Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Tokina

Closest Focusing Distance70.87 in
    Picture Angle12 - 30 degrees
    MPNatx828afprop
    Product ID20723708

This is a model built to professional specifications and is based on the AT-X 828AF optical system. Tokina has utilized coating changes in the optical system and the unique floating element system separately focuses the first three and last two elements in the forward lens groups. This provides uniformly high image quality from infinity to close focus. The new exterior finish improves overall handling and durability. A focus clutch mechanism further assures top performance during auto and manual focusing.

Submitted by ncphotoman a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2010

Strengths:    Build quality. Fast.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy. Shade is a pain.

Bottom Line:
Bought to replace canon 70-200 f/4L. Wanted to try a faster lens. Overall it is great. I have found it searches a little in dark situations but I think that is me getting used to it. Built like a tank.

Can anybody tell me about the metal shade cover. How does it come off etc?

Overall quality is high based on dollars spent.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Canon 70-200 f/4 L
Pentax 55-200
Nikon 70-300

Submitted by davemc a Expert

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    Fast lense and highly rugged and resiliant construction. Comes with a tripod mount on the lense.

Focus ring has solid feel and makes it easy to get to the settings you want. No slop or loose feeling mechanism, as I have experienced over time with more "name brand" lense setups. Nice size and configuration gives a good control of the lense during the shoot, even off a tripod.

I like to take nature shots, and this lense does it for me, even in less than perfect light levels.

Weaknesses:    People clain a soft f/2.8, but I have not experienced it with mine. I have had mine for many years, but do not see any manufacturing changes since my purchase.

The only weakness is from purists who insist only "name brands" can curry their favor. Quite frankly, nothing will ever satisfy them. Let them spend 4 times as much for similar quality. I know what has worked for me, and done so for the long haul.

Bottom Line:
Simply one of the best of my Canon lenses. I have been through many in the past 20+ years, and this lense has held up to the test of time.

I have watched other lenses hit the market with similar specs, at many times the price, and I have yet to find a more compelling piece of hardware. It simply "does the job" of etting the shot I want, when I want it. People say the f/2.8 is a little soft, but I have had no problems at that stop. The high speed gets the image for me.

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   Canon
Nikon
Pentax

Submitted by eonsum a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    Build quality and optical performens!

Weaknesses:    Like every other f 2.8 lens, it's better stoped down to f 4.

Bottom Line:
Of all lenses i have used, this is the one I trust the most. The build quality is superior to everthing I have come across, and it is allways with me on nature shoots.

Purchased At:   ebay germany

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 80-200
Sigma 70-200

Submitted by kool100vr4 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2005

Strengths:    best strong build, heavy, solid, great optics, best price, great looks, got tripod collar a big plus.comes with big hood and nice leather case.very pro feel and looks.

Weaknesses:    only complain i have is for those whos bashing tokina atx.im pround to have replaced it with my others canons and nikon lenses.tokina is way of shooting.

Bottom Line:
i have just sold both of my nikon g lenses to get this tokina atx pro f2.8 80-200mm..after a month of testing it out, i must say its the best lens in its range..no doubt, i love it..its beats all nikon in its price range..i sold my 3 nikon lenses. 24-120mm, 18-55mm, and 28-200mm, to replace with this tokina atx..its got all the beef i want..its got best build, quality, design, great optics, awesome results in pics, very sharp in all ranges, nice colors, very contrasty...what else does one can ask for? , its a perfect lens for my shooting..i use it on my fuji s2 pro, also , i have the tokina atx pro f2.8 28-70mm and the sigma 15-30mm too, its the best combo any fotoman can have..best buy, go out and buy all these 3 i mention here, u'll be 1 happy fotoman..and save money too.trust me..i give it a 6 stars.lol.

Purchased At:   ebay