Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Tokina

Tokina AT-X 270 AF Pro II 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 35mm Zoom

4.41/5 (58 Reviews)

Tokina redesigned the AT-X 270AF with a new focusing system which increases AF speed and provides a more stable way to handle the lens. Durability has also been increased by using an all metal body. Multi-coating has been applied to a larger number of lens surfaces improving contrast while reducing reflections and ghosting. HLD (High Refraction Low Dispersion) glass is also used with this new version.

Submitted by Peter a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2015

Strengths:    Sharp, cinematic image quality. Good mechanics, parfocal design suitable for filmmaking/video use. Inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to find a good copy without centering issues.

Bottom Line:
This is an extraordinary lens, which we use both for photography and filmmaking. For the later it is unmatched as the best cine zoom below 19K. Originally designed in the 1980s by the French cinema lens manufacturer Angenieux, the optical design was later licensed to Tokina for mass production in the 1990s. Sharpness is good wide open and great by 5.6 with cinematic image quality to the rendering and colors, virtually no breathing in the focus, parfocal performance when zooming, and good mechanics which are smooth and damped (decent focus path for pulling focus and a linear zoom action). Providing you have the time and patience to track down a good copy (many have centering issues) either the Version I or II is excellent. I have found this lens to outperform the much more expensive Nikon AF-S (except in terms of absolute sharpness). It is very inexpensive, fairly lightweight (at around 750 grams) but difficult to find. It can also be adapted to a variety of mirrorless mounts or used with a Speed Booster for low light. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S, Nikon 28-70 f/3.5-4.5D

Submitted by fotofill a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2011

Strengths:    +Sharp wide open +Short throw zoom +2.8-2.6 makes it applicable for dark

Weaknesses:    The lens is heavy (From Jurassic Park when the kid picked-up the binoculars... He was asked, "Are they heavy?" he replied that they were. "Then they must be expensive, put them down."

Bottom Line:
This lens came to me new. I have used it for weddings, sports, just about for everything. It's heavy because it full of wonderful glass. Angenieux designed this lens. Others think that is what made it the quality instrument that it is. It came with a 10 year warranty. I sent it back to Tokina once, because the was a little catch in the zoom mechanism. This lens was always attached to a camera as it was used often.
It now sits on a shelf, as a "back-up" whatever that is. I had a Nikon 24-70 at the same time TI had this lens. I really thought the Tokina was sharper, so I used it more.

Purchased At:   Roberts. Dist.

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 17-35 Nikon 24-70

Submitted by tman a Casual

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2011

Strengths:    Sharp, good colors

Weaknesses:    Exposure off
Chromatic abheration if you pixel peep

Bottom Line:
I have used this as my workhorse lens with Nikon on film for >12 years. When I moved to Digital I compared this lens against recently acquired primes and fast zoom lenses always testing on a tripod on the same subject.

On my D7000 pixel peeping, I see no difference in sharpness between this lens and my other lenses. I find that the lens overexposes 1 stop (it chooses different settings for speed) if I do not set on the body to correct it. It has considerable obvious chromatic abheration (purple) taking images indoors if you pixel peep. It also has what I see as not great bokeh (looks busy when you have an unfavorable background).

That said, I am very happy with the quality of this lens given the low price I paid and the images it takes are quite sharp even fully open (though improved with stopping down as many prime and zoom lenses do. Lens is reasonably fast if the camera body is decent (good speed on D7000). though certainly not equivalent of the best AFS's or even the much better than average.

Hunts sometimes if it misses the focus, but not as badly as Nikon 180ED-IF 2.8.

Overall, I would say a good example of this lens is fairly priced and I see the high end Nikkor zooms as largely overpriced for what they deliver in comparison. Owning this lens for a $300 price used should be a pleasant experience. Enjoy!!!

Purchased At:   B&H