Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Vivitar

Vivitar Series 1 28-90 f/2.8-3.5 MF 35mm Zoom

3.46/5 (13 Reviews)

Out-of-production Vivitar premium, manual focus zoom lens.

Submitted by Joe Cap a Expert

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2013

Strengths:    Very well made, decent contrast

Weaknesses:    Soft wide open, falloff, verifocal design, flair, not well suited for the digital age.

Bottom Line:
I originally bought this lens in 1983 when I was 19. All of the photo mags (Modern Photography and Popular Photography) had the ads showing the high resolution numbers and describing it as the best wide zoom available. Stopped down to f5.6-16, it performed like a prime with film and slides.
in 2006 I went digital and decided to buy one in Nikon mount along with an Nikon to EF adapter(glass free). When used on a 5D and 10D it was quite bad, a clear reminder of lens progress since 1983. Pass on it..

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Canon 28-105mm, Tamron SP 24-135mm,Canon 35-105 f3.5-4.5,Canon 100-300 f5.6L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon Efs 17-85mm, Tamron 11-18mm

Submitted by Alan Jones a Casual

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
Used on an Olympus 4/3 DSLR with no major issues. Very good close up lens at wider end but not especially useful for landscape, far too soft at landscape apetures.

Suffers badly from aperture ghosting at big apertures, even pointing it at the moon at midnight wil make it flare.

Not bad fro fringing though, seen worse, seen better.

Good general lens, would make a nice portrait lens I think but wtach out for harsh backlighting or you're going to get problems!

Purchased At:   ebay

Submitted by Rob Valine a Professional

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2007

Strengths:    Good Quality lens for price range.
Equal to or better than higher priced lenses.
Solid Construction.
Both Sharp and fast.

Weaknesses:    No longer in production. You have to buy it used. Ebay is a good place to find one.

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens used about 7 or 8 years ago. I found it to be a very good all around fast zoom and a useful Macro lens. It has been my workhorse as long as I've had it. I shoot with Contax, Yashica and Nikon Bodies and have a sizeable lens collection. Of all my lenses, this has been the one I've used most often. I keep it on my back up camera when I shoot weddings. I usually use 2 cameras for weddings. I'll use a fast prime lens on my main camera and the Vivitar 28-90 on the 2nd camera. I also have found that it's fast enough to shoot live Rock Bands in low light. Stage lighting can be very difficult and a fast lens is necessary. This lens is perfect for that. I think it was well worth the puchase price. I shot thousands of images with this lens. I've found this to be a very professional and useful lens. I would recommend this lens to anyone from a beginner to professional. To see photos that were taken with this lens, Go to my web site at www.RobValineimages.com and type in the search feature "Vivitar series 1 28-90mm lens". A lot of my photos are tagged with the lens that was used to take them.

Purchased At:   Adorama

Similar Products Used:   Tamron 28-105mm F2.8
Zeiss 28-85mm F3.3-4

Submitted by Bryan Rieth a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Strengths:    Nice, fast zoom lens
Nice balancing lens with a camera that weighs six pounds
Useful for shooting sports like, skateboarding, BMX, etc.

Weaknesses:    Weight with other camera...
No depth of field scale
Slow aperture blades
Unstable feel
Etc...

Bottom Line:
I'm not going to say that this is the best lens I've ever owned...far from it. It's very heavy, some-what unstable, the aperture blades don't work as quickly as they should, and the lens does vignette the image to some degree. But for all its short comings, it is a rather useful lens. It's fast for a zoom (1:2.8-3.5), its quite sharp, and most of all, it's easy to use. I don't really mind the negative points about it. The vignetting I've seen with it is very minor, nothing that couldn't be cropped out. Also, I use a Nikon F2 with an MD-2/MB-1, and that's a HEAVY camera, so the lens's weight actually is quite...balancing. It's not a perfect lens, but it's useful-ness outweighs its downfalls.

Purchased At:   National Camera