Manfrotto 486 Compact Ball Head Tripod Heads and Accessories

4 star rating
                      4 / 5 (3 Reviews)

Compact, yet strong enough to support heavier camera loads, the 486 is a great choice for 35mm SLR cameras with medium lenses, and light medium format cameras.

Submitted by katphood a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Strengths:    Pretty light, about 1 lb., which is only .3 lbs. more than the 484. Well worth the increase in quality. Simple to use. Durable. Just about ideal for backpacking.

Weaknesses:    Probably not the best for long lenses unless you avoid 1/30 to 1 sec, add weight, or use MLU.

Bottom Line:
I ran a test comparing this head to the smaller 484 and the bigger 490. I used a light camera w/o MLU and a 200mm / f4 lens--all mounted on a Manfrotto 3001. Using a loupe, as expected, I could detect differences in sharpness from 1/30 to 1 sec. At longer or shutter speeds, not so much. But I could easily see big differences between the 486 and the 484 at all shutter speeds, and realy pronounced at at 1/30 to 1 sec. I would expect even better performance a the shutter speeds of death if you used MLU or added weight to the rig.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   484 and 490.

Submitted by luvtotakeaphotograph a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2005

Strengths:    Ease of operation
Locks tight
Price is right
Extra quick release plates available....and they aren't camera-specific so you can use them on any camera you have

Weaknesses:    I really can't think of any

Bottom Line:
After a couple of years and a few backpacking trips with this head (on a 3021 tripod) I can say that it has performed extremely well for me. I use a Nikon N80 with grip, and lenses ranging from 19-35 up to 70-300, and the ball head has the quick release on it.

This head locks very well, with no extra movement after lock. It is very smooth in operation and has an adjustable locking knob (you can set it to lock at whichever angle you want). The quick release plates are easy to use and they lock into the head very snugly. I've never had a camera fall out and I don't ever worry about that happening.

I would recomment this head anytime. I think it's rated to carry more than 10 pounds.....and I think that's underrating it a little bit.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Bogen 3030 Pan-Tilt head

Submitted by Kevin Mac a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, good locking on target, price.

Weaknesses:    No tension adjustment: loose or locked. I am also terrified my scope is going to fall out of that QR one day.

Bottom Line:
I use this head on my Bogen 3021bpro with a Swarovski st80 spotting scope for bird watching. I hate pan heads for their bulkiness, weight and often poor quality (at least in the birding community). I thought I would give this a try as it's compact and light weight. My entire setup weighs in at 10 pounds- a reasonable load to carry around all day. With a spotting scope you want to be able to scan the landscape without fussing with levers or knobs. The 486 is very difficult to set so it is on a proper tension- it is either loose or tight. When an you do set it to lock I have had no problems, no shift or drift.

Purchased At:   Kerrisdale cameras