Home | Reviews | Tripods | Tripods | Manfrotto

Manfrotto 3033 Tripod Legs Tripods

5/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Thomas a Professional

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    Very Stable.
Very Durable.
Quick set up / Positioning of the legs. ( pull two legs towards you and they all open equally )
Excellent leg locks.
Versatile feet.
Center Column is solid and does not creep even with heavy weight.

Weaknesses:    The Legs will not open extremely wide like the field Gitzo tripoods or the Bogen 3001... which will not allow a very low camera height.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding. Super Stable. I've had my 3033 for more than ten years and have used it heavily and regularly doing wedding photography, landscapes, portraits... I have mounted medium format Bronica cameras with a flash bracket and large pro flash and there was never an issue with weight. I also frequently hang heavy battery packs on it as well. Quick and easy set up. I like the leg locks very much. They're durable and quick. Just the right amount of force required to lock the levers. Not too easy, not too hard. The feet are convertable from spikes for outdoors to rubber feet by dialing them down. The center column is geared and will not sllip down with even very heavy weight.

It is a bit heavy, which makes it more stable and durable, but that has never stopped me from taking it on mile or more walks into the field. Possibly a notch more than is necessary for even the heaviest DSLR's and the most critical photographer when it comes to camera shake / movement.

Similar Products Used:   I have used the Bogen 3046, the 458B, the 3001, the 3011, the 3036... Also, the Gitzo G345 and others.

For my purposes ( weddings and portraits ) the 3033 is the best tripod for quick easy, reliable, affordable performance.

Submitted by Craig a Beginner from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Strengths:    VERY stable, even in windy conditions.
Bullet proof construction.
Holds a TON of weight without a complaint.
Geared shaft lock keeps elevation from wandering (very nifty).
Rocker leg locks are easy and convenient and don't pinch your fingers off like the new tab locks on my 3021 Pro can.
Built-in spirit level simplifies setup.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy for really long hikes.
More difficult to adjust than the 3021 Pro style 'pods in irregular terrain.

Bottom Line:
This is really an outstanding tripod when you need stability about all else. I use it with a StudioBall QR head and the combination is unbeatable but a little too heavy for very long treks (StudioBall weighs 3lbs!).

When shooting in windy areas, 3033 walks all over my 3021 Pro for keeping my gear steady so it's made a few trips strapped to my back (whew!) but the results were inarguably worth every bit of extra effort expended schlepping it there.

Indoors and for shorter treks, the Bogen 3033/StudioBall combination is an absolutely unbeatable setup for anyone wanting a smooth, precise and drift free adjustment of all but the heaviest camera and lens combinations.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Ancient Vivitar
Tiltall
Bogen 3021 Pro (the one I carry around)
Bogen 3021S (tiny, nifty but weighs close to the same and the larger version of the 3021)

Submitted by Sandy Rand a Expert from Chestertown, NY

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2001

Strengths:    Rock Solid,Well Built, Quality Materials.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Possibly one of the most stable tripods ever made. This is not something to carry long distances, but is not too heavy to take into the field (just don't park too far away). The center column struts add greatly to the stability when at full extention, however this limits the maximum leg spread and they are not independently adjustable. I have used my 3033 in the field, with the Bogen 3275 mini geared head, supporting very heavy Nikkor tele lens/camera combos. Rock solid in every respect! I would seriously like to see a 3221 Wilderness pod attempt this (there is a considerable amount of flexing in the 3221 when column is exiended). The 3033 I consider the best value in the entire bogen line however, as of 2/1/01 their prices increased 20% due to the Dollar:Euro exchange rate. Still a great bargain. Unless you carry a tripod miles into the woods, the 3033 is the best all-around performer for heavy 35mm and medium format setups! P.S. (there is no catagory for the following item) A great mini-pod to carry along is the Cullmann Mini. Costing around $60US it is the most stable of its genre and is also available as a touring outfit. I'm not a fan of Cullmann in general, but this little bugger blew me away! I use mine on the hood of my S.U.V. shooting quickie landscapes in low light.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo

Similar Products Used:   Over the years, I have owned from Star-D to Gitzo.

Submitted by Frank Nickerson a Intermediate from California

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Strengths:    Solid, stable, built like a tank, cross leg bracing.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but that is what I need for holding my 8x10 field camera still and tip safe.

Bottom Line:
Not a tripod for backpacking, but for a reliable strong steady platform for medium to large cameras indoors or outdoors. I often shoot in the desert with high winds gusting I hang my sheet film holder bag from the bottom of the tripod for extra weight and I have never had the camera tip over yet. I use it with a 3047 Bogen head.

Purchased At:   Adorama

Similar Products Used:   A couple Silk tripods that kept braking the leg locks (design fault).