Home | Reviews | Printers | Photo Printers | Epson

MPNT5309LL/A
    Product ID20739975
    Exterior ColorGray • Silver
    Technology (Detailed)Inkjet
    Media TypeGlossy Photo Paper • Matte Photo Paper • Photo Paper • Semi-Gloss Photo Paper
    Operating SystemApple MacOS 9 • Apple MacOS X • Apple MacOS 8
    PlatformMac
    Output TypeColor Printer
    Max Media SizeLedger (ANSI B, 279 x 431 mm, 11" x 17") • Super B (330 x 483 mm)
    Language SimulationEPSON ESC/P
    Monthly Duty Cycle20,000 - 49,999 (Small Workgroup)
    Connectivity TechnologyCable
    Total Media Capacity100 Sheets
    Max Resolution (BW)2880 x 1440 dpi
    Printer TypePersonal
    Max Resolution (Color)2880 x 1440 dpi
    Media Path TypeStraight

With 7-color UltraChrome inks and 2880 x 1440 dpi resolution, the large-format EPSON Stylus Photo 2200 provides remarkable archival photo printing, plus versatile media handling. ??The first desktop photo printer to include seven pigment inks, the EPSON Stylus Photo 2200 offers phenomenal quality and detail. EPSON UltraChrome inks use a special technology that delivers the highest color gamut of any ink jet pigment ink. And, this innovative system provides convenient individual ink cartridges for more efficient ink use. Durable and fade-resistant, these brilliant inks deliver archival results for long-lasting portraits, snapshots and more. ??The EPSON Stylus Photo 2200 lets you optimize image quality based on the type of ink and paper you use. Photo Black ink can be used with glossy paper for the richest, deepest blacks possible. The optional Matte Black ink creates optimum results when printing on matte paper. Each of these choices, when used with its corresponding paper type, pro...

Submitted by Steven Manseau a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2011

Strengths:    Great images with OSX 10.4.11

Weaknesses:    Pitiful tech support for Apple Computers.
Ink Cartridges are expensive & don't last long (a few dozen large photos)
Banner mode will not work for Apple Products
Nothing works for newer (10.6) Apple products

Bottom Line:
Great print quality when I finally got the driver working. I had to pay an additional $250 for the driver that supported PDF files. When I bought a New MAC Pro, I discovered Epson will not write a driver for OSX 10.6, when I contacted Epson by phone, I was told to buy a new printer. I will, an HP or Cannon.

Purchased At:   Staples

Similar Products Used:   HP Cannon.

Submitted by seeingclearly a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2007

Strengths:    Very good resolution
Wonderful colour range and much more realistic (that is, saturation is closer to reality and screen colour)
Pretty good printer interface
Quiet
Pigment inks and separate cartridges
Long life prints on most papers. Hugely long life on special papers.

Weaknesses:    Matte black has to be switched with Photo black for matte papers. This is a pain, so it doesn't get done much.
The cartridges are quite small, so I keep seeing all those empties in the bin, and my wallet getting thinner.
Epson's info on setting the profiles and different settings to get high quality images is pretty awful. It takes a lot of hunting on the web to find out how to get the best profiles and settings for good quality B&W on pearl or matte paper.
I do see bronzing or odd reflections with some colours, and I did not get this with the R800 (because it has a gloss optimizer cartridge that prevents the problem).

Bottom Line:
It took me about 6 months to finally work out how to get good photos off my first printer, the Epson R800, and then I was convinced- it was great. It was also an A4 printer, and I got greedy! I read all the reviews on A3 printers, and decided on what is called the R2400 in Australia (R2200 in US?), because of the pigment inks and reviews about its B&W ability. I bought it for a good price secondhand (Aus$1000), because the previous owner didn't understand how to work it.

My experience: Because I had learnt from the R800, I had it printing really well within about 15 minutes. It got even better when I found some better printer profiles for the papers I was using. It can give beautiful soft colours or eye-popping garish colours - it's up to you.

It often prints more detail in the shadow and highlights than I am aware of on the screen, and the sharpness is great. The printer is so quiet when printing, that I sometimes do not know that it is working! This is a big improvement on the R800.

It is fast enough for me not to worry about it, and the quality is worth waiting for anyway. I have been printing quite a lot of A3 Ilford Smooth Pearl paper, and I am very pleased with the results, and the reasonable cost. The combination of ink and this paper means that it is safe to handle straight out of the printer.

The feel of the front draw is a bit light weight, but I have not had a problem. The ink cartridge lights for when one is empty, is easy to understand and change. The software keeps you warned about when ink is running low in any cartridge - good for when you have to order well ahead (I live well out of the city).

Purchased At:   secondhand