Nikon D70 Digital SLRs

Nikon D70 Digital SLRs

6 megapixel digital SLR available as an outfit with 18-70mm AF-S DX f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED Zoom-Nikkor Lens.

• 3 frames per second capture rate
  • 1/500th sec flash sync
  • 3D Color Matrix meter

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 18, 2009]
    Anthony Reiss
    Professional

Strength:

1. 1/500 Flash synchronization. Man! That is FAST! Try to find this feature even on higher end models like the D2, D3 or the Canon 5D or 5D Mark 2 ! Sorry, you won't find them there. This is one of the best kept secrets of the D70! Nikon don't want you to know this! Using FLASH on bright highnoon sunlight at full bore aperture of F1.4 is awesome!
    2. 6 Megapixels is all you need for up to A4 sized prints. Even the biggest Computer monitor is only 72 dpi!
    3. So cheap, you could have two sets plus three spares...
    4. Same batteries as the big guys! D200, D300, D700 etc.
    5. AutoFocus screw lets you use OLD AF lenses and even Film lenses!

1. You have to download and install from the internet to your computer to the camera the latest upgrade Version 2.0 software to make the D70 souped up. The D70s has this preinstalled.

If you own a D70 or a D70s, consider yourself to be lucky and blessed. As far as Nikon cameras are concerned, this camera model is the reference point of all Nikon digital cameras made since the start of the digital era. It is THE camera where ALL Nikon digital cameras are compared in terms of less or more goodies. If you will have only one digital camera, this is the one to have. (I will write about the Canon equivalent camera at a later date). The Nikon D70 / D70s stands in the middle of All Nikon Models. They call this CONSUMER SEGMENTATION. Consumers have different levels of affordability to buy a camera, so Nikon removed some features to make it cheap, so D40, D60 etc. came along. They also souped up more goodies, like being able to recognise really OLD jurrasic lenses, so the D200, D300 etc. came along... Early this decade, Nikon made the mistake of putting all nice goodies on only one camera, the D70. They realized there was only the D1, D2 as the next step, so they cannibalized the features to spread the new models. Nikon users who are wise will still buy cheap used D70s because they know this camera has the goods and will deliver the goods.

[Aug 16, 2009]
    Robert Bender
    Intermediate

Strength:

The Nikon quality
    Lot of capabilities
    Manual or use the 6 preset shots
    Very good battery life

Heavy
    Small LCD

I bought my D70 from my nephew used for $800 and have been learning it for about 3 years. I put a Tamron 28-300 AF VC lens on it. That is when the learning began for me. I have gotten some fantastic shots (for me anyway) and many bad ones. I now have about 9500 shots in my PC and continue to learn.

I would say the camera is confusing to start with and takes some time and patience to learn. You need to have some understanding of how a SLR works. You get good quality shots and it gets you into the SLR world for a small amount of money.

I have had no problems with the camera.

Nikon F 100
    Nikon N-50

[May 01, 2008]
    nikonian
    Intermediate

Strength:

great control
    very good ergonomics
    sharp and very good images
    design and the brand
    and many many more

small lcd display (back) (oly the size is the reason for puting it here)

The nikon D70 is a great no excellent dslr camera that has a very good ergonomics lots and lots of features (now own it for more than a year and hardly know 1/3 of what is possible wtih this camera) . there are s lot of manual features (may be too many) though it is not as complicated as you might expect it to be.

it is a heavy weight camera and that weight and the size of it to keep it steady. it is a camera you have to get used to ( like a wetsuit you have to fit) but once you are using it more and more you will notice that in fact nikon helps you to get the best out of it.

most of the time i shoot in P mode and i use the widow and the child mode(RAW+JPEG BASIC) to always have a backup (RAW) to edit something that cannot be edited in the jpeg basic. The nef file is large and by using a image program for nikon allmost everything can be changed afterwards.

example :

you are taking pictures in the sun, see a church , forget to change the white balance , enter the curch and shoot and also forget the ev compasation .
    well in nef those two things can be changed to the correct settings, the meanis is that you decide what needs to be changed and not the camera

the resolution might seem low but it still is 6 mega pixel on a large dx sensor and it is real pixels (not interpollated or so) the speed is fantastic , when compared to digital compacts but also the compatition dslr's .

the display is small but it is possible to zoom in on detail of the taken picture to see if ti is razor sharp, after a few days intensive playing you will have understood the basic of what this camera can , don't forget to buy a decent lens , because the lens and it's qualty is a great deal of the picture.

never have to use it

canon eos 300D

[Apr 01, 2008]
    freedom1500
    Intermediate

Strength:

Solid build, reliable, meticulous finish, (relatively) lightweight, easy menus, logical controls, good user manual. Battery life between charges is incredibly long -- I can go weeks without recharging (of course, it depends on how many shots I take).

Compared to some newer DSLRs, I find the noise a little too noticeable. especially when shooting in dark settings (indoors or night shots) or at high ISO. User manual could have a better index... at times, I've found it difficult to find a page containing just the info/answer I needed. I find the built-in flash rather useless: it doesn't have much power and always gives a bluish/grey cast. I use it only for fill-in flash outdoors and have since purchased the SB-800 external flash.

This was my first DSLR, but not my first Nikon. I've always had good luck with all my Nikon products. That's why I chose to buy a Nikon DSLR. I've had my D70 for a few years now and couldn't be happier with it. I purchased the kit lens (AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 G ED) which has given me excellent results. I shoot just about everything: portraits, landscapes, travel, architecture. When new, this was a perfect entry-level DSLR, but a little pricey. You can now pick up a used D70 for only a few hundred dollars and at that price, it makes an excellent digital camera for the first-time DSLR user. Or, it could be used as a very reliable back-up camera for advanced users.

Never had to contact Customer Service.

None.

[Mar 11, 2008]
    shamlexarts
    Expert

Be careful about this camera. I have had it for two years, and I took very good care of it seeing as it cost quite a bit, a bit too much considering the camera. After it hit the second anniversary of purchase, things started to go down hill . If you buy this camera, please get an extended warranty. Do it for me! First, the flash stopped working at random. That I could live with. Then, to my woe, I turned it on one day, took a picture, and everything was pink and green. So i took it into my neighbrhood camera repair shop and it is going to cost a lovely $400 to fix. NOT WORTH IT! Please, please, please. Either a. switch to film and maybe help the price of color film stop rising or b. get an extended warranty.(!) These things are pieces of you know whats, they are computers. Ever have a hard drive crash? That's basically what happened. They can't be trusted to the elements or time and wear. Go buy yourself a nice metal, all manual tank of a film camera. Don't waste your money. Your results will be better with film anyway, and more satisfactory. The medium is being destroyed by these stupid consumerist plastic computer chips. AND you can't even use the digital nikon lenses on their film bodies if the d**n thing breaks. i probably should have checked before i bought it.

Great deal? no not really.

[Aug 29, 2006]
    c valle
    Expert

Strength:

Image quality and sharpness
    Flexibility
    Speed

A major flaw is that older manual lenses cannot be used in any metering mode

Great camera

Only experienced the battery exchange fiasco which was accomplished with no problems or cost. I have never had any of my nikon gear repaired in my 30 years of experience using nikon stuff. I do most of my own minor CLA.

FM, EM, FE, FE2, F4, F100 with many nikkors and sigmas

[May 02, 2006]
    xing
    Expert

Strength:

excellent image quality at ISO 200
    excellent battery life.
    good speed.
    Control and Button layout are good, and easy an intuitive to use.

Quality issue.
    no cable release.
    LCD cover easy to fall off.
    Extra $ for Nikon Capture software
    Noisy at high ISO
    Plastic feel

I bought my D70 outfit package on April. 2004. Before then I didn't have a digital camera, I shot film, usually used Nikon F100.
    I waited for a DSLR like this from Nikon for a long time since I owned some Nikon gears.
    I always shoot in RAW format. The image quality is really good at ISO 200, even in 12x18 prints. This is the most important factor, so I was pretty happy with the camera until it got problems. The battery life is excellent. With one backup battery I seldom have to worry about the battery. (It can be different if you use build-in flash a lot.). The speed is good enough for me. I feel pretty comfortable to hold the camera, the control and button layout in the camera works good for me. Auto focus is quite accurate, exposure is good when it works.
    I don't understand why D70 does not support cable shutter release. I have ML-L3 remote control, but it does not work well. The supplied picture Project software is very slow and buggy, not very useful. You need to pay extra ~$100 for Nikon Capture for editing RAW files. LCD cover is easy to fall off. My original one got lost in Yosemite two months after I got the camera. The image is usually very noisy at ISO >= 800.
    The real problem with me is the quality. My D70 started behaving irrationally after 18 months when I was in Death Valley. I had approximate 9000 shots in it then. Exposure never locks on any mode, numbers in LCD and viewfinder display jump around wildly.
    Twice got memory card access green light blinking and nothing functioning. Viewfinder display alternates between dim and bright. It give wrong flash indication even under bright sunlight. A web search showed that there are quite a few reports about this problem. I sent my D70 to Nikon customer service for repair with a detail description about problems. NIkon Eventually fixed the problem for free though they sent me $200 + SH bill initially.

The web service is easy to use. But eventually you have to talk some issue on the phone with service representtives.
    Originally they sent me $200 + SH bill for repairing. I was really unhappy with that. I called Nikon service twice, they kept me waiting for long time, playing ads about Nikon products. The person on the phone was not really helpful, he just told me that free service does not cover my case, but cannot tell me what was wrong exactly, saying $200 is just the average cost for repairing D70. So I just paid the bill using their online service by Credit. After 3 weeks, I got my D70 back. To my surprise, Nikon waved repairing cost, even SH fee, it states as complimentary Service in the Bill. I'm happy with that, this earns back some my royalty. But I think that Nikon should be more forthcoming about the defect in the major component that are reported by users.

Nikkor 50mm f1.8D AF
    and other nikon stuff

[Mar 21, 2006]
    Tonys
    Expert

Strength:

It is a Nikon. Most all reviews rave about this camera. My review is based on my D70. i have seen excellent images produced with this camera. Since mine was repaired it takes great photgraphs and I have had no issues with it since.

Plastic. Image sensor bonked out and locked up camera. Menu navigation for items like ISO and white balance. I know of another D70s that the depth of filed preview locked into place casuing the camera to lock up, probably isolated bit it had to ve sent back to Nikon. They charge her as well for the shipping.

First let me say this is a D70 not one of the D70s models, though there is little difference. I bought this when they first came out. I am a Nikon dude all the way, except for my S3, which is more or less a Nikon with seom twists. I do not like this camera. It feels plasticky, it is. From the day I took it out of the box I had issues with image quality, they required alot of out of the camera processing, time consuming. My wife used this camera more than I did. When she first used she hated it compared to my Fuji images. It required some tweaking of the menu from their default settings to get acceptable reults. The camera always seemed to have issues with image quality. One day the entire camera froze, woud not work, would not turn off. This would not have been to bad if at the time the event we were at was rather important to us. I broke out my S3 and took the pictures, it was a sporting event. She watched the event and i worked, that is what using a S3 outside at night in a stadium is, work. The camera was returned to Nikon who replaced the sensor in about a week. It now has the same functions as the D70s. Nikon charged me 35 dollars to ship a camera to them to fix a problem that they had a recall on. So tack 35 dollars onto the purchase price. Now i understand anyone who has had an experience like this with any product is probably not going to give it great reviews. I also understand that when I bough this camera Nikon did not have a lot of other options in this price range except the D100 (please) it still was priced more than the D70. The camera seems like an entry level camera. It has all kind of little niffty modeslike auto, night, landscape,ect. So does the D50 and its cheaper. I do not like the way the camera feels nd if you put a really big lens on it the camera disappears. I assume a battery extender would solve this problem. i had the same issue witht the D200 and the extender fixed that issue. That is a personel preference. I know most people who review this camera love it. I have not used it since getting it back from Nikon. The photgraphs I have seen that my wife takes have been great. So maybe this is a sounding board. Most people have a budget. We buy quality items at the limit of that budget, we expect them to perform. This camera did not. I could understand if I had broken it then that is on me. I do not to this day understand why I was charged by Nikon to ship a camera that broke on them. If you are new to photography and are looking for an entry level camera get a D50 and use the extra money you save to buy a quality Nikon Lens. If you really get into photography you will outgrow the D50 as well as the D70. If you are new you will only use the auto features while you are gaining experience. Before long you will never use them again. I know alot of people who have this camera and love it. I have seen excellent images that came from D70 cameras. Read Ken Rockwell's review, he loves it. I know I am in the minority here on this. A review is to relate the experience one has had with a particualr product. I did not have a great experience with this camera. I own numerous Nikon products and love them. I have used this camera and taken great photographs. My experience tells me If I had to buy another one I would get a D50 and use the money saved on another accessory. The paticualr D70 I have did have some exposure problemts in A priority that seems to have been corrected when the camera was returned to me. I found the auto modes to produce ok images, they are average, like most auto modes the camera produces the image based on OVERALL information. The menu navigation is useless. everything is tucked away in Menus and Submenus that you navigate until you reached the desired location. Once again from reading other reviews I got a lemon. the D70 has been out long ehough that all the bugs have been worked out and someone else would most likley not experience the same issues as I did. I read reviews from alot of people that are making the switch to digital from film or are upgrading and limited by a budget, as a working stiff i know the feeling. If you are thinking about this camera and money is an issue get the aa D50 and a good Nikon Lens. The lens will still be with you when you upgrade past the D50 and 70 and you can use this camera as a backup.

They fix it and fast. They charge the consumer to ship the camera even on a recall.

Fuji S3 and Nikon D200 and N80

[Jan 26, 2006]
    deckcadet
    Intermediate

Strength:

Excellent Image Quality at all sensitivities! 6mp IS enough, uprez to 11MP in Adobe camera raw 3.3 is great if needed. Works well with 3rd party RAW converters RAW filesize is small, JPEGs smaller but both provide great results. Excellent metering system (one caveat, see below) AF is accurate in most conditions, speed is fine. high ISO cleans up nicely Nice feel for a consumer DSLR Controls well laid out Easy to use, not hard to get great results out of it. Nikon F mount...what more can you want!

For the price, i'm tempted to say none....I know i'm nitpicking too. If you instist though, things that for me it could use improvement in are: LCD is too small for my tastes...0.2" more on the D70S, but that isn't much, especially with the same pixel amount. Too many important functions in the menus, but what do you expect...consumer camera. VF is small, tunnel-vision-ish. Not nearly as bad as the Olympus Evolt E300, but still not good. I could MF decently with it, but relying on the focus dot for confirmation. DK-21M magnifier changes the diopter a tad too much for me. Command dials hard plastic, I like rubber now, and can't be used in menu nav. Mode Dial with Vari Programs...if this could be locked I wouldn't care. Not enough VF info or top LCD info... just a matter of preference after the D200. Color noise is a bit high for me, though easily reduced in PP with minimal effect on image. No in camera NR selectable for regular high ISO shots. Does, however, give me more sharpness this way. Metering cannot be fine tuned...I'd stick a permanent 1/3-1/2 stop adjustment here if it were like my D200. I just have to use a custom curve since I can't always be dialing in exposure comp.

I've used the D70 for over a year now, and I can say this camera gives you some of the best bang for your buck out there. If you're serious about an entry level DSLR, this is your best bet right now. The D50 is amazing for those who want better out of the box results without so much Post Processing or camera tweaking, but the D70 offers you the best flexibility you can get for $1000 or less. The used market is getting these out cheap now, so it is a very economical choice. the D70 has some of the best image quality in the business. Others use the 6.1mp sensor, but Nikon's version with their programming gives the best results. Frankly, the D70 is overall one of the best DSLRs ever. The Anti-Aliasing filter on this body isn't as strong as on others, so although you may get the occasional Moire, the results are extremely sharp. I routinely shoot in camera sharpening at Minus 1 (-1) Medium Low. Colors with this body are great, except for when you've got a lot of IR reflective stuff in your shot...a 'hot mirror' or similar filter can help with any problems here. Normally not an issue for me. I used it in every situation I knew...took it travelling several times, used it in snow, rain, even a hurricane, nothing fazed it. Controls are easy to use, and it doesn't take much to get at most of the key items. Overall I love this camera- i'm having mine IR converted soon because I now have the D200. I can't bring myself to part with it though.

Not required.

Nikon D70S, D50, D200, D2X; Canon EOS 20D, 300D, 350D, Olympus E300...

[Dec 28, 2005]
    Samontuesday
    Beginner

Strength:

Great value for money Compact Light Menu is quick and easy to navigate, and understandable Instruction book is actually usefull.

Some times a little slow to auto focus, though could be the lens more than the camera

What a fantastic camera. I bought this becauseI I wanted to have more control over my pictures and was about to go traveling. I had only heard good things about Nikon and it fitted nicely into my price range. The preset functions are really good, and unless taking a particular night shot or trying for a certain effect then they are perfect for everything, the macro function is especially good and has produced some fantastic results. I would reccomend this camera to anyone who can afford it, especially if you are interested in furthering your knowledge in photography and what to be a little more serious about the pictures you take.

Website is second to none, and once you have registered and need to ask questions the replies are usually within the hour.

lots of compact digitals