Canon A1 35mm SLRs

Canon A1 35mm SLRs

Classic Canon SLR. One of the first cameras to have autoexposure functions.

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 01, 2020]
ricoboc

Strength:

I give this camera and most vintage Canon camera's 3 stars. This is not based on performance, as I think of most vintage cameras as dummy boxes and anyone with a little skill can make beautiful photos with these cameras. My rating is based on market value. I have always found the Canon price point to be above and beyond all other makers. Even in todays digital age these camera bodys are still demanding a rather high price point. I search eBay often and in 2020 these bodies sell in the 130.00 USD and many times higher range for a proper functioning unit. Now that may not seem like an outrageous price, but considering the age of the unit and the chance you take when purchasing used gear, that dollar amount can jump much higher. All my used cameras get CLA'd upon arrival, and most times new light seals and bumper pads are added. Now, if you don't do the work yourself, that 130.00 camera just cost you approximately 220.00 USD, and I didnt factor in the shipping.

Cameras are not the weak point, operators are.

Price Paid:
95.00
Purchased:
Used
[Jul 20, 2020]
fguerro

Strength:

* 5 automatic exposure (AE) modes (program, aperture, shutter, flash and stopped-down) * Metered manual mode* Various accessories available* Relatively inexpensive FD lenses* Exposure compensation* AE lock.

* 1/1000 max shutter speed * No TTL flash* 1/60 flash synch* Develops "Canon squeak" if not used in a long time (caused by the lubricants drying up in the mirror gear system). But relatively easy to fix via CLA (clean, lubricate and adjustment) with camera technician. I bought this camera new with 50mm 1.8 lens in 1984. I also have motor drive ma, speedlite 199a, 28mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8 and 35-105mm f3.5 lenses. The camera is a joy to use. There are many modes but relatively easy to use. It has the vintage look and feel of camera systems from the 70s and early 80s. Aside from "Canon squeak" (from not being used in 24+ years), the camera has been extremely reliable. Has produced nice pictures and relatively nice ergonomics despite its age. Can weigh 2.6lbs with motor drive and lithium batteries. I bought a Canon T90 to complement my A-1 for the faster shutter, TTL flash synch speeds, partial, spot & multispot metering modes.

Price Paid:
1984
[Jan 11, 2012]
AshRobins
Intermediate

Strength:

everything.

nothing

i first picked this camera up when i brought it, even though it has slight camera squeal, but this is acceptable due to its age, the camera to use itself is one of the best i have ever used! of course apart form my medium format.
i would prefer to use this camera above any digital down to the pure quality.

nikkormat.
Canon AE-1

[Dec 21, 2010]
Bob
Expert

Strength:

Everything

None

I have used this camera for just about anything you could imagine, from action shots to professional portraits with all stops between using both film and slides. I still use it after almost 30 years and it performs as well as it did the day I bought it. It has several of the capabilities of today's digitals. The only possible down side is that you must use 35mm film, plus the added expense to have the pictures developed.

It is what I consider to be an excellant camera rwgardless of price. I also purchased additional lenses, filters, special effects filters, remote flash equipment, etc. over the years to enable professional studio portraits.

Never had to use it

None

[Nov 09, 2009]
Gape
Beginner

This is a nice camera. I got it with 3 lenses (50 mm f/1.4; 135 mm f/3.5 and 300 mm f/5.6). On some pictures are some shines (I don't know why). I hope the next film will be O.K.

[Oct 27, 2009]
w.slayman
Expert

Strength:

Simplicity of Operation (Program AE)
Ease of operation.
Quality of Photographs.
Price
Feel and Fit

NONE

A friend asked me to purchase a basic 35mm camera system (Under $500)for his 17 year old son (slightly mentally challenged) with no photogrphy experience. I came up with the folllowing based on my experiences with the A1. All items were purchased online and are in excellent or better condition. Canon A1 ($140); FD 28-85mm f4 ($159); FD 70-210 F4 ($79.00). Winder A ($21.00); and Speed Lite 177A ($25.00). Total cost of $424.00. A comparable used system in the Canon Auto Focus would have cost him in excess of $600.00. After giving him a short lesson on how to use the camera (mostly in program AE) he started taking pictures, and after taking a photography class at the local Junior College he started taking fairly good photographs.

Last week I told him that my son wanted a 35mm camera and that I would give him $500 for his system. His reply was not printable but in essesence he said no way. This young man is in love with his A1, and is saving for better lenses. When I asked him to rate it 1 to 5 he said a strong 10, and asked me to write a review for him, because he can not write very well.

[Sep 10, 2008]
danic
Intermediate

Strength:

Rugged
Durable
Smooth winding action

None.

This camera was given to me as a gift, with a whole range of lenses.

I haven't been disappointed at all with this setup. I have a 28mm, 50mm, 35-70mm, 70-210mm and x2 TC. These cover the full focal range for me and offer the versatility that I need.

The exposure is fine for most occasions, and is able to take some punishment when being slung around.

I would highly recommend this camera for anyone wanting to shoot 35mm film.

Not required.

Pentax Spotmatic

[Sep 05, 2008]
Allan Mee
Intermediate

Strength:

One of the best informational viewfinders ever put into a camera.
5 simple to use AE exposure modes and full manual modes.
Well built - despite some shutter squeal on some models.
Multi-exposures lever.
Great range of acessories and lenses.
Long battery life.
Cheap s/h prices.

No autofocus.
Uses older FD mount rather than newer EOS mount.

One of the world's classic film SLRs.
Ideal for the pro-photographer or even a newbie amateur.
Probably THE best camera of the 70s era. It's the camera that 'converted' me to Canon.
Two words sum it up:-
Totally brilliant.

NA nowadays unfortunately.

OM2, OM40, Various Nikon F series.

[Apr 04, 2008]
Al Kassam
Beginner

Strength:

Build quality, ergonomics, well balanced, ease of use, many available accessories, Lenses are plenty and quite easy to find on E Bay.
The overall feel in your hands suugest a precision photographic instrument.

The Shutter squeek, Some ones gotta know how to rid that irritating niose.

I am extremely happy to own this camera. It is in my opinion, one of the finest SLR's ever designed. (LeicaR4S mod.p, Nikon F4, and the Leica M6ttl) are the best ones. However, the A1 is a continuous joy to use. The exposures are perfect everytime. The only camera of the bunch that I regularly shoot in the Program mode with superb results. One disappointment is the dreaded...
shutter squeek. Ok someone, HELP>>>>>>What is it? and how do you get rid of it?
I certainly could use some advice as how to overcome this nuisance.

Overall, a masterpiece which doesn't need to stay on a shelf. - Use It !

DOn't have any need yet.

Leica r4sP, Nikon F4s, Nikon FA, Leica M6

[Sep 25, 2007]
Mal
Expert

Strength:

Exposure accuracy.
Able to blow up to 'infinity'!
Ready availability of cheap but excellent accessories
No need to worry about "sensor dust"

Weight
Occasioanal miss load of new film roll.

Bought the Canon A1 13 years ago, fixed the "Squeak" with online advice and have acquired extras galore as the masses flock to "megapixels"!
I love it each time I hear, "your photos are so clear, whAT kind of camers do you use?"
Here's hoping film processing does not go the way of Black & white!
Malachy