Panasonic AG-DVC80 Digital Camcorders

AG-DVC80

Mini DV Camcorder,1/3" IT 3-CCD, 3.5" Color LCD, Color Viewfinder, Firewire (IEEE-1394) I/O, 10:1 Leica Dicomar Lens, XLR Inputs

User Reviews (5)

James Jones   Intermediate [Feb 19, 2012]
Strength:

Rugged construction, XLR inputs, firwire, three 1/3" CCDs, reliable like crazy!

Use extenal mic as some motor zoom noise can be heard in quiet moments.

Panasonic's DVC80 was one of the best Mini-DV camocorder values ever. This semi-professional black beauty shares the same lens, CCD system and most features of the classic DVX100B which is the best in history. The DVC80's lifespan was only a year, as it was taking sales from its higher-priced 100B sibling during they year 2003. This is all anicent history, of course, and only those still committed to Mini DV will find interest in this review.

HD's gradual rise to prominence has made DVC80's available for a fraction of their original $3295 street price. I purchased my first, with only 48 hours on the heads, in the summer of 2010. A second was acquired later in the year, with 119 hours and a blown firewire port for $897. They are all I need for my rail-themed documentaries. Interior interviews look great, exterior scenes just as fantastic.

These are the most rugged camcorders built, with tough transport and laoding systems. I fail to understand why anyone wuold consider the Canon GL2 or Sony PD150 when they can have one of these babies with XLR and phantom. The audio is fantastic. These aer the last SD cams I planto own, and I suspect our grandchildren will inherit them in 30 or more years! :)

Similar Products Used: Panasonic PV-GS400 and GS500
OVERALL
Wayne Pecinich   Professional [Mar 09, 2008]
Strength:

Excellent Audio w/XLR inputs. Easy to use. Excellent Color. Smooth operation. Light weight. Pull out display larger than most. 3" display. One of the few cameras that will export and import via firewire and composite simultanesouly.

Onboard Mic noise. Motor and hand noise.
Needs an eye piece on the side like a professional camera.

I've used the Panasonic AG-DVC80 for approximately 2 1/2 years. Purchased it used on Ebay and am totally satisfied. I'm partial to Panasonic products. All 3 of my cameras are Panasonic 3ccd SD cameras. The DVC80 is basically the little brother to the DVX100. I have never had a problem with the operation of the camera. Last year I shot 22 weddings and 18 other events with the DVC80 and they were flawless. The color is great and audio is exceptional. With the dual XLR inputs wireless and onboard mics work great. I rarely use the onboard mic but only in extreme situations. I either use 2 wireless or 1 wireless and external boom pole setup. I have shot independent film shorts with the DVC80. Other than the onboard mic noise I really can't complain.
Excellent choice at a very reasonable price. I'm looking to purchase a couple more DVC 80's for weddings and events.

Any further information or testimony please contact me. I would be happy to assist or offer views.

Respectively Submitted
Wayne Pecinich
CSM Video Productions,LLC
North Carolina

So far have not needed customer service.

Similar Products Used: Currently use Panasonic AG-DV15 and PV-GS320 both 3ccd. Excellent!
OVERALL