Canon EOS 3 35mm SLRs

Canon EOS 3 35mm SLRs

. The EOS-3 incorporates the world's first area AF system, a high precision focusing system, higher speed eye-control and improved high-speed focus tracking. Such technology combined with many of the features of the EOS- 1N and, of course compatibility with the extensive range of over 50 EF lenses and accessories, make the EOS 3 the perfect choice for advanced amateurs and professionals alike.

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 21, 2018]
Radim Nytl

Strength:

LEGEND OF ANALOG. One of the best fullframe analog camera ever made. Jedna z nejlepsich analogovych zrcadlovek policka klasickeho kinofilmu, ktera byla kdy vyrobena. 45 bodovy ostrici system, ktery skvele zaostruje a v ramci vyvolani fotografii nevznikaji takrka zadne odpadni materialy. S pouzitim filmu Kodak Ektar 100 a kvalitnich L-kovych objektivu Canon nebo Sigma Art smele konkuruje 20 Mpix digitalnim snimacum v detailech kresby i barevnosti.

only analog :-)

1999
[Aug 27, 2008]
hjoseph7
Intermediate

Strength:

Weather sealing, Fast Auto focus, build, multi-spot metering, 45 point AF.

Exrtremely noisy, quick-trigger shutter.

I purchased this camera back in 2005 but haven't had to use it much. Unfortunately around that time I also switched over to digital. In any case i wanted a good back-up film camera so I could shoot slides. This camera fit the bill it has allot of new features and is built like a tank. Most of the pictures taken with this camera were dead on. The Autofocus is fast actually faster than the AF on my Digital camera. One of the reasons why opted for another walk-around camera is the size of this camera, the noise and the quick-trigger shutter. Although I learned(the hard way) to use the tip of my index finger to trip the shutter instead of the entire front finger. Although some photographers swear by it, I wasn't too crazy about the eye-control feature, but I loved the multi-spot metering which helped me get some shots that I normally wouldn't get. All in all for a back up AF film camera, the EOS-3 is hard to beat.

[Mar 04, 2007]
John F
Expert

Strength:

Good Ergonomics, well built, and no exotic batteries.

Sealing against dirt and moisture, power switch a carryover from another era.

I initially was interested in EOS-1n. Unfortunately, those are either very expensive, or badly used. I watched the prices on Ebay rise wildly as people tried to outbid each other on beaters and visibly broken cameras. I instead opted for an EOS-3 and managed to get one with some patience and careful bidding. Slightly over $200.00 resulted in me getting an EOS-3 in like new condition with a decent neckstrap, a good battery, but no lens, so I expended some additional funds for 2 average quality BRAND NEW lenses. This camera is a beautiful piece of equipment but definitely not sealed like its more expensive relatives. For planned rodeo photography later this year I wll probably add some external sealing around the film compartment door, as this is where I see the potential for real issues. The camera works just great, can't beat it for the price although I would recommend setting an entire evening aside for a thorough reading of the manual. The camera's powerful internal processor requires a thorough knowledge of the various settings. Its ability to sense movement of your eye needs some careful presetting, after which it works quite well.

Canon EOS 650.

[Jun 30, 2005]
rascal38701
Intermediate

Strength:

Speed Features Ease of use Great compainion with the Canon 550EX Excellent fill flash with the E-TTL system

PC socket is in an bad location. Have to spend the extra money for the "locking" PC cord for my Alien Bee flash. With a regular PC cord it keeps falling out.

Great camera for someone who wants pro features and quality w/o paying the "pro" price. I purchased this camera along with the Canon 550EX flash. This setup has great speed, ease of use and mobility. I have let my boss use it to shoot a golf tournement on a bright sunny day and the EOS 3 w/ 550EX gave perfect results. He was very impressed, even for being a die hard Nikon owner. The E-TTL system is superb for outdoor fill flash. Makes those short timed photo shoots go so much smoother. I can keep my mind on the subject in hand and not what the camera will or will not do.

Had a little issue with my Canon lens not being fixed right. But they redid the repair and works fine.

Canon Rebel G Canon AE1 Program Nikon D1H Nikon F3HP Nikon FM2

[Feb 20, 2005]
markophoto1
Professional

Strength:

Tracking AF, metering system, balance and ergonomics, fairly good build quality, part of a very large and versatile family of SLR bodies, lenses, and accessories. Lots of bang for the buck.

Viewfinder quality marginal, 45 point AF array could've been better used spread more broadly across the frame.

Of all 35mm cameras I own this one has been with me the longest (only my Hasselblad and a rarely-used Sinar 4x5 have served me longer). As time has gone on I've come to prefer shooting manual-focus cameras and lenses to their auto-focus cousins, but there are times and projects where AF is de rigeur. Hence my EOS 3. To me, the very soul of any SLR camera is its viewing system. This viewfinder is of moderate quality. Easy to focus, nearly full coverage, you can clearly see everything but you don't get quite the "feel" for the light on the subject as with superior cameras. In fairness to the EOS 3, no other 35mm SLR in its price class, excepting a lower-end Contax, outperforms it and many fail spectacularly in this regard. Pity. It's so fundamental, so crucial. The build quality is excellent for a Canon product, a mark which I associate with many positive traits but definitely not build quality. It's solid but not heavy, well-balanced, with excellent ergonomic feel with or without a vertical grip mounted. As for AF performance, I'm never truly satisfied with any camera's single-shot locked AF, they're just fooled too easily. The eye-control feature, while clever, is hit-and-miss. However, it's with tracking AF that this camera really earns its stars. With the exception of the 1v, no other camera I've ever used, Canon, Nikon, or otherwise, even comes close. And it's tracking AF I need when I need AF, as my eyes are still good enough to focus on stationary subjects. Really the camera's raison d'etre. The metering system overall is good. The "spot" is a little bit widely-arrayed to my taste, but it still works adequately. The matrix-metering program, rarely-used but thoroughly tested, is actually excellent I must admit. And a big plus, Canon's "picket fence" meter is very easy to read in the viewfinder. Like most modern AF SLRs, this one's controlled by wheels and modal buttons, something which I have a distaste for. They are laid out and labelled clearly and easy enough to use, primarily controlled by an index finger wheel by the LCD and a thumb wheel on the back. All apertures and shutter speeds can be varied in 1/3 stop increments. And a whole lot of other (less vital to me) features too numerous to mention. Except for one of course. Mates well with a 550EX Speedlite. All in all, this is a good, versatile camera. I've shot fashion and lifestyles work and events with this camera for over 5 years now, and who knows how many rolls...

Never needed

Various Canon EOS cameras, including the 1v and 1n, A2 and A2E, a couple Elans, and various Rebels. Nikon F4 and N90. Contax RTS III and N.

[Jan 20, 2005]
Juancalop
Intermediate

Strength:

Easy handling, robust and realible equipment, good look.

No resistance to water, see my comments.

I was on a location n orthern Venezuela when a splash hitted me from the back, some small amount of water sprayed over the camera (that I tried to protect from the splash), so some dorps stayed fro seconds over the screen, wheel and shutter button. I did wiped off the water quickly and I was surprised when I realized that display was erratic and shutter start a malfunction behavior. Later on, shutter took a lot of time for finishing a single shoot and display wasn't clear Eventually the camera stoped working, even I spured some fresh water an wiped off all water. It happenned in the first day of a 9 days asignment. Hopefully my putfitter had an Elan II, so I borrowed from him and saved the trip. My complaint is based in the so named capacity of the EOS3 against dust and water. Even not waterproof, it should be at least splashproof, otherwise, how this camera shall resist dust?. When I wrote to Canon about the matter, they just refred me to the hanbook to recall "no waterproof" camera: very poor consumer post-service... Even I'm sticked to Canon (for some unknown reason that I can't put in clear thoughts) I was very dissapointed and unsatisfied. On the other hand, I bought EOS3 just to come into the 21st century. I was shooting with an AE1P. Even I shooted for a cofee table book in 2000 with the manual camera, I needed to get some autofocus and profesionals features equipment, so after reading some reviews Idecided to stay in Canon (despiting Nikon advestisement made by ALL my friends and photographers in Venezuela) and decide EOS3 was the camera. I had shooted some indoors churchs, museums, some outside feasts like carnivals and religious festivals under a heavy conditions and the only problem I found is the weight of the camera and flash over my neck. I think the camera is excelent, despinting my heavy learning curve.

[Jan 18, 2005]
holtonh179
Expert

Strength:

Lots of features for way under $1,000. Works great with multiple Canon flashes (and it does it without wires!). Construction and design appear solid.

45-point autofocus gets fooled fairly frequently. This particular camera body has developed a slow battery draw while turned off.

I bought this camera used from KEH Camera. It was in almost new condition. The main reason I bought it is because I can use multiple Canon 550EX flash units without wires. The camera's controls are pretty intuitive, though not as intuitive as my EOS Elan II. The EOS 3 is one of those cameras that has to be used at least a couple of times a month -- otherwise, you'll probably forget how to use some of its many functions. There are two things about the camera that are problematic -- one is in the design and the other is a repair issue. The first is the 45-point focusing system. While this is an excellent system, sometimes two or three of the outside points in the focusing point cluster pick out something in the foreground to focus on. This forces me to refocus, unless I'm using a small aperture. It can be annoying at times. The other problem I've had it that there is a mysterious battery draw that has developed over the last few months. The camera battery runs down on its own after several weeks, even with the power switch set to "off". So after two $10 batteries prematurely bit the dust, I have made sure to take the battery out if I'm not planning to use the camera for a few days. Other than that, I have had no problem with the camera, and it works wonderfully with multiple 550EX flash units. If you're looking for a film camera with lots of features that won't send you to the poor house, this is the one.

Not applicable.

Canon AV-1 (my first SLR), AE-1 Program, EOS 10s (should have never sold it), EOS Elan II.

[Jan 02, 2005]
rokkorku
Intermediate

Strength:

- Fast response - 45 AF Point with eye controlled focus - Multiple Spot Metering - Bright Viewfinder - Nice handling (with PB-E2 attached)

- Palm door easily to open - No Battery Indicator (has to accessed via palm door)

95% of 1V features is in this camera ! Choose EOS 3 due to budget but need professional features.

none

none

[Dec 24, 2004]
Mark Stephan
Intermediate

Strength:

Extremely easy to use. Great ergonomics, feels good in my hands. Outstanding battery pack and battery options such as the PB-E1. Fast Auto Focus. Eye control, works better than my EOS 5. Strong, solid body. It's a professional body and built to take it.

Could use an eyepiece blind. Wish selected focusing points worked with my 420EX. Canon forces users to purchased high end products to get everything out of their camera equipment.

Went to the camera store to look at picking up a back up body for the EOS 5 that I purchased from KEH.COM a few months ago and when I went to the store I went with my Nikon F4S/MF-23/28-70 lens as a trade-in and left the store with a near mint Canon EOS 3, BP-E2 and DB-E2. Boy was I in for a surprise! After reading and studying the instruction manual I went out and shot several rolls of film and I was amazed at the AFing speed and ease of use. One of the most amazing features is AI servo, it works very, very well. I also love the DEP mode when photographing the great outdoors, it sure makes figuring out the hyperfocal distance easier as well as controlling depth of field. This is one fantastic camera. Althouh I own several Nikon bodies and lenses I feel that when I go digital it'll be with Canon so I wanted to get into the Canon system and acquire lenses and ETTL speedlites so I'll already have everything I need when I get a Canon DSLR. Until then, I'll burn a lot of film with the EOS 3 and always keep it, it is simply the best AF camera I've ever used. One last thing, my favorite and most used manual camera is my beloved T90 and Canon has managed to integrate many of the T90 functions into the EOS 3. As a matter of fact the EOS 3 IS A T90 on steroids, both are amazing photographic tools!

None so far although this is my 2nd EOS 3 body since the first one I picked up didn't have a working multi-spot meter/FEL button but the store honored their 30 day warranty and I'm very pleased!

Nikon AF, Nikon MF and Canon MF

[Sep 13, 2004]
wild_shot
Intermediate

Strength:

Build Quality AF 45 zone meter! Price hehe 7 fps shooting with PB-E2. thats awesome right there. Everything :)

To be honest and fair, my only real iffyness with this camera is the eye control, while it is a really cool concept, im not quite sure how to use it so i just leave it off lol, oh and the custom functions door seems to be kind of awkward and could be broken.. but i take extreme care of my gear so it shouldnt be a problem

When I started school at the Brooks Institute I wanted to upgrade my current EOS Elan7, which BTW works fantastic also. I began hunting ebay feverishly until I found this bid, I actually got 2 bodies for half the price of one (2 for $720) :). Anyways, I have been so impressed with every function this camera has to offer, especially the 45 zone meter! I have shot both Fuji Velvia and Provia, with beautiful results, and i am constantly shooting Kodak Tri-X 400 through it as well with very pleasing results as well. Like the others have said, the AF in canon cameras are amazing, however I generally don't use AF for my products but when I do (w/ my 28-135mm IS USM) it works fantastic! Not to discount my Elan 7, but the body build is simply amazing, I love how solid it feels, and i cant wait to get the PB-E2 booster for it :).

None needed

Canon EOS Elan7 Pentax MX Nikon N80 Nikon f5 ( rented from school haha no way could i afford that) Canon EOS 1v-HS ( Also rented from school)