Canon EOS-1D Mark III Digital SLRs

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Digital SLRs

Canon's flagship EOS-1D Mark III is the most advanced EOS Digital SLR ever produced. It has a new 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor (APS-H size) with Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System and a 3.0-inch LCD monitor with Canon's Live View technology. The 1D Mark III has a redesigned 100% viewfinder, a new 45-point AF system, and can shoot up to 10 fps continuously with a maximum burst of 110 shots. Dual DIGIC III Image Processors work in tandem to speed up every process while refining image quality; a new, lighter body has improved weather sealing and shutter durability. Every facet of the EOS experience has been enhanced with the 1D Mark III. It's the new standard.

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 03, 2021]
ChrstnaCol

Strength:

At the time of this review, this camera is a little old compared to current technology. So with all the other reviews out there, I'm not going to beat up a dead horse with everything you've heard or haven't heard about the camera. This camera is built with speed in mind and for me, it has far exceeded my expectations. When I was deciding on what to purchase I thought the 10.1 MP would be a hindrance to workflow as I'm more familiar with higher MP files. Once files were in Adobe Camera Raw I almost agreed with that statement. I then tried other Raw conversation software and realized that was incorrect. I was able to crop just as much as the higher MP files. uninviting people from wedding covid click

For those of you who are serious about your photography, you won't be disappointed (except for the cost)Unmanned Systems and Solutions

[Apr 02, 2021]
johnrico022117

Strength:

This is really great camera! I also use this and it performs really great! Thank you for this! retaining wall birmingham al

There is no issue on this model.

[Dec 13, 2020]
Michele616

Strength:

Extremely fast, 10-megapixel continuous shooting. Well-designed body with weather sealing.

Pricey! vinyl siding

2007
[Dec 10, 2020]
Rhey

Strength:

Amazing 20MP full-frame sensor, Exceptional build quality, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Ethernet connectivity and huge battery. cost effective plumbing

Pricey, EF lenses no longer in development and mirrorless cameras are in now!

Price Paid:
$6,500
2007
[Dec 10, 2020]
JohnDave

Strength:

High-resolution, extremely low noise & blazingly fast burst shooting. garage floor coating

Heavy and a bit too large for small hands.

Price Paid:
$6,150
2011
[Nov 28, 2014]
Manny Shulman
Intermediate

Strength:

Color Spectrum, Sharp Focus, Speed, Physical Design, Display, Reliability, Support

Weight

In my opinion the Canon 1D mark III is the quintisential profesional DSLR. It's designed for shooting pictures and it is the best bang for the buck on the used market. With over 11 f stops of dynamic range and 10 fps speed, it captures the moment, every time, all the time. Currently a used mark III in excellent condition will set you back around $1000, nothing compares at this price. When you compare the color and sharpness between the Mark III and a more modern, highter megapixal camera in the same price range, the 1D Mark III wins everytime. Why? The sensor, digi-3 processors (two), and features. I compared the pictures between the 1D Mark III, a Nikon D90, and a Canon 7D and every shot was better on the 1D Mark III. But only 10 megapixal? Don't be fooled by megapixals. You have to tripple the megapixals to see a diference. Unless you are going past 20x30 inch pictures, this is a better camera. Did I say it's fast? AND accurate. Canon had a focus issue with the 1D Mark III series that they corrected. Owners can send them to canon for the correction. The focus issue had to do with low light issues. The later models with higher SNs had none of these issues. For $1000, you can find late model 1D mark IIIs in pristine condition. The only downside is the weight. It's a heavy camera, but it feels good in your hand and is the most solid camera I have ever owned. The difference in price between the 1D Mark III and the Mark IV is over $1000, and I did not buy a camera to shoot video.

Canon 1D mark II, 1D mark IIn, Canon 7D, Nikon D90

[Sep 22, 2008]
snapperZ
Intermediate

Strength:

Crisp images
Superb colour
Egronomics
Rapid, accurate AF
High ISO performance
Build
Speed and burst rate
Battery life
AF microadjustment

Heavy (but significantly lighter than its predecessor).
Liveview is MF only.
auto ISO is available but setup is rather obscure.

A fantastic camera in all respects. Better IQ than my 5D, handles superbly, speed to burn and the AF is faultless. Feature packed and much easier to use than previous 1 series cameras. The 1.3 crop is an ideal compromise IMO unless ultrawide is your main interest. The early AF problems have never been an issue for me, rapid action, low light, ultrafast lenses, all weather conditions AF if accurate, rapid and precise. A truly great camera.

Not required

Eos 30D, Eos 5D

[Jul 30, 2008]
Jon_Doh
Intermediate

Strength:

Speed, autofocus, image quality, details at high ISO's. Easy to use and access menus and controls. Build and water sealing are superb and the dust shaker really works.

None really, except I do miss a built in flash. I know none of the 1d cameras have ever had one, but I do a lot of close up photography and it really comes in handy.

Solid camera that feels solid in every way. This camera will make you a better photographer. The autofocus is fast and accurate. The pictures right out of the camera in RAW are sharp with vibrant colors. By contrast the photos right out of the D3 are soft and the colors artificial and plastic looking. I find I am doing much less post processing with this camera. The IQ and detail even at high ISO's are amazing. Canon reworked the menu system for this camera and it is a lot easier to use than the previous Mark II's. I love the "My Menu" where you can put functions you use often, like mirror lock up to access easily. Plus you can program the buttons on the back to do other things, for instance, using the autofocus button to spot meter.

Nikon users brag about being able to turn the camera on while holding it with one hand and bringing it to the eye, but they never like to talk about having to take their eye away from the viewfinder to make any changes. With the Mark III while looking through the viewfinder, I can change exposure, aperture, speed or ISO. The LCD on the rear, at least on mine, looks to be much sharper than the one on the 40D. I also love the big bright viewfinder after looking through the dark, dingy 40D viewfinder.

Haven't had to use it yet.

Panasonic FZ20, Canon 30D, Nikon D300.

[Dec 26, 2007]
abell39
Professional

Strength:

Low noise in high ASA settings. What more can I say. Very impressive.

I shot a 30 second exposure at 6400 ASA to test it and the noise was almost nill. That makes me really look forward to shooting a body building show.

The lighting is usually good for 1250 ASA 200th of a sec at f/3.2 so I am looking forward to shooting 3200 ASA. This camera has less noise at 3200 ASA than the MkII did at 1250.

I have had some focus issues with a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 lens I bought with it. Shooting a series of shots the focus seems to wander. The result is the first shot will be sharp but later images will go out of focus. I think it is the lens.

My standard 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Canon lens is flawless. It has been my preferred lens for a long time now.

I had to wait to buy this because apparently Canon pulled them all back to fix some issue and none of the local stores had them for a couple weeks.

I picked this up in the morning and shot a wedding as an assistant that afternoon. If I had been te main photographer I'd have had to use my MkII.

Experience with the MkII is helpful as the layout is very familiar feeling and easy to adapt to.

I normally shoot body building shows so am looking forward to the next event.

I have shot two weddings, a couple of burlesque shows and some on stage musicians.

All in all the camera is exactly what I expected. Solid, competently executed and easy to use.

My past experiences with Canon leads me to expect good service. I have the advantage of having a certified repair center half a mile away. It is always nicer to look the person in the eye.

Canon EOS 1D MkII
Canon 30D
Nikon D2H
Nikon D1X
Canon D30

[Aug 19, 2007]
Rich Cox
Expert

Strength:

Big screen.
Simple buttons.
ISO in viewfinder.
Well balanced.

I'd prefer white balance to be a button rather than menu choice.
Not really a 'weakness' but this is a heavy camera and not for those with weak arms.

After placing my order, I started seeing these dreadful reviews and was questioning my purchase. Nevertheless, I let the order stand and received my Mark III after a 6-8 weeks wait. Well, I'm glad I decided not to cancel it! This is a superb camera! I have not experienced any problems. The low level of noise at high ISO is amazing. At low ISO, there is virtually no perceptible noise.

I've shot a 3 day music festival, several concerts and a studio shoot and am just amazed.

Great--called when when it was shipping. Offered to buy back my older equipment.

10D, 30D