Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Tamron

Picture Angle8 - 33 degrees
    Diameter3 in
    MPNaf276c700
    Product ID20724436

This ultra tele-zoom lens, which inherits its optical configuration from the previous TAMRON 70-300mm, employs an entirely new mechanical design and construction aimed at achieving its lightweight convenience and 1:2 macro feature.

Submitted by jhodges a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    Zooms up to 300mm
Inexpensive
Seems solid
Plenty sharp

Weaknesses:    Autofocus is loud, slow
Apertures not good for most indoor events

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens in 2002 when I felt I needed a longer lens for my new camera. Up to that point I only had a 28-80 that came with my Rebel 2000. That didn't get me close enough to some subjects, like animals, birds. I didn't do much research before I bought, just took some salesmen's advice. Some people I knew recommended a Quantaray lens of the same length, and the Canon lens was too expensive for me then. I saw this one and it came with a free 1.4X TC at the time, so I decided to go with it. It has been great. I've used it a lot the past 3 years.

I won't go into how sharp or colorful the lens is vs. other lenses. I will say it has worked exactly like it's supposed to since I got it. The macro has been nice for a few things. Plenty sharp for close-ups. The zoom range is good for arenas, but you have to be aware of how much lighting you have. Focus is slow and loud compared to Canon USM lenses, but manual focus is smooth and easy. Generally, this lens is good for outdoors, large amounts of light, or tripod or monopod mounting otherwise. The long focal lengths are good for portraits, but you don't get the thin depth-of-field of lenses with wider apertures.

Purchased At:   Valley Fair Camera

Similar Products Used:   Canon EF 28-80 II, 200mm f2.8, 100mm f2

Submitted by Benfica44 a Casual

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2005

Strengths:    Price
quality of pictures taken( yes you will need a tripod in low light at 300mm)

Weaknesses:    A bit load motor but i dont care i dont shoot in a library.

Bottom Line:
This camera , regardless of other reviews I have read, has no faults what so ever when you consider the quality of shots you get to the amount of money you paid. There is not one review or test out there that shows me that an L series lens has 3-4x the optical quality that the tamron lens has, yet they cost 4-10x higher. Is it the best lens, of course not, but it gives you superb quality photo's, and lets be real it only cost you less then 200 bucks. People stop writing reviews comparing it to other lenses that cost 2-5x more unless you can prove there image quality is that much better, and all the independent test will show you that the expensive lens are better but not by much. If you need a pro lens then for sure buy the best lens (Canon L's)but for the majority of photographer that rely on these reviews this lens is a great purchase. Too loud some say then wear ear plugs the noise level really is not that bad. Sorry but i needed to vent. Hate to see people who knock a lens but then tell you the only alternative is to spend over 1000 bucks, give me a break

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Canon 18-55
canon 28-135 is usm

Submitted by bananaman a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Useful macro ability.
Light and relatively portable.
Autofocus is accurate and rarely hunts (unless used for macro)

Weaknesses:    Autofocus is noisy and slow
Colour seems lacking

Bottom Line:
A good lens at the price. Reasonable sharpness, especially stopped down sligthly. Light and easy to handhold, but whatch shutter speed at long lengths. One review said to use a shutter speed of 1/750th at 300mm but I have no trouble at 1/350th or 1/250th.
Colour is OK but does seem a little flat compared to my old Tamron 28-200 which it replaced. Macro function is useful but fast film is advisable if you want to hand hold as its at the 180-300mm zoom setting. I have had great macro results with this lens and extension tubes.

Purchased At:   Stallards Camera Hou

Similar Products Used:   Nothing with a similar range, a few different 'super-zoom' 28-200's would be the closest

Submitted by Christiano a Professional

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2004

Strengths:    very versatile....MACRO function....manual function...range from 70-300......good with a tele converter(on tripod) and WEIGHT! and sharpness and non distortion..
ITS TRULY A BEST BUY!

Weaknesses:    The price

Bottom Line:
I have the 572 DE model(it seems theres to models of the same product out there)
well,all in all im quite happy with this tamron 70-300 LD and i find it very good considering the prize and weight.
Sometimes i hate to bring The heavy >L>glass from Canon with me,or when i travel for joy i bring this Tamron and the Canon 18-55 with me as the only lenses covering a range of 18-300 mm!
I either put it on a Digital rebel or Canon EOS 100(lovely machine..both are!)and GET the pictures,of course none of them are in the hight end class but please note the price !
Anyway often when i concentrate and remember to put it on my Manfrotto travel Tripod i get surprisingly good results,and satiesfied with the results.
Also remember to put on a good 62 mm filter!

Purchased At:   bingo foto

Similar Products Used:   many from canon and nikon minolta of very pro class!

Submitted by darylehret a Casual

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Strengths:    Model 572D is great in the 70-300mm range for distant and close subjects. I prefer the 472D for action/distance shooting, when using a teleconverter.

Weaknesses:    Model 572D tends to hunt ALOT in low-light closer subject conditions when using a teleconverter.

Bottom Line:
I own both the 572D 1:2 macro and the 472D 1:3.9 macro models. One thing I have noticed, is that when using the Tamron 1.4 teleconverter with these lenses on my N90, the focus speed is much better on the previous model, especially in low-light conditions.