Then there's the design. The other day I knocked my backpack off a chair. In it was my Canon EOS and this lens, inside a padded camera bag, my flash, and my Leica point and shoot (not padded). The Sigma is now almost completely in two pieces. It broke just behind the zoom collar, where it appears that the front of the lens is joined to the rear with three small plastic L shaped brackets (about 1/4 inch each). Two of the three brackets went. Nothing else in the bag was harmed, padded or not. I've had my EOS for 11 years, and my Canon lenses about the same. This lens has not gotten particularly rough treatment by my standards. It's obviously not designed or built as well as the Canon lenses. Lens cap doesn't stay on when you focus all the way to infinity unless you have a filter on because the

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this lens.

Purchased At:   B&H