Home | Reviews | Printers | Photo Printers | Canon

PlatformPC, Mac
    Form FactorDesktop
    Connectivity TechnologyUSB 2.0
    Direct Printing CapabilityPrint Photos Without a PC
    Memory Card CompatibilityCompact Flash Type I • Compact Flash Type II • SmartMedia • Memory Stick • Secure Digital (SD) • Multimedia Card • MicroDrive
    Status PanelMonochrome LCD
    Media TypeEnvelopes • Glossy Photo Paper • Matte Photo Paper • Photo Paper • Plain Paper • Transparencies
    Max Media SizeA4 (210 x 297 mm) • Legal (216 x 356 mm, 8.5 x 14")
    Total Media Capacity100 Sheets
    Installed RAM0.06 MB
    Operating SystemApple MacOS 9 • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Apple MacOS X • Apple MacOS 8
    Warranty1 Year
    Special FeaturesBorderless Printing
    Release DateApril, 2003
    MPN8518A001
    Product ID20718108

Printing your digital photos just got easier. And faster.
  • Built-in memory card slots
  • Connect compatible Canon digital cameras and digital camcorders directly to the i470D Printer
  • Advanced printing for better colors
  • Up to 4800 x 1200 dpi print resolution

Submitted by Raahul Hassan a Casual

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Strengths:    Inexpensive printer
    Inexpensive cartridges
    AMAZING quality

Weaknesses:    None encountered

Bottom Line:
    My girlfriend was shopping for a suitable Christmas gift for me and I suggested the Canon i470D after checking out the price at Office Depot. Turned out it was on sale for $99.63/- and with a coupon for $20 off $100, and a $50 rebate, it worked out to just $35 including taxes!! But that's not the best part..... I figured I'd gotten a great deal on a Canon photo printer (I have a Canon Powershot S30) but I hadn't bargained on getting the exceedingly amazing quality!! I mean, I have seen photo printers elsewhere, but I'm willing to bet none of them come close to matching the i470D. The 4x6 and 8.5x11 snaps I printed out were better than print quality when I used to give my digital images to Walmart!! I am totally impressed by the i470D....turned out to be the best Christmas present ever!!

Purchased At:   Office Depot

Similar Products Used:   HP

Submitted by Jeff a Casual

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Strengths:    cheap ink.
    cheap price.
    natural color tones.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
    I had planned on buying the i960, but decided to look around and ask more questions on what would be the best photo printer around the 200- 300 dollar range.
    I stopped in at fry's electronics and talked to one of the canon venders that happened to be there. He showed me the i470d. The price 69.99.
    I could not believe that a printer at this price range, would equal the quality of something in the 200 dollar range.
    He guarenteed that I would be impressed with it and if not,just bring it back.
    Simple enough. He could have tried to sell me the more expensive one, so I thought he was on the level with me.
    I went home and did not even hook it up to the computer, just set it up straight to the camera and printed up an 8x11 of my daughter in a field of daisies.
    The vender was right, I was impressed. Looked just as if I picked it up at the photo store.
    I was still curious how another higher priced printer would work.
    I took my picture,card,camera and the photo paper(kodak) I used and went to Staples, where they were pushing
    the HP's. I showed them the picture and asked them if the HP can make a better print. They made the print and Even though the colors were vibrant and artificial, it was not true color like the i470d. Especially the skin tone. Since we take a lot of pictues of our kids, we decided to vote for the i470d.
    print.
    Best buy tried to sell us the epsons,but colors were still not natural. In fact they were impressed with the the i470d picture and saw details of the veins in the grass.(used a canon G3 camera).
    At last best buy had the i960 hooked up and to my surprise the skin tone had a tint of red and was not quite there. We did not understand this. since the i960 has an extra color cartridge, I thought it would turn out better.(maybe it was the wrong time of the day.)
    We stayed with i470d and everyone we showed our prints to are facinated that we printed it up ourselves.
    This save me almost 200 bucks.

Best buy also had

Purchased At:   Fry's electronices

Similar Products Used:   epsons
    HP
    both in the 200 to 300 dollar range.

Submitted by Wang toe a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2003

Strengths:    Professional prints, fast print speed.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
    Excellent photo priter at an amazingly low price. I cannot tell the differece between the 4 x 6 prints from this printer and a store developed 35mm print. Fast too!!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Similar Products Used:   Caon S630, various HP and pson printers

Submitted by Dee a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2003

Strengths:    The i470D can be used with or without a computer. It accomodates several kinds of memery cards. All cables and software were included in the box.

Weaknesses:    The unit is taller than other printers I've used. While it looks very nice , it also takes up more desk space when loaded with paper.

Bottom Line:
    I have been looking for a photo printer that would not break the bank when it came time to replace the ink cartridges. I found it!!! When the salesman showed me the prices on the replacement cartridges (under seven dollars for black and under ten for color) I was sold. The i470D does a fantastic job. The photos I've printed are crisp and clear and the colors are true to life. I would recommend this printer to everyone.
    A great printer at a great price!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Similar Products Used:   I have two other printers. A Lexmark and an HPP. The cost of ink for these are about 5 time more than that of the i470D.

Submitted by llfranks a Casual from New Bern NC USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    Various picture size settings. Easy to use software.

Weaknesses:    Installation can be a lil' tricky if your using this photo printer with an additional "general" printer.

Bottom Line:
    The i470D Photo Printer is an excellent printer at an affordable price. The quality exceeds what I had expected for such a low priced photo printer. The software is easy to use, the ink cartridges are reasonably price & the quality is A+. Photos from my 2mp camera look just like I had them printed by a photo center. Actually, my pictures that I print on the i470D look BETTER than uploading them & having them printed by a photo center. The cost is LESS then uploading & having them printed. I bought the Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy & my pictures look GREAT! Another plus is you have the option of 4X6, 5X7 or 8X10 pictures unlike other photo printers that offer the same quality.

Purchased At:   Staples