Home | Reviews | Lenses | Medium Format | Mamiya

Mamiya 7 43mm f/4 Medium Format

4.58/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Kambiz a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    lightness, sharpness in theie image.

Weaknesses:    Even the second hand lenses is extremely expensive.

Bottom Line:
It is one of those excellent camera for those people who enjoy outdoor and taking shot from vast beautiful landscape.
It is very light and their image is sharper than my own eyes.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Second Hand Shop

Submitted by Andreas Genz a Expert from Berlin

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Strengths:    mechanical quality and sharpness

Weaknesses:    price, viewfinder

Bottom Line:
I have three lenses for the Mamiya 7: 80mm, 150mm and 43 mm . Mostly I use the 80mm (50%), next is the 43mm (35%). The optical quality of the 43mm lens is good. It shows little distortion and normal light fall off for a wide angle lens. It is very sharp.I had no problems with metering.The mechanical quality is very good. I do not like the viewfinder and the hood.

Purchased At:   Bremaphot Berlin

Similar Products Used:   Nikon AFD 2.8/20

Submitted by noshima a Professional from Manila, Philppines

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Strengths:    Sharp to the edges, little falloff at the corners, good contrast. Flare is pretty low considering how wide this lens is. In fact its the widest 6x7 lens you can buy. The way I shoot it's priceless, the whole reason I bought this system.

Weaknesses:    Can't trust the camera light meter with this lens. I gave up and use a hand-held meter all the time. The optical viewfinder is merely a suggestion of what you get and the bubble level is not very accurate. Lens shade is flimsy piece of plastic. I broke mine and ended up shooting a lot without it. Didn't seem to make much difference so I wonder how effective it really is.

Bottom Line:
Great lens. Sharp and even. Very little falloff at the edges, Photos don't have the usual wideange effect of vignetted edges so that viewers don't often realize they were made with such an extreme wideangle lens. I've tried most of the 120mm wides, including the Hasselblad SWC, 40, 50 and 60mm and I think this is the best. When I shoot the Mamiya, I use this lens about 95% of the time (I tried the Mamiya 50mm but it just didn't do it for me). You've got to know how to use it, though and get up close to your subject.

Purchased At:   Hong Kong

Similar Products Used:   Mamiya 50mm, Hasselblad SWC, 40mm, 50mm, 60mm.

Submitted by PAQUAY Ben a Expert from Luxembourg

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    Sharpness
Well built

Weaknesses:    Somewhat less versatile than other wide angle lens

Bottom Line:
The lens is very sharp but the angle is so wide that you might choose the 50 mm for less extreme pictures.

Shop it at Jessops.com, the price, £1249.5 in the UK is the cheapest ive seen compared to continental Europe

Purchased At:   Jessops

Similar Products Used:   Lens N 80 mm
Fuji GX 617
Rollei 6003

Submitted by plearn a Intermediate from Bangkok Thailand

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    sharpness.

Weaknesses:    Don't trust the spirit level on the provided viewfinder, it's so inaccurate that I have to put my own spirit level on top of camera and it works ok. The other problem is on Depth of field scale which also way off. I 'm not sure these problems are fixable but I can't fix them in Thailand.

Bottom Line:
I like this lens.

Purchased At:   Bangkok

Similar Products Used:   Mamiya 6MF with 50,75 mm, Bronica Gs-1 50,110,150mm Leica M6 35mm f2