Nikon D80 Digital SLRs

Nikon D80 Digital SLRs

Outstanding performance, ease of operation, versatile personal control and exciting in-camera effects make digital SLR photography more rewarding for all. The D80 features a new 10.2 effective megapixel DX Format CCD image sensor, bringing a new level of high resolution and sharp detail to the class while also providing plenty of freedom to crop creatively and print impressive enlargements. Nikon's DX Format sensor and Nikon F bayonet lens mount design assure unprecedented compatibility across the comprehensive assortment of AF Nikkor lenses and DX Nikkor lenses designed exclusively for Nikon digital SLR cameras. The Nikon D80 beautifully combines the best of latest advances in digital technology with ease of operation and quick and efficient camera handling. Add to this the advantages of Nikon's Total Imaging System and every aspiring photographer is certain to enjoy the Nikon digital SLR experience as much as the superb pictures produced with the D80.

USER REVIEWS

[May 12, 2016]
nikond80

Strength:

Price

Old

Obviously, I am enamored with the Nikon D80. As one who has extensively used the D100, D70s, and D200, I was curious as to how the D80 would “shake out” in comparison with these fine cameras. The answer is that it does very well indeed.
James

[Apr 03, 2010]
AL
Professional

Strength:

An earlier reviewer mentioned that the D80 was slow, however, the only times I've ever seen this is when I had to use a slow SD card. Ordinarily I feed this camera a SanDisk Extreme III, and it's blindingly fast. What I like most is that this camera is NOT a menu driven camera. Just about anything you need has an external control which minimizes going to the menu screen (something I hate about Canons).

Clearer ISO above 600 would have been nice. I compensate by using very fast glass, something that has worked very well for me.

I've worked with the Nikon D80 for about 3 years. I purchased it the day after my Olympus E-10 died. I've taken about 10-12000 images with no problems. The experience I've had with the D80 has been so good that I will be buying a D700 this summer, unless there is a D700x/s coming out...my D80 will be used as a backup.

Unused.

Olympus E-10, a great camera till it died.

[Oct 02, 2009]
Nandoacha
Intermediate

Strength:

Easy to use and understand.

Low weight.

Reliable.

Plastic construction.

Lots of noise in 400 ISO.

Low speed.

I used the Nikon D80 for a couple of years. Mostly outdoor photographs, no studio photos. I think this is an incredible camera for someone new in photography because has enough features so you do not get overwhelm and gives you time to focus more in other areas, such as the understanding of composition and natural-light. Even the disadvanteges can be turn into advantages. I used to take soccer and surf photos and the speed of the D80 is rather slow (2.5) so that gives you the opportunity to train your eye, your timming, to read your environment properly. I used this camera for about 3 years and i learned a lot about photography with it, now i upgrade to a Nikon D300, another whole new world. In short, if you are new to phtography, you are looking for your first DSRL, go for it.

Nikon D50

[Sep 06, 2009]
al reyes
Professional

Strength:

1. solid body construction

2. can accept vintage and new lenses

3. can accept third party lenses; i.e., zeiss, tokina, etc.

4. easy to hold

5. good low light photography

6. great remote flash operation

7. well balanced

1. viewfinder too small

2. not waterproof nor splashproof

3. needs automatic internal dust removal and cleaning.

The D80 from Nikon is a small marvel of computer science married to well engineered optics. Relatively easy to use, it has programmed modes for the uses that prefer that the camera adjust itself to suit their shooting needs, apart from the usual manual and semi-auto modes. The automatic focus, when used with both classic and modern Nikon lenses, works well and works quickly. it does help if the user practices using the half pressed shutter button to get the cam to pre focus.

I prefer to shoot with manual exposure and manual focus, but thats just me.

Apparently the camera does a multitude of things internally before it finishes shooting, including looking up focus and exposure tables and other things, and I am of very little patience, so I keep it in manual and bypass the six computers in it. I trained on a seagull 120 film TLR For years and can set the assorted dials by intuition, but for some people it might be a reasonable way to start.

the images from the D80 are very crisp. The color tones change according to the glass you use on it, Nikon glass is a bit warmer and softer than my Zeiss lens. the Zeiss has a touch more blue in it and saturates less, gives a clearer photo than the stock nikon.

Nikon will not support third party lenses. shame.

The D80 is a sturdy camera, designed for a clean intuitive usage.

Coming from the medium format world, the viewfinder for ALL DSLRS are abortions, every one - all are too small and they should be optically tiltable built on the camera on at least a two inch optical viewfinder [ no video plz!], that for the D80 no exception. I have yet to figure out how to clean that viewfinder, it traps everything in there.

Featurewise, its a deep deep machine. depending on your usage for the camera, its loaded.

it has outstanding command of both wired and wireless systems of flash, and with my sb600 and a circular diffuseer on that, it takes insanely gorgeous photos.

it comes really close to the 120film photos from my Kiev 88e medium format camera.

that's what it needs, a nice viewfinder like this or a Hassyblad has! that would be so nice.

other than that, its a wonderful camera and I would replace it with the same model if I lost it into a volcano or something like that.

it does have a steep learning curve to really do a great job, but I was able to use it ten minutes after opening the box. then I read the 300 page manual. and bought the training video sold on it. and read a book or two about how to use all those features.

its like the english language, just because the dictionary has 20 million words doesn't mean we use all of them each day, some people live off a vocabulary of ten. sure I can do things with just ten features on the D80, but learning the rest is fun and there's a LOT you can learn to do with this nice concoction of technology.

great web site, has a traveling school that tours the country.

[May 31, 2009]
Cross-Eyed Mary
Beginner

Strength:

Automatic mode
Fast focusing
Light weight, feels good
Good photographs
Vivid colors reproduction
Viewfinder has that grid thingy, that helps me level my photos

Must purchase more expensive lenses for different shooting styles.

I'm a total newbie so bear with me.

I received this camera as a gift from my boyfriend.The first thing that comes to mind is that this camera is very light, feels good in my small hands.Easy to use, it takes great photographs.

As I am a beginner,I would say this is a great entry level digital camera.

not needed

None

[Jun 16, 2008]
Sivakumar Rajamanickam
Intermediate

Strength:

Good shots and quick response time. Noise free till ISO 800 and after that its usable.
Exposure compensation faults were fixed from the old firmware 1.01 by the latest one 1.10.

None, as far iam concerned. Iam too personal for Nikon Cameras, as i own D80, L3, L12.

Nikon D80 is one great piece of DSLR. It takes great pictures at all occasions. I have used this camera for more than a year now and its awesome product. Iam not boosting for Nikon, as i have used Canon, Konica Minolta and Olympus before going for Nikon D80 and i find the D80 has lots of user friendly menus and operations. Its Great Camera for its Price. I would strongly recomend this camera.

Good

Olympus E500, Konica Minolta Dimage Z3, Canon EOS 3000N

[Apr 16, 2008]
photobyjewell@yahoo.com
Expert

Strength:

Speed,Handle great, overall great camera If you want to see what the camera can do check out my website at http://visionsofmemories.ifp3.com to see what the camera can do and the great picture quality you can't beat

Done

This Camera the Nikon D80 SLR is a amazing camera with great features heads down that you can't find else were great camera handle great and great picture quality

great

Nikon D40X Nikon D 40 nikon D 70 all great but the nikon D80 is a must have camera and for the price you can't beat

[Mar 28, 2008]
Grandpaw
Intermediate

Strength:

Great battery life
Very good grip
Excellent image quality
Easy to use options and button layout
three frames per second and not having to wait for processing.

owners manual jumps from page to page to cover one subject. Go to the Nikon site and click on the Digituter for your model Nikon and it will show a video covering each operation of your camera.

None on the camera so far.

I have used a Nikon F since 1970 until about four years ago when I purchased my first digital camera. Last year I bought my Nikon D80 to step up the quality, versatility and speed to be able to get the pictures I had been missing.

I purchased the D80 with an 18-200VR lens along with a Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens and SB600 flash.

I have been very impressed with both the camera and the lenses. The camera has a great grip on it and is easy to hold and the buttons and menus are nice as well. I will say that going from a 35mm film camera to digital has a bit of a learning curve. This camera has many options that let the user control every aspect of how the picture will be taken, end up looking in print, or look on your computer screen. The hardest thing for me so far was remembering that I have all the many options available and remembering to actually try them while shooting. In the beginning, all the options seem a little overwhelming but are really quite easy to use after trying them a few times.

This camera combined with the Nikon 18-200VR zoom will give you outstanding pictures. I have enlarged my pictures up to size 20x30 inch prints and they are still very sharp. This combination of camera and lens will cover almost every picture-taking situation that will come up. The battery last for a VERY LONG TIME even when the using the camera daily and you forget to turn it off.

I would highly recommend both this camera and lens to anyone wanting a versatile easy to use camera that is capable of giving you stunning pictures.

I would like to add that this camera and lens combination focuses fast and allows three frames per second up to 100 pictures as long as you have enough memory and power to accomplish this task.

Please do yourself and the camera a favor and learn the different shooting modes. Buying this camera and leaving it in auto mode should be against the law and doesnt do the camera justice.

Haven't had any problems but have called to ask questions and they were very knowledgeable and helpful

[Mar 11, 2008]
johnnykuhn
Intermediate

Strength:

Feels strong and the pictures are razor sharp and tasty

None - so far

Love this camera. My wife just purchased it about a month ago and I've read some very good books from Casper Tybjerg (danish Nikon photograph) to get startet the right way. In the 80's when I was studying graphic arts, I learned some basics about photography and I bought a Pentax, but my interest wasn't really turned on at this point. A couple of years ago I bought a Canon ixus 4.0, but I regretted I bought a point and shoot camera because I could feel that I wanted to do more.
So when my wife told me that she needed a new SLR camera I got the job to find the right one. And I must say I'm not disappointed that I chose the Nikon D80 Kit. Love the pictures I'm able to take today. Actually I've been waiting for year to get into to semi-prof photography.

Pentax Filmbased camera from the 80's

[Feb 21, 2008]
Wayne Young
Intermediate

Strength:

Build quality is great.
Image quality is fantastic.
VERY long battery life.
Great menu system.
Big, bright screen.
CLS compatible.
Good AF.
Nice size with a really nice grip.

No anti-dust system.
Metering sometimes gets it wrong.
Doesn't shoot uncompressed RAW like the D200.
Uses SD cards. I'd rather CF.

After much reading I was torn between the D80 and EOS 400D. I was swaying towards the D80 but when I felt the camera in my hands I knew that it was the camera for me. The Canon felt so cheap and flimsy by comparison.

So I opted for the D80 with the 18-135 kit lens and have never looked back. The whole Nikon system is fantastic. I now have 1 50mm f1.8 & Sigma 15-30 to compliment the D80 and the handling is great. I also have an SB800 speedlight which is great as the D80 supports the Creatlive Lighting System, which means wireless control of your flash from your camera.

The metering can sometimes unpredictable, which has actually forced me to start shooting fully manual whenever possible, which I'd say is a good thing. It's not as big a problem as you might think, as I always have the camera set to histogram view so you can assess the expsosure level as you shoot.

Not needed so far.

Pentax K10D.
EOS400D.

Didn't like the Canon. Pentax was good but the handling of the D80 is spot on.