Home | Reviews | Printers | Photo Printers | Canon

PlatformPC, Mac
    Form FactorDesktop
    Connectivity TechnologyCable
    Direct Printing CapabilityPrint Photos Without a PC
    Media TypeEnvelopes • High Resolution Paper • Matte Photo Paper • Photo Paper • Plain Paper • Transparencies
    Max Media SizeSuper B (330 x 483 mm)
    Total Media Capacity100 Sheets
    Installed RAM0.08 MB
    Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    Warranty1 Year
    Weight21 lb.
    Special FeaturesBorderless Printing
    Release Date15 May, 2004
    MPNi9900

A high-end large format machine whose remarkable output can rival that of a professional processing lab.
  • Print resolution: 4800 x 2400 dpi
  • 8 color ChromaPLUS ink system with new red and green ink tanks
  • Max print size: up to 13" x 19"
  • Canon Think Tank System features individual ink tanks with intelligent ink management
  • Bubble Jet Direct and PictBridge direct printing with select digital cameras
  • USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface

Submitted by boo_jewel a Casual

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
    At last I already bought a brand new Canon i9900 for $439.99, after dealing with many computer stores for a great buy I ended up with geeks.com… (Thanks guys for the assistance you gave)…. Canon i9900 on the other hand provided excellent results, high quality photos on any kind of paper. I have no negative comments on this product. I wanted to give this 5-star recommendation for a great printer.

Purchased At:   geeks.com

Submitted by CLJohnson a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2005

Strengths:    - fast
    - very quiet
    - very high quality prints
    - 13x19"
    - does all this at a pretty remarkable price
    - 8 ink colors means replacing only those that are depleted.

Weaknesses:    - ink disappears quickly if you do any amount of 13x19 prints, but I don't know that that is a weakness of this printer, but just the cost of printing such a large size.

Bottom Line:
    Since I've made the move to digital, I decided that it was time to upgrade my printer to something that could handle larger format and provide excellent quality. As when I buy any piece of equipment, I research and research. I'm glad I chose the Canon i9900 because it lives up to all the positive attributes I read about it, and I've yet to experience any of the problems some have noted (e.g.: accepts limited types of papers).

The printer is fast and extremely quiet. It produces deep images that rival any I've had done at a lab.

One of the main reasons I bought this printer is its ability to print up to 13x19" - and it does so beautifully.

I've used Canon, Kodak, Epson and Staples papers in this printer without a trace of a problem.

I can't comment on print life since I've had the printer for about 5 months.

I expect that, although it seems like it might drink a lot of ink, since you only replace the depleted tank, it will probably end up being cost effect in the long run.

Purchased At:   BigBuy.com

Submitted by gahspidy a Casual

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2005

Strengths:    Speed,, speed did i say Speed? Sharp, extremely vibrant color prints. Cost.

Weaknesses:    Limited in paper choices and fade resistance makes it unsuitable for pros.

Bottom Line:
    Setting up this printer was very easy as well as installing and using the software. Prints from this machine are beautiful.Sharp, vivid, and extremely fast, and quiet ( and there is a quiet mode as well which I never had to use). The thing that I did not like about this printer is that it cannot handle a wide variety of papers. You are pretty much limited to Canons papers, and they only offer differenrt variations of gloss and a matte paper which is about as thin as standard letter paper. And with the dye based inks, if you use third party papers you may only get a few years of fade resistance. For the casual photgrapher or someone looking to blow up family photos, this printer is great on Canons Photo paper pro ( 38 years fade resistance expectancy from Wilhelm imaging testing) but this is not for anyone with the intention of selling photos. I recently sold mine to buy the Epson 2200 as it handles heavy fine art papers and can achieve long lasting prints with their pigment inks.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   epson 2200

Submitted by TimWilliamson a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    Fast (blazing)
    Beautiful prints
    8 separate colors...replace only what needs replacing
    Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Can't (to my knowledge) do borderless 11x14, 8x10, or custom sizes (even though these papers exist). Can only do pre-set sizes for borderless.

Bottom Line:
    I had accidently covered the inside of my previous photo printer (a used Epson 1200 off ebay) with black ink, which gave me the excuse I had been looking for to upgrade my printer anyway. I only was interested in large format printers that could go at least to 13x19. After looking at reviews, etc, I settled on the i9900. All I can say: Absolutely incredible. Knock you on your butt incredible. Easy to set up and with the included printing software, easy to use. I'm not a professional, but the borderless 13x19 prints from my digital rebel are absolutely stunning. Fast and quiet (even when not in quiet mode.) Takes multiple sizes of papers for borderless printing. Black and white stunning as well, but haven't printed many b/w pics yet. Has totally rejuvenated my interest in photography. Immediate next purchase is a color calibration system to make sure I'm getting everything I can out of this thing.

Purchased At:   BH Photo (online)

Similar Products Used:   Epson 1200

Submitted by marshallstephenson a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2004

Strengths:    Clarity! Speed! Vibrant colors! It's hard to find a better printer for less than 3 times the cost of the i9900.

Weaknesses:    Can't find a single fault in the i9900. Unbelievable printer at a stunning price.

Bottom Line:
    The i9900 is by far the best money this boy ever spent for a printer. Straight out of the box, this easy to use, always ready printer gives me the cleanest, most vibrant images that I have ever produced. I have nice printers from other companies that deliver nice prints...in 15 minutes, after wasting a piece of paper because the heads were dirty, driver difficulties or because it had not been used recently. I can turn on my i9900 after two weeks of rest and after about 45 seconds, she's rockin out spectacular prints up to 13x19... borderless beauties! The addition of two new colors make this an eight color printer with extremely high resolution. Please don't misunderstand me to think I'm telling you this is just another fantastic printer. This is as good as it gets. My 2200 is in the closet.

Purchased At:   Comp USA