Canon EOS 1V 35mm SLRs

Canon EOS 1V 35mm SLRs

A new addition to the celebrated Canon EOS System incorporating several significant innovations in durability, performance and cusomization targeted at professional photographers.

USER REVIEWS

[Nov 16, 2020]
brenbobb01

It has no weakness for me.

Purchased:
Used
[Oct 27, 2020]
dvanmet

Strength:

I like a tank of a camera, and this one is a tank. It is ruggedly built and simple to operate. The metering is extremely accurate. After a few years shooting digital, which has far too many bells and whistles, this camera strips taking pictures back to it's essence yet still has electronic conveniences. The weight makes for a steadier hold and the battery grip gives big hands some place go without having dangling fingers.

It will always be the weight but it does not bother me.

Purchased:
Used
[Dec 05, 2009]
d2f
Expert

Strength:

built solid, professional looks, and easy to view the viewfinder with glasses on.

None

It is the stuff dreams are made of, and more. For years I used several Canon F-1n and T-90s, as well as EOS-3 and Elan-7. But always wondered what it would be like to own a 1V.

When I won a mint EOS-1V on ebay my wondering was over. It is great time machine, capturing those fleeing moments in life on film, that somehow has a different feel to them compared to digital SLRs I own.

Maybe it is the confidence that comes with knowing that I have the best film cameras Canon ever produced in my hands that makes that little difference in my images or the fact that I take my time to create the image before taking the shot as opposed to creating one in photoshop after the fact. In any case, it has replaced the trusted T-90 as my carry along candid image camera and combined with a EF 28-135 IS lens, I am rediscovering my love for photography once again.

Sure I still pull out my old T-90 and 85 1.2 L lens or 135 2.0 lens to create those magical portraits, but all in all the 1V is used for everything else.

Let's face it getting minty 1V for $300 makes it a great value. Compared to the current Canon digital flagship cost, you cannot go wrong.

I hope that if you have a chance to pick up one of these beauties for a good price that you take the chance and try it out for your self like I did and discover just simple it is to use and how much fun it is to own.

d2f

none needed

F-i, F-1n, new F-1, RT, Elan 7, EOS-3, and T-90

[Dec 11, 2008]
eregis
Intermediate

Strength:

Build Quality
Focusing
Custom Functions
Ergonomics

Weight - if you are bothered about it

I bought this camera in mint condition off a friend who ran 27 rolls through it befroe he upgraded to a 1D-S. I had always wanted one and I was not sissappointed at all.

The build quality is that of a tank and yet it feels like a smooth extension of your hand. While some may criticize the weight, for this sort of camera, it is what I would expect. you have to come prepared when you want to use it.

Surprisingly, it's simple to use and fairly intuitive. I stepped up from a EOS 300 and they share much of the same interface except you have much more functionality and the focusing is extremely fast.

Custom functions need only be set once - you won't need to change them again.

This (I believe) is the only film camera Canon makes now. It is pricey new but the upgrade to digital means that at second hand, you will pay a much cheaper price than what I paid for it. You will not regret it. I have taken it all over the world and enjoyed every minute with it.

Never needed. bought with 27 rolls on the clock and 6 months of warranty left - in 2004

EOS 300 (still my spare)

[Aug 12, 2007]
Scott Evans
Professional

Strength:

The strengths for me are speed, ease of use (no more or less complicated than any other camera) from the 1st time you pick it up. The information and controls are laid out perfectly and the feel and sound screams solid build. The sealing and feel is first rate.

If I had to pick one and I am forced to do this I would have to say the weight can be a bit much for some.

The Canon 1V HS is for me on of the last great film camera bodies. The quality of build is amazing and the function of this camera is unrivaled by none.

There is no "perfect" camera that allows you to shoot anything you want at any time but for me this camera comes the closest. If you couple the 1V HS with "L" series lenses you have a world class outfit. You can shoot fine art to weddings. Sports to portraits.

If you want a camera that will allow the most shooting diversity I would highly recommend that 1v HS. Film is not dead, far from it and now you can get a $2800.00 camera for under $800.00!

No need for this camera

Contax RTS
Canon A2E
Nikon F90

[Mar 04, 2007]
jorgemonkey
Expert

Strength:

AF
Build Quality

menu structure is hard to get around
To me the body is a little big, and it doesn't quite fit in my hand nicely, but its more of a personal weakness than a product weakness

The company I work for shooting youth sporting events has this camera, and I have been using it for a few months.

The AF is very fast, and the build quality is fantastic. Some of the bodies we use have a cracked LCD screen on the top, and other parts banged up (the bodies they have have been used & abused) and they still work like a charm. The images we get from this body are fantastic.

Any piece of equipment that has been abused for as long as the cameras at the place I work for, and still work is a testament to the quality of the product.

Haven't had to use it

Nikon D1, D1h, D2h, Canon EOS 1N

[May 25, 2006]
J!m
Professional

Strength:

The entire design is strength. Speed. Resistance to the elements. Quality. Accuracy. More 'good' shots per roll; and that's what pays the bills...

I love the 'safety shift' function. That function alone makes this a worth-while investment for any pro who relies on getting the shot at all costs.

I was surprised when I contacted Canon regarding the suggested operating temperatures for the 1v. "There are none" was the simple, and unbelieveable answer I received. I do suggest (as Canon does) that you run the NiMh battery in extreme cold. This also affords a 10 FPS shooting speed. Think about that for a second- that is 1/10 second interval frames, virtually a movie! It brings new dimension to action sequenses, just be careful; as you will burn through a 36 exposure roll in under four secdonds... (when I first test-fired the camera with the NiMh battery at ultra-high speed advance, I laughed out loud at how fast that shutter tripped!) This is still the worlds fastest FPS count available in an SLR camera. Don't even TRY to touch that with even the latest Digital offerings...

1/8000 maximum shutter speed... I have no need for ND filters any longer.

1/3 stop exposure control (switchable to 1/2 or 1 stop)... Perfect exposure every time.

Is it heavy? Yes it is. But it balances nicely with the faster, heavier L glass I use. More mass makes it more stable, and virtually every surface has grippy rubber on it for those awkward gripping situations. I'm also used to the F-1 with the motor drive and a pile of AA batteries in it, so... The 1v feels like QUALITY in the hand.

The software package available for the 1v is outstanding. it remembers all your shooting settings, so you can loose the log book. Attach thumbnails in the computer, and you have a brilliant archive system.

The control layout could be more intuitive, as was mentioned in another review; however to Canon's credit, they managed to pack a boat-load of features in a few carefully placed buttons, rather than cluttering up the camera with all kinds of buttons and knobs. (most of the wheel and button functions can be re-arranged through the custom functions) less buttons means less places for water and dust to enter the camera...

The rear control wheel; however I typically have it turned 'off'. If it is left on, you can inadvertantly over or under expose a shot/roll. The wheel control switch is convenient and easy to get to, but not easy to 'accidentially' move, which is nice. In manual mode, this wheel controls the aperature, and the main wheel controls the shutter speed. All data is visible in the 100% viewfinder, so you don't ever have to remove your eye to see what's going on, and possibly miss a shot.

On the HS model (1v with power booster installed- as I use it) the switch for the secondary shutter release (when held vertically) can sometimes get shut off accidentially. I have a piece of gaffers tape on it to keep it in place.

I was the last hold-out on manual focus (Canon's legendary FD system), but I have to say, I'm a convert, and I'm never looking back!

WOW.

That sums it up. This is by far the best film camera (for 35mm format) ever made. I have been a photographer for over 20 years, starting in school with B&W processing up to today doing article photos for magazines (and a lot of crazy stuff in-between). I have always used Canon products, as I felt they always gave the most for the money; however Canon really out-did themselves this time.

Some say film is dead, I say try using ANY digital camera in -40 degree weather (or colder for that matter). It won't work. My trusty F-1 won't work (unless all the lubricant is removed); I have sold my last F-1 body- and for anyone who has used this classic work-horse camera before [the F-1], you know just how good that body was...

Case in point- pouring rain: I used the EOS-1v and my 24-70 2.8L with no moisture problems. other photographers at that event were cowering in their cars, under umbrellas- MISSING THE SHOTS. I got it all, and had no problems with either the lens or camera. Absolutely outstanding. When I did get into the shelter, everyone was concerned for my gear but me. I knew it wouldn't let me down, and it didn't.

I specialize in radical photography; Climbing mountains, freezing Canadian winters, crossing the North African desert... I go where other photographers fear to tread, and I now go there with my EOS-1v.

Even if I do switch to digital (and I honestly do loathe scanning negatives for hours on end), there will always be a place in my gear collection for this camera.

I currently run with two EOS1-v HS bodies (ALWAYS have a back-up); I may never need a third...

www.JamesLeachPhotography.com

Excellent- I needed an update to the archiving software, and they e-mailed it to me within 24 hours.

Phone and e-mail support is great too, as I had a few questions early on as I got used to the layout.

There is nothing else like it...

[Jan 04, 2006]
Longhair
Expert

Strength:

Strength of construction, handling (with the PB-E2 Motor-Drive), virtually indestructable, weather-sealed body, likely to give years of service. It gives a feeling of confidence not found in any other Canon model. (I know..... I've used most of them)

None really. The weight factor may bother some people, particularly if it's fitted with the PB-E2 Booster. Personally, I think it improves the balance.

There is one very good reason to buy this model at the moment, particularly if you can find a mint condition used one as I did (HS version with just 77 rolls on the counter). That reason being that it's doubtful whether we're going to see the likes of this type of camera ever again. Rumor has it over here in Japan that when this model has had its day, Canon will not replace it with an updated version, unlike Nikon with its slow-selling F6. A salesman who I know very well, and works for one of Japan's largest camera houses recently told me that the E0S-1D body is now outselling the 1V body at a rate of 60 to 1 ! I guess it's understandable when you consider just who the primary purchasers of these pro-level bodies are. The newspapers, sports magazines, etc. At the baseball in Japan, you will never see a Pro using anything but digital bodies any longer, and I guess that's the World-wide trend. However, getting back to my original comments, this puts the rest of us film users in an excellent buyer's market. The store where I bought my 2 year-old HS had more than a dozen to choose from. Having used an EOS-3 for 5 years prior to this purchase, I was immediately impressed by the obvious strength difference of the 1V over the 3. Many features are shared by the cameras, making it an easy transition from one to the other, but it's the shutter that gives that added feeling of confidence in the pro body. It seems indestructable by comparison. This strength aspect carries over into quite a few other areas,too. I don't want to reeat what a myriad of other reviewers have covered regarding its description. Suffice to say that it's doubtful you'll do any better, or require any more features than this model has on offer. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that it's an ideal time in which to be looking for your (possibly) final decent 35mm SLR body before their demise, and that you can't go wrong buying an EOS-1V (new or used) with prices and specials as generous as they are now. I waited patiently for this forseeable price drop, and I'm very glad that I did. I saved a heap of money, and picked-up a very fine piece of machinery at the same time, so if you truly want one too, you'd better pull your finger out and make that decision soon. Don't forget......he who hesitates........!

I live in Japan where the customer is King. They didn't have an English instruction book for this used model, so they posted me one from the head office next day. Say no more!

Canon EOS-3, Nikon F5 & 4S.

[Dec 17, 2005]
towguypaul
Intermediate

Strength:

everything that a photographer could ask for in a camera

user controls a bit hard getting used to but workable.

wow what a camera. have shot over a hundred rolls of film with this machine. why did i get a pro film instead of a pro digital? price. remember lenses is what makes a good quality sharp photo. the camera is just the storage with controlls so to speak. i rather spend my money on lenses in wich i did. this pro film camera has everything that a pro dslr has other than not being digital. and its fast fast fast with L lenses. 45 point auto focus, bright and easy to read LCD panel, user controls are a bit hard getting used to but workable. bright viewfinder--100%--i love it! its heavy with L lenses on it but again workable. feels great in the hands. i was shooting my freinds high school football game, well.......it was overcast and started raining, not a down pour but enough for others to seek shelter and put away there cameras so to speak. but i kept on shotting with my 70-200L IS lens. it rained for 30 minuts and not one drop made it into my comination that i had. i am very proud to own a machine like this. this is my first pro film and i did work my way up the ladder starting with the rebel ti and the elan 7ne. only 90% viewfinders in them and i wanted to see what i was getting on film. also another great way to crop your subject with a 100% viewfinder. plus the flash exposure bar that it provides is great to see what your flash is up to during manual operation. not for beginners just gettin into photography, but for the serious hobbyist or professional...........yup this is a great film slr if you cannot afford a dslr

have not had to use it.

canon rebel ti, canon elan 7ne, canon A620 7mp digital, canon eos 20d, canon 70-200L IS f/2.8, canon 24-70 f/ 2.8, canon 16-35 f/2.8 lenses

[Dec 04, 2005]
ajuk
Casual

Strength:

Quiet, Acurate

Bit but It needs to be, never got a chance to find out.

I had a go on sombody elses. Good camera, Awake up call after using an old manual camera for so long, Had ago a street photography but its not much good at that, its too big and bulky, but I was using it for a purpose it was not meant for. Great camera but I wouldn't buy one.

Few OM's F80,. Minolta D40