Home | Reviews | Tripods | Tripods | Hakuba

Hakuba HG-6230C Carbon Fiber Tripods

4/5 (1 Reviews)

• 3-section carbon fiber tubing
  • Aluminum collar and center column
  • Max height: 62.4 in.
  • Collapsed length: 23.8 in.

Submitted by miceliphotography a Expert from Middletown, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent quality at a very reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    None that I have experienced so far.

Bottom Line:
    Although I just purchased this tripod, I thought would be useful to post my initial impressions and perhaps followup with a more detailed review later. For many months, I have been considering buying either the 6230C or the Gitzo G1227. Fiskin Brothers in Perth Amboy NJ (an excellent and reputable dealer btw)had both on display, enabling me to compare them first hand for myself. Bottomline is that the quality and stability of the Hakuba appear to be similiar to that of the Gitzo. My conclusion is was that spending an additional $175 for the Gitzo was not cost justified. The Hakuba also included an extra short column for low level shooting. This would have been an extra cost item had I purchased the Gitzo.
    In the store, Paul Fisken the owner, attached a large Foba Superball ballhead and a very heavy Nikon 600mm lense and body to the tripod and it handled the weight without any problem. I myself am using my 6230 with a Arca Swiss B1 ballhead. It so far seems to be a very good combination. The fact that the Arca Swiss base diameter is 3" while the diameter of the top of the tripod column is 2" presented no problem. The ballhead mated fine with it. One caution however. I strongly recommend against using the 1/4" to 3/8" adapter bushings that come with the Hakuba for two reasons. 1) they appeared to damage the threads on the column stud when you screw them on, and 2) the rather thick ridge on these bushings prevented the B1 ballhead base from properly mating with the mounting surface of the column. The solution is to buy a couple of adapter bushings from your dealer or purchase the genuine Arca Swiss bushings (part# ARB 2538 at B&H or your dealer). Bottomline is that I am very pleased with my purchase decision so far.

Purchased At:   Fiskin's Photography