Canon EOS 1N 35mm SLRs

Canon EOS 1N 35mm SLRs

The EOS-1N was designed to build on the strengths of the EOS-1, a camera that revolutionized the professional market, and to incorporate new technologies and design concepts to fill professionals' wish lists. One of its many advanced features includes a five-point autofocus using a new high-precision Multi-BASIS (Base-Stored Image Sensor) for wide-area coverage.' '

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 25, 2019]
keiron5756

Strength:

This camera is bulletproof, no matter what abuse you give it, it has excellent metering, accuracy and these days (2019) is an absolute steal at approx. £100. The autofocus is a bit ancient now, but if you have a point manually selected it is instant. I also have a Canon EOS 1v, which is generally better, however the autofocus on it can be fussy with 45 points and takes a bit too long to select manually. This problem does not exist on the 1n. Any photographic mistakes are the fault of myself, not the camera.

Two: The idiot standing behind it, and the viewfinder is a bit dark sometimes.

Price Paid:
1996
[Jun 23, 2008]
kurttarvis
Professional

Strength:

100% viewfinder, 6fps (w/ pack), strong and rugged with weatherproof seals, fast and good auto focus.

some people complain about it's weight (doesn't bother me).

I use both digital and film SLR's and I bought this to replace my awesome Pentax K1000 and Pentax ME Super. This really is the professional's camera. It's amazingly accurate, has great and fast autofocus, and it is a total tank. It has so many different features on it as well.

Pentax K1000, Nikon D40x, Nikon D300

[Dec 25, 2002]
retro dave
Expert

Strength:

-6fps -built like a tank -hs attachment -and the backlight

-viewfinder doesnt look as good as the 5 -no flash -slower than the 3 and the 1v -the weight, but the only people who cant stand the weight are the elderly and pansies. -the noise

I originally baught this camera after having an eos 5 or the original semi-pro elan camera (or whatever ever the yanks call it). I needed the ruggedness and its been brilliant. works a treat for wildlife photography 95% of exposures are dead on works well with the L series. I like the idea of the 1v but the ettl underxeposes at times, but the 10fps, 45 point selector and build quality kicks ass.

screw that

-eos 5 -bronica etrs -pentax mg

[Sep 25, 2002]
urmithu
Intermediate

Strength:

The well built 'tank' style body. Holding grip makes me feel like a real pro. Very accurate metering. Easy to use motor drive with regular AA batteries. Both vertical shooting.

None.

Top of the line, the best SLR, in the world. It worths its every dollar. A solid professional well built camera anyone can expect. The A2 used to be my primary body for a long time. While upgrading, buying this EOS 1N instead of 1V, I think I made the right call according to budget and performance. Yes, it is built like a tank and works like a champ. It is heavy and its for the pro use. It took me a while to get to know all the features, I am overwhelmed by the characteristic of this camera. I love the motor drive, even it gets heavier with on it. All the meterings are awesome and right on the spot. I love it and highly recommend.

Very friendly and helpful.

EOS A2, EOS A2E, EOS 3, ELAN.

[Sep 09, 2002]
andreas
Intermediate

Strength:

- Build quality (Tank) - Metering accuracy - AF (Lightning fast) - Ergonomics - Control/button layout - Battery life - Operation modes (you can switch from full manual to full auto - with a blazing 9 fps using the booster - in no time)

- Loud mirror slap.

This camera is remarkable! It is so accurate, versatile and well constructed that it makes you forget about any picture-taking concerns you might have when you're out and at it. I can't remember ever asking myself questions like "Is the weather to cold?", "Is the rain ruining my camera?" or "Do I have the shutter-speed for this?" when using this camera. Once you're done loading film, all you have to do is let it rip.

EOS 650, EOS 100, EOS D30

[Sep 05, 2002]
merwin
Intermediate

Strength:

Fast autofocus Ergonomics & sturdy body

It don't have AF sensor, it is very useful when shooting in the low light situations

I think it is the best camera in the Canon line. It is so simple that you don't have to read the manual. I like the sound of the mirror slap, it gives me confidence when shooting. Beside its sturdy body, the metering is also acurrate.

None

Canon Eos 5

[Aug 26, 2002]
Michael J Hoffman
Expert

Strength:

ergonomics pro features - PC socket - backlit LED panel - 100% viewfinder ease of use in manual mode

I wish there were a way to retain the number of exposures desired in multiple exposure mode from frame to frame. As it is you have to reset for every frame. But that is a personal preference that I'm sure others might not want.

Every option on this camera wors just as it was designed to work - very well. What contiually impresses me, though, is the ease of shutting off all of the options. The ease of use in totally manual mode is what sets this camera apart from almost all other AF SLR's. The handling of the camera is fantastic; it feels like an extension of my hand. The ergonomics and simple user interface make this camera - in my opinion - the best camera of the AF SLR era, and probably one of the best 35mm cameras of ever assembled.

Not needed for this camera. Otherwise fair, honest and timely.

Canon EOS Elan 7 Canon EOS 650

[Aug 25, 2002]
GARY
Intermediate

Strength:

16 zone metering-fine spot metering-exposure compensation-AE lock-Quick control dial-weight-I LOVE THIS CAMERA!

NONE

This is the greatest thing that has happened to me in many years of photography. After many years of using the Canon AE1 and loving it, I decided to move into the future with this camera. The five point auto focus and the metering system of this camera is amazing. This camera is built to last a life time. The weight is perfect for holding the camera still during long exposures and the function buttons are easy to use and remember. This camera is fast, dependable and the best buy on the market. I looked at the EOS 1V and opted for the 1N, and i'm glad I did. Buy one before it's too late!

Not needed

Canon AE1 Pentax

[Jul 09, 2002]
glee
Intermediate

Strength:

Weight-Fast- Built to last-Easy to learn

NONE

I purchased the 1n after years of shooting with a AE-1 and was surprised at the great things that are possible with the 1n. I liked the AE-1 so well it was hard to make the move and give up my old friend, but am I ever glad I did. The 1n is a wonderful camera and a great camera even for people who sometimes think newer can't be better. I have read reviews where some say weight is a problem, but it adds to the ability to hold the camera. I'm sure this is the last camera I will ever need. By the way, I tried digital and found that it took away from my creativity.

none

Canon AE-1 Pentax

[Feb 25, 2002]
crgmagee
Professional

Strength:

TANK, fast AF.

Heavy as a tank with the power booster on. I wish canon didnt use the black paint on the hotshoe,it looks tatty after a month of putting the flash on and off.

All i have to say really is that it is a great camera. lives up to everything i expected. It is VERY tough. I was hit buy a 50lb bmx bike with pointy bits and all that happened to the cam was a little nick on the front in the polycarb. It is fine otherwise

EOS 600/630