Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Sigma

Length4 in
    MPN545109
    Product ID20724902

• Aperture range: f/2.8-32
  • Min focus: 40 cm /15.7 in.
  • Equipped with Perfect Hood
  • Lens mounts: Sigma SA, Minolta, Nikon (D), Pentax, Canon

Submitted by aaron cooper a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2007

Strengths:    Color, price.

Weaknesses:    Soft at higher apatures and high zoom.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this lens for it's fast 2.8 and because I do a lot of low light photography. For the price, it's a great lens, but I've been frustrated with some minor issues. At 2.8 - 70mm it's very soft -- so much so that I thought the lens was defective and was missing the focus (actually, it might be).

At higher speeds it's a lot better however. Color is fantastic.

Purchased At:   I forgot

Similar Products Used:   Tamron 24-135. Sigma 24mm 1.8. Nikon 18-55.

Submitted by Hobbiebob a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2004

Strengths:    - Rather well build body (EX finish), does not feel cheap,
    - Zoom is not a slow a some people want to make us think,
    - Same 77mm filter size as the 70-200 f2.8 EX (a logical follow up to this lens),
    - Cheap, value for money,
    - Great image quality especially for 390 euro's!

Weaknesses:    - Focus is bit noisy, but I don't think it will scare anybody :)
    - Plastic hood could be a bit fragile in outdoor use,
    - When zooming, the front lens comes in/out. I'm used to have internal zoom lenses.

Bottom Line:
    Just bought this lens after good consideration en try-out. I believe a zoomlens could never weigh up to a prime, and you cannot compare it with (for example) a Nikon 28-70 f2.8, it's not for nothing 3 times as cheap! For the rest, I think I bought just the right one..!

Purchased At:   Foto Konijnenberg Ne

Similar Products Used:   Sigma 15-30 3.5-4.5EX, Sigma 70-200 f2.8EX, Nikon 24-85 f3.5-4.5 IF-DG

Submitted by mjsphoto a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2004

Strengths:    Works well with my EOS Elan 7 & 7E's. Color, contrast and sharpness were much better than expected, and don't leave me wishing for L glass. If I do my job, this lens is capable of pro looking results.

Weaknesses:    AF motor is slightly slow and noisy. Dual focus mechanism could be simplified. Neither are a big deal to me.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this lens new over two years ago and have never regretted it. This lens has been on many trips with me and rain or shine it never let me down. Useable wide open, looks great at f4, and really shines at f8-f11. For the price of the lens there's not much to complain about. For those without the cash flow to buy a Canon L lens or similar this lens is more than capable of taking excellent photographs.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Various Canon and Sigma lenses.

Submitted by Niels de Boissezon a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2003

Strengths:    - Optical performance - as good as a prime in the wide end!
    - Good, pleasing slighly warm color rendition
    - Good finish and durability, no loose fittings
    - Suplied hood
    - Depth of field markings
    - Very good value

Weaknesses:    - AF slow and noisy
    - Weight and bulk compared to a similar f4 zoom
    - switching from AF to MF

Bottom Line:
    I've bought this lens to replace my crummy old 28-80 consumer zoom. I did have some doubts considering all the bad press Sigma has gotten - but this one was on sale from a very reliable store so i took a chance...

The first thing I've noticed was the extra bulk and weight - this is a large lens and it impresses people around (especially with the hood) and it is harder to take pictures unnoticed (d***!), but you'll eventually get used to that and a bonus is that some people preffer to be captured on photo with a "pro"-looking lens such as this one rather than a cheap looking consumer lens - you win some and loose some... The build quality is good and I personnaly prefer it over Canons midrange lenses build. And it has survived some sprinkling of water and a 5 foot fall (with the lens cap on though) from the top of my car onto a dirt ground without any damage, just a few scratches! (that aren't that visible on Sigmas EX finish)
    The next thing you'll notice is the rather poor (and loud!) AF - It focuses slower than the 28-80 on my EOS 500n, you'll end up wishing you had a more powerfull body to make it AF better but still it focuses right with not to much hunting. The handling of this lens is comfortable but it has a few quiks: the zooming ring is stiff between 28 and 40 mm and smooth from 40 to 70 mm, The manual focusing ring is very nice and comfortable (MUCH better than the 28-80) but the shifting from AF is cumbersome; you'll have to swith the AF/MF button AND pull the focusing ring back, you might loose some action shots because of this akward design.
    Finally but not the least the optical performance: This is really a good lens! It performs very well wide open in the 28-50 mm range and at f8 the performance is excellent troughout the range. I've gotten some Sensia 100 slides that have that "3D pop out of the screen"-feel and A4 sized prints come out great. The only drawback is its performance in the long end wide open - I'd say that this lens at 70@2.8 is on par with the 28-80 at 80@5.6 (color on the Sigma is better though) - not stellar performance. This is a drawback for portraiture, portraits at 70@2.8 aren't that sharp.

This lens review wouldn't be complete without a price consideration. I think that the reviews comparing it with Canons L series do not make sense - it costs 4 times as much! At 2500 DKK (~350 USD) it is in the same league as Canons 28-105/3.5-4.5 and 24-85/3.5-4.5 in which I think it is a very strong performer.

So to wrap it up I'd give it a C+ for handling,B for build quality, C- for AF, A- for optical performance. Given its price tag I'd recommend it for anyone wanting a versatile low-light lens with good optics.

Purchased At:   Photografica

Similar Products Used:   Canon 28-80/3.5-5.6
    Canon 28/2.8
    Canon 50/1.8
    Canon 70-210/3.5-4.5 USM

Submitted by softtower a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    Sharp, good even at f2.8 and sharpness is even across the entire frame. Good contrast, good colors (only slightly warmer than Canon's 50mm prime which I also own).
    Great build quality. Manual focus ring is a pleasure to use. Comes with a great lens bag.

Weaknesses:    Autofocus is fast, but noisy and sometimes it misses.

Bottom Line:
    I am Canon user and I shoot with this lens on Canon 10D.

I am surprised how low this lens is rated here, even lower than 24-70mm EX (which is actually MUCH worse). I think I know why: because there are two versions of Sigma's 28-70mm. One has "DF" suffix in it's name and another one doesn't. EX DF is newer and better. And here is why.

"DF" stands for dual focus. It's actually just a clutch between the focusing motor and manual focus ring, which you can disengage, allowing lens to focus faster. But as far as I know DF version has slightly improved optics as well (or maybe Sigma improved their quality control), many people have reported that DF version is sharper.

I love this lens. It blows away Canon's "non-L" zooms: it's sharper, it's VERY usable at f2.8 and it's the only non-L zoom in this range, that I'm aware of, which does it.

The only problem with this lens is that Canon's USM is better. That's it. Optically it's almost there, and it's built better than all Canon's "prosumer" zooms. And it's only $300 (and can be had for less than that, just shop around).

I know how photos taken with 24-70 f/2.8L look like. Having played with that lens I am no in a hurry to pay $1000 more to get one. So I highly recommend this Sigma, it's the "next best thing" to Canon's L zoom.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo

Similar Products Used:   Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro SV (unusable f2.8 and too heavy for me)
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (too soft wide open, corners are always soft)
    Canon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 (too soft in the corners, no f2.8)