Acratech Ultimate Ballhead Tripod Heads and Accessories

Operating SystemApple MacOS 9
    Product ID20717590
    MPN1115

• Holds over 25 lbs (11.4kg) at any angle
  • Full movements allow any camera position
  • Weighs less than 1 lb (.45kg) with quick release clamp
  • Compatible with Kirk, Arca, R.R.S., and many other QR plates
  • Engraved degree markings

Submitted by Vic Wright a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2016

Strengths:    I have used Acratech Ultimate Ball heads for macro work and 600mm f4 lenses with full size Nikon bodies for wildlife shots. They never disappoint, never fail. They are so light, so strong and so durable even after many years. Easy to work with, superbly strong. I have and will continue to recommend these heads to anyone looking for a great ball head.

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
    After spending what must be at least 15 years with a couple of Ultimate Ball Heads and loving them, I have just purchased the comparable Acratech Video Head. WOW! I had super high expectations for this product and it has exceeded them by a margin. Thank You Acratech!

Submitted by JZhong a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2007

Strengths:    Campact, light weight, and sturdy.

Weaknesses:    The quick release plates are too expensive.

Bottom Line:
    The best ball head I have ever used. Compact, light weight, and sturdy. I put my Canon EOS 20D + 100-400/4-4.6 L on it, slightly tight up the knob, and it it firm like a rock.

Purchased At:   Acratech

Similar Products Used:   Bogen

Submitted by arnabpdas a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Strengths:    Build quality
    Exposed design
    Light weight
    Terrific load capacity

Weaknesses:    Almost none -- shooting in portrait orientation a bit tricky and may involve releasing the panning base, but you get used to it.

Bottom Line:
    Superb piece of innovative engineering. Very well made, I love the exposed design impervious to dust/dirt/rain etc.

Locks down securely, I used FM3A and the 1.2 kg monster -- Nikon 200mm/f4 AFD ED IF Micro - alongwith a SB800+Wimberley F2 macro bracket on this and works like a charm. No slippage.

Purchased At:   BHPhotoVideo

Similar Products Used:   Another Acratech :) .. I bought two
    Arca Swss B1
    Kaiser Pro

Submitted by eric-penon a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2005

Strengths:    Size, weight, strength, design.

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
    I read many reviews first on this ballhead and that is what made me decide to give it a try. Well I have to say I'm glad I did, this is one great ballhead for it's size and weight. When you lock it down, it is there to stay, period! I do have to say that after testing it out it doesn't perform to same standard as the Arca Swiss B1, but it also 30% cheaper in price and weight. When I use it with longer lenses like a 70-200 f/4L the lens will dip just a hair after you tighten it. That doesn't really bother me because every other ballhead I have ever used does same thing, except the Arca Swiss B1. I owned a Kirk BH-3 and the Acratech performs better than it did. When I purchased this it replaced my Kirk BH-3.I thought that the design was little strange and was afraid I might not like it, but that was all forgotten after using it for couple hours on shoot I did in sand dunes. There is another awesome feature this ballhead has over any of the others and that is by the simple design you don't have to worry about sand, dirt, water, etc, getting into ballhead. After using it just wipe everything off, that is it. Overall if your looking for a very strong light weight ballhead, then don't look any further. Also if you decide to purchase one, get the model with all rubber knobs. Mine did't have all rubber knobs and I ended up sending it in and had them change out the old metal ones.

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Kirk BH-3

Submitted by EOSThree a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, incredible grip.

Weaknesses:    The design requires you to pan some it acheive some positions. I find this difficult when tracking birds.

Bottom Line:
    Lightweight, iron grip, unique design, no flop. This head will hold anything I have without flinching. I tighten it and it stays there. I throw my tripod over my shoulder with my 300mm f/4 attached to my EOS 3 without worry, no flop. It doesn't have a tension knob, so it's all or nothing tight or loose, but this works fine for me. I have never used some of the high priced heads out there, so I can't compare. The Acratech for me is the Ultimate Ballhead.

Purchased At:   Acratech

Similar Products Used:   Giottos, Bogen.