Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Sigma

Diaphragm Blades9 Blades
    Picture Angle12.3 - 34.3 degrees
    Designed for Digital CameraYes
    UPC85126568559

Sigma's new Hyper Sonic Motors (H.S.M.) provide silent, responsive autofocus action with Canon, Sigma, and now Nikon AF cameras. H.S.M. also permits manual adjustment of focus without the necessity of switching off the autofocus function. Focus Free mechanism keeps the manual focus ring from spinning when the camera is autofocusing.

Submitted by Lawrence a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2010

Strengths:    Solid Bulit! feels good on the hand and cam, beautiful, heavy but i like heavy lens which help me stable. excellent optics and color. fast and quite focus.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
This lens is excellent! ive purchase used coz of the price and im looking for a 2.8 tele. im thankful ive found this lens. Very sharp even wide open. Ive test and re-test this lens at all app and focal length and lighting condition and works very well. Ive read reviews here saying that this lens is soft. i think they just dont know kow to use this one properly or they have a bad copy? this is a great lens and will be on my bag for a long time! this one is even better with the new DG and macro version i think (base on what the reviews on others. not tested the DG versions yet.) for the price this is unbeatable! can be compared to the big boys Nikon and canon really! at the end of the day i think soft ness of lenses can be blame on the photographer sometimes though there are soft lenses really that sucks! and this one doesnt belong to that category.. ive purchase other sigma lens and i find them really sharp if use properly and technic applied.

Submitted by kool100vr4 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2007

Strengths:    best tele lens in this range.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I have great experience with many Sigma EX lenses, so to get this Sigma 70-200mm EX HSM F2.8, i have no doubt that it will produces great image quality, indeed its razor sharp lens. Its not to my surprise that it will, it has a beautiful petal hood, good size but not too heavy, HSM is very quiet, most of the time i dont even hear AF, it produces very contrasty, strong colors and razor cutting edge sharp. I use it with my 2 Fuji S2 & S3 pros and Nikon d50, with Sigma EX lenses and Fujis super CCD i get best pictures quality, today i dont think any DSLR can out do this combinations.
Im very happy with all Sigma EX lenses i got. with this said, ive sold all my Canon and Nikon gears to keep FUJI and Sigmas.
Sigma is the biggest lens company maker in this world..the name to trust.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 80-200mm f2.8

Submitted by robert voors a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Fast focus, excellent optics.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
When I bought my Nikon D70 in 2005, I also got myself a 70-300G lens, for about 100 Euros. If you do not want to shoot moving objects at large distances at 300mm, it's not too bad, but if your subject is either moving or far away, it's pretty bad. So, I decided to get a lens that focuses fast and has much better optical quality, and also a much better build. The Nikkor 70-200 VR I found too expensive, and with this Sigma lens - my first - I have not been disappointed. It's fast, sharp (even at 2.8) and colors are good too.

Similar Products Used:   Well, sort of. 70-300G. No match.

Submitted by robert behnke a Expert

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    2.8 and super clean pictures. I have used this at events to shoot head shots from a across the room. Clients are always impressed. Clean, clear, with a smooth blurred out background.

Weaknesses:    If you like to hike... I am talking 10 miles with a huge 5200 cu in pack for many days in a row, you are going to wonder why you brought it. Takes large amounts of space and weights more than your tent....

Bottom Line:
This is a great lens with little to complain about... I used to spend most of my time taking performing arts photos... opera, theater, ballet, etc. Anybody that has ever been to a show knows that the lighting can be an issue. Opera and theater are not much of an issue but the quick movement of ballet + low light = 2.8. After taking photos at one show a 'pro' photographer took a look at this lens... the next time we meet on a shoot he owed one. This lens is impressive.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   used a canon 3.5 75-300 (I think) Lens sucked.

Submitted by MLeensen a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2006

Strengths:    Great optics
Sturdy
77 mm filters
Nice looks (luckily it is not a white lens)
Broad MF ring
Good combo with 1.4 teleconverter

Weaknesses:    Large, but what do you expect?!

Bottom Line:
A lens without weaknesses. This lens is sharp, sturdy and reliable. When I looked for a nice telezoom, the Minolta versions were way out of my financial budget. I used a Tokina 80-200/2.8, which was not sharp and very, very heavy.
This Sigma lens I consider as one of my best buys. The first specimen sent to me had some scratches on the front glass. The second specimen was and still is perfect.

I have used the lens intensively during travels and for theater. In both cases it performs very well. Very high sharpness, although some 'testing' of mine revealed some softness around 70 mm/F2.8. But that could be just my specimen. I also have the 1,4 teleconverter and the combo behaves very good. Some reviewers stated that it performs even better with the teleconverter(?) than without.

AF speed has never been a problem for me, but I don't need very high standards in that region (I don't do motorcars etc.). MF focusing goes smoothly, although one will have to adapt to the AF/MF procedure on the lens. This is just a minor con.

On the 7D this lens offers you a very nice 105-280/2.8 lens, which works like a dream in landscape photography. The lens has a sturdy and stable tripod mount. But combined with the AS function on the 7D this lens also offers great opportunities hand held.

This lens comes with a handy soft case, especially handy when traveling.

Purchased At:   foto konijnenberg Th