Home | Reviews | Printers | Inkjet Photo Paper | Kodak

Darkroom Supply TypePhotographic Paper

• Exceptional picture quality
  • Fast drying
  • Heavier weight
  • Compatible with all inkjet printers
  • Size: 8.5 x 11 and 11 x 17
  • Surface: High Gloss, Satin

Submitted by Rose a Casual

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2009

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    listed above

Bottom Line:
    This paper does NOT work well with my HP printer...i havent had this problem with any other paper but then ink does not seem to stick to this paper...it prints with bad quality and the ink smears on this paper...Do NOT buy it. In my opinon, Kodak is excelent for film not digital prints.

Purchased At:   Office Depot

Similar Products Used:   HP Photo Paper - Great
    Epson - Great (but my printer doesn't like to print boarderless for some reason with this paper?? but it prints okay
    Kirkland brand - Great

Submitted by burdickr a Professional

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2008

Strengths:    Fine looking temporary prints

Weaknesses:    Melting & degrading seems like a proble.

Bottom Line:
    Dear Kodak.

I have had interesting experiences with your Ultima and Premium papers recently.

I am printing from Epson R1800 & R2500 printers on Tabloid size.

I am readying prints for a show and am wanting to mount on a heavy backing.

Hear is what I have discovered:

Your paper melts and wrinkles at 200º in a dry mount press:
    The ink lifted off of the print to the press backing board:
    Spray mount worked for 24 hours and then failed causing a big wrinkle in the center of the print.

I guess I have to wonder what your paper is good for as it is too thick for the toilet.

Sincerely.

Rob Burdick, Visual Arts Department, Grand Rapids Community College

Purchased At:   ??

Similar Products Used:   Epson, Ilford, Canon

Submitted by East Coast Joe a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth color; satin finish; availability

Weaknesses:    All previously mentioned.

Bottom Line:
    I agree with most of the negative comments other users have about the product; and while I wouldn't recomend purchasing this stuff, it does have its charms for those who might be stuck with a pack.

I tried the Kodak Premium Picture Paper Satin as Canon only makes matte and (very) glossy paper. I thought that the inbetween finish might be nice.

I own a Canon i960 and my experiences with Canon paper were great; no fiddling and perfect pictures. When I tried the Kodak paper I got terrible results until I went to the Kodak website and tried their settings. Pictures were better but not great. When I tried the Kodak settings plus subtracting some black from the prints (through the Canon print driver), I got great results. They still weren't as good as the Canon but I did feel as if I had salvaged the pack.

For Canon users who can't fit the 4x6.5" paper in the 4x6 sheet feeder, I have learned that the lid to the sheet feeder does not need to be close in order to operate; simply leave the lid open and turn the knob to use the paper. Not using the sheet feeder was a definite minus for this paper.

Overall this paper isn't woth the money or the fiddling. On the other hand after some fiddling the color was very nice and very smooth; the images are crisp but not as sharp as the Canon paper. If this stuff were HALF of the price, I would certainly consider it. As things stand now, the Kodak Premium Satin 4x6.5 paper is about $ .25@ vs. Canon Photo Paper Plus-Glossy 4x6 at about $ .15@. No contest as I see it. But hey - don't let the stuff you have go to waste.

Purchased At:   Staples

Similar Products Used:   HP papers; Canon papers; card stock (surprisingly good)

Submitted by Wolfgang Schulze a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2003

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Surface of resulting prints is not glossy at all. Looking at it from the side, you can see it looks like embossed. Colors do not blend well, photo looks overly crisp.
    Using the original Canon Paper, the same printer produces professional photo quality. With this Kodak paper, the same pictures look like cheap stuff. I will not use Kodak paper again.

Bottom Line:
    Used it on the new CANON i860 with original ink cartridges. First negative surprise: although package indicates 4x6, the actual size is 4x6.5. As a result, the flap of the sheet feeder does not close properly. You will have to cut the sheets to make them fit in.

Purchased At:   COSTCO