Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Sony

Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 35mm Zoom

5 star rating
                      5 / 5 (1 Reviews)
Focal Length : 16mm - 35mm | Max. Aperture : f/2.8  | Focus : Autofocus

The Carl Zeiss lenses are Sony's premium optic line for their Alpha cameras. The 16-35mm zoom is perfect for dramatic landscapes, interiors and unique perspective shots. The Carl Zeiss 16-35mm zoom has superb corner-to-corner consistency with resolution, contrast, image and brightness maintained at all corners and chromatic aberration is minimized with Super Extra-low Dispersion (Super ED) elements.

Submitted by Greg McCary a Expert

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2013

Strengths:    Sharp, fast focus, rugged build, smooth operation

Weaknesses:    heavy, cost

Bottom Line:
What can I say. I love Zeiss lenses. The is the brother of the 24-70mm. They are identical in size and weight. The 16-35mm is sharp and handles distortion very well. There is minimal flaring even in difficult lighting.
I shot with the Minolta 17-35mm G lens for awhile but upgraded to the 16-35mm. You simply can't go wrong with this lens. I am not one to do a lot of extensive testing as when I shoot it's for keepers.So I don't do a lot of playing around at wide apertures and check corner sharpness. But I can say at 5.6 and up this lens is exceptionally sharp even in the corners. I have noticed with Zeiss lenses colors, contrast and sharpness are much better than other lenses out of camera so less post processing work is needed. You probably can get similar results from other lenses with more effort. To me that's the biggest difference between a Zeiss and any other lens. That and the superior build quality.

Purchased At:   KEH