Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Sigma

Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro 35mm Zoom

4 star rating
                      4 / 5 (4 Reviews)

Compact High Performance Zoom Lens with a 10.7:1 High Zoom Ratio and optimized for Digital SLR cameras. 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 MACRO lens covers all the focal lengths from 28mm wide angle to 300mm telephoto with 10.7:1 high zoom ratio as well as macro capability. 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 MACRO packs a lot of performance in a compact package with ultra compact dimensions (Diameter 74mm and Length of 86mm) that make this lens the ultimate traveling companion. It’s the ideal lens all types of photography and optimized for digital SLR cameras.

Submitted by jimbo03 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2008

Strengths:    compact size
versatility
reasonably decent IQ
build quality

Weaknesses:    not for low light
jack of all trades
focus not silent and hunts occasionally

Bottom Line:
I originally bought this lens after buying my Canon XTi body only, after reading about the mediocre kit lens. At the time I had little resources to buy premium or multiple lenses. I shoot mostly landscapes, some architectural, some macro, and some sports. Also some abstract work. I do little post-processing.

I think you have to accept this lens for what it is - a broad zoom with apertures good for medium to bright light settings. I like it as a walkaround lens outdoors because for the zoom, it is relatively compact. I have gotten sharp macro shots at f6.3 and reasonably sharp 200mm shots at f8 and above. The only shortcoming as a macro other than the aperture is the relatively long minimum focus distance - but for something better,you have o get a dedicated macro lens. For longer zoom ranges to 300mm I have gotten some decent shots, but not having an image stabilizer, combined with the tiny viewfinder of the Digital Rebel, which makes it hard to tell if it's truly in focus at that long distance, I think accounts for some of that. The lens has a zoom lock because the weight of the lens extension causes it to extend when unlocked and pointed downward. Really not a big deal for me.

I know people have had problems with SIGMA QC, but my copy is solid and substantial, and the zoom hunts just a bit, but I tend to rely on manual focus often. My take from reading other input is that SIGMA have spent some time on their newer product upping the QC a bit. Do not confuse this lens with the earlier 28-300 (no macro designation).

In the future as I save I'll budget for a premium, wide aperture long tele with IS.

Buy this lens if you want a versatile walkaround lens with reasonable to very good performance in well-lit situations. I will likely keep mine for awhile.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM

Submitted by Tammy a Casual

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2007

Strengths:    28-300 gives versatle shooting experience, take this lens when you travel
lightweight
great value for money

Weaknesses:    I don't think you can take good indoor photos with this lens. Go for lenses with bigger aperture.

Bottom Line:
I received this lens from my dad, who had some photography experience. At first, I thought the lens was too dark, with a max aperture of 3.5 at 28 mm. I couldn't get a decent shot in my house without flash. But when I used it outside during daytime, it was very good. Then I realized why my dad bought this lens. This lens is perfect for outdoor activities. It's so lightweight that it is much lighter than my 35-70 2.8 Nikon lens, and you can take pictures of objects that are far far away.
When you take portraits, the complexion tends to be slightly yellowish, but with flash, the color is alright. Overall, I'm pleased with this lens.

Submitted by starriderrick a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, compact.
powerful performance 28-300mm.--> 50-450mm with my D80
Minimal distortion at 28mm. Amazing clarity at full zoom.
cost.
Does it all.

Weaknesses:    Slow AF (I'm in manual mode most of the time}no problem.

None that I see :O)

Sigma has had Q.C. issues in recent years/bad rap.

What I can see the company is coming back strong.2006-->These days the Quality is flawless.(at least in this example)

Bottom Line:
I like this lense.It's a do it all performer.The zoom is powerful, with the 1.5x conversion of a DSLR it becomes 450mm quick. The lense is quite accurate (metering) with my D80. I have taken several night photos with outstanding clarity, minimal distortion at the wide end. See my gallery (As I saw It)

Very compact,light.takes 62mm filters.has a great lense hood.
I recommend this lense.