Nikon Coolpix P7100 8 to 10 Megapixel

Coolpix P7100

A premium compact digital camera built for serious photographers and pros, the Nikon P7100 has dual exposure control dials, a 7.1x zoom lens (28-200mm equivalent) with optical VR, 720p HD video with stereo sound, RAW shooting, an optical viewfinder and a flash hot shoe. This is the camera you take with you when you don't want to carry your DSLR but you don't want to make any compromises.

User Reviews (1)

srblough   Intermediate [Aug 12, 2012]
Strength:

DSLR-level creative / manual control including RAW.
Excellent images including low light.
Bright, large, variable angle TFT screen.
Thoughtful control design.

Viewfinder not particularly useful and perhaps not worth added size / weight.
For my purposes would be nice for menu structure to duplicate that on my D90. For that and other reasons I had occasional frustration getting the settings I wanted.
If you care about movie quality HD is only 720p.
If you have a sensor size fetish it is only 10.1MP.

Nikon describes the P7100 as a "compact companion to your DSLR that's perfect for roadtrips and vacations" and that is what they delivered. Full creative control - one camera-top dial give instant access to ISO, white-balance, picture quality (including RAW), picture control menus plus a customizable "my menu"; another set exposure compensation + / 1 three stops. Shutter speed and aperture set using front and back dials just like my D90. Lens optical zoom is 28 - 200 equivalent, aperture f/2.8 - 5.6. Has a hot-shoe so you can use a real flash. Has a variety of auto-focus modes including user-selectable AF point. Has an HDR feature that I have not tried. I could go on but you get the idea.

I used the P7100 as my walk-around camera during a 2-week road-trip around central Europe. It fits easily in a jacket pocket (where you won't notice the size weight) or a large pants pocket (where you will). I thought I would be glad for the viewfinder (aging eyes need reading glasses to use the screen) but ended up not being very useful except in bright sun and on auto settings - unlike a DSLR the viewfinder provides no shooting information. Might be worth the size/weight savings to eliminate it. The screen is bright and saturated, love the tilt feature; the camera has a very solid build and nice hand feel.

Photo quality was outstanding, nothing jumped out to distinguish photos I took with the P7100 from those I took with the D90. I took it into several cathedrals and was especially please with its low-light performance. ISO settings go up to 3200 plus "Hi-1" which goes into metadata as 6400, got some very nice shots on that with noise that was noticeable but not bothersome.

Worth noting that mid-trip the camera was with me for a slight canoeing mishap and was completely immersed for 15-20 seconds. After 3 days of drying (mostly on the car dashboard while driving) it was up and running again with no effects I have noticed.

I did not looks at competing brands (e.g. Canon G12) because my primary camera is a Nikon and I assumed a Nikon would maximize menu / control and other compatibility.

Overall I love the camera and looking forward to doing a lot of shooting and experimenting with it.

Similar Products Used: Prior P&S was Canon Powershot A620.
OVERALL