Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Tokina

Tokina AT-X 270 AF Pro II 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 35mm Zoom

4.4/5 (57 Reviews)

Tokina redesigned the AT-X 270AF with a new focusing system which increases AF speed and provides a more stable way to handle the lens. Durability has also been increased by using an all metal body. Multi-coating has been applied to a larger number of lens surfaces improving contrast while reducing reflections and ghosting. HLD (High Refraction Low Dispersion) glass is also used with this new version.

Submitted by fotofill a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2011

Strengths:    +Sharp wide open +Short throw zoom +2.8-2.6 makes it applicable for dark

Weaknesses:    The lens is heavy (From Jurassic Park when the kid picked-up the binoculars... He was asked, "Are they heavy?" he replied that they were. "Then they must be expensive, put them down."

Bottom Line:
This lens came to me new. I have used it for weddings, sports, just about for everything. It's heavy because it full of wonderful glass. Angenieux designed this lens. Others think that is what made it the quality instrument that it is. It came with a 10 year warranty. I sent it back to Tokina once, because the was a little catch in the zoom mechanism. This lens was always attached to a camera as it was used often.
It now sits on a shelf, as a "back-up" whatever that is. I had a Nikon 24-70 at the same time TI had this lens. I really thought the Tokina was sharper, so I used it more.

Purchased At:   Roberts. Dist.

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 17-35 Nikon 24-70

Submitted by tman a Casual

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2011

Strengths:    Sharp, good colors

Weaknesses:    Exposure off
Chromatic abheration if you pixel peep

Bottom Line:
I have used this as my workhorse lens with Nikon on film for >12 years. When I moved to Digital I compared this lens against recently acquired primes and fast zoom lenses always testing on a tripod on the same subject.

On my D7000 pixel peeping, I see no difference in sharpness between this lens and my other lenses. I find that the lens overexposes 1 stop (it chooses different settings for speed) if I do not set on the body to correct it. It has considerable obvious chromatic abheration (purple) taking images indoors if you pixel peep. It also has what I see as not great bokeh (looks busy when you have an unfavorable background).

That said, I am very happy with the quality of this lens given the low price I paid and the images it takes are quite sharp even fully open (though improved with stopping down as many prime and zoom lenses do. Lens is reasonably fast if the camera body is decent (good speed on D7000). though certainly not equivalent of the best AFS's or even the much better than average.

Hunts sometimes if it misses the focus, but not as badly as Nikon 180ED-IF 2.8.

Overall, I would say a good example of this lens is fairly priced and I see the high end Nikkor zooms as largely overpriced for what they deliver in comparison. Owning this lens for a $300 price used should be a pleasant experience. Enjoy!!!

Purchased At:   B&H

Nikon 55/2.8 AIS Macro
Nikon 70-300ED

Submitted by Ricco a Professional

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2010

Strengths:    Very sharp

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
Build quality, sharp and speedy at a good price.

Purchased At:   BH Photo

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 28-70

Submitted by ncphotoman a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2010

Strengths:    Build quality, sharp and speedy at a good price.

Weaknesses:    Hood not much use.

Bottom Line:
Bought this used to get a faster lens than my Canon 17-40 f/4 L. Thought I might miss the 17 but so far not and I do enjoy the extra length at 60+.

Very fast lens and so far sharp though out the range. Build quality high. Motor is pretty quiet.

Has some bulk to it but similar to 17-40.

Purchased At:   Ebay Japan

Similar Products Used:   Canon 17-40 f/4 L
Canon 17-85
Canon 17-55
Nikon 17-55
Olympus 14-42

Submitted by Shadokachr a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2009

Strengths:    Built like a tank. Fast glass. Reliable, even after 12 years.

Weaknesses:    Slightly soft at 70mm at f2.6
Manual - Af switch is a pain on top of the clutch.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Tokina 28-70 AT-X Pro 2.6 -2.8 in 1997. Originally, I wanted to purchase the Canon 28-70 2.8 L, but I didn't want to part with $1400. So I tried the Tokina. This is a solid heavy duty piece of glass. I have traveled the world with this lens and 12 years later it is still going strong.
I have used this lens for thousands of rolls of 35mm and now thousands of digital pics.
The 28-70 has been my go-to lens for years. Now that my main camera, Canon 50D, has a 1.6 conversion factor, I do use my Tokina 12 -24 a fair amount, but the 28-70 is one of those lenses I can't seem to replace.
I am, however, getting ready to send it back to Tokina for a clean and adjust.
Would I buy another Tokina? Yes, I already have, three times since. Soon to be four.