Konica Minolta X-700 35mm SLRs

Konica Minolta X-700 35mm SLRs

Minolta's X-700 is a perfect combination of sophistication and simplicity. In P mode, the camera selects both the shutter and aperture for the correct exposure, so all you have to do is focus and shoot. But if you want to take over, there's aperture-priority exposure control and full metered manual exposure control right at your fingertips.

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 27, 2015]
tommie hoff
Beginner

Strength:

I didn't know a lot about cameras back when I got this for Christmas in 1985 it was a great camera the Minolta x-700 came with 35-70mm lense &80-200mm lense zoom together as a kit came with bag and accesserires filters etc

I wasn't very good with this camera so I cant rate it.

overall ill have to say this camera was great il want to get something like but in the digital format same accessory but with a canon DSLR

OK!

NONE

[Jul 16, 2013]
Frits Seubring
Intermediate

Strength:

Just a perfect film camera

No digital back available

It was a perfect camera until digital photography came along.
Minolta lenses are still far better than most lenses you can buy today!
If I could buy a digital back a would consider it.

XD-7

[Nov 15, 2012]
Francis
Intermediate

Strength:

Well made,bright viewfinder,good value now,quality prime lenses,easy to use,positive feel to controls,long production run,so they must have got something right!

Reputation for poor low light metering and shutter release capacitor failures,the latter more likely on later models,it has been suggested. Perhaps a metal focal plane shutter would have been better? Probably cheaper and easier to buy two decent bodies,than hope to repair one broken one! Not always easy to obtain Minolta MD w/a and tele lenses,in UK anyway,especially in good clean condition.

Best manual SLR produced by Minolta. Get a good one(essential),stick a Fuji color negative film in it - and get back to some classic photography!

[Nov 21, 2011]
richard hale
Intermediate

Strength:

Good ergonomics. Surprisingly tough and reliable. Really nice lenses. AE lock really easy to use. Bright viewfinder. Depth of field preview. Good range of accessaries. Currently cheap s/h

Under/Over exposure not shown in viewfinder in metered manual mode. Maximum shutter speed s/1000. 80's styling!

A great film camera. Better than the sum of its parts. Cheap now and accessaries also very reasonably priced. Good for beginners and those with medium to large hands.

I bought my first X700 in Janaury 1985 new with a 35mm 2.8 lens, using a Minolta XG1 as PX (a camera I did not get on with). The X700 was my only camera for several years until finances allowed me to indulge a passion for collecting all those models I could not afford in my youth. I used it regulary for all manner of subjects and climates for 15 years until it was vandalised. When the insurance money came through I tried various newer cameras, which were very good but just did not feel right for me. So after a few years I got another X700 s/h together with the excellent motor drive. This set up lasted me another few years until I sold the system in a rash act of generosity to a colleague who wanted to try film.

There are a wide variety of lenses which will fit this camera, not as easily available as nikon or pentax but still not too hard to find. I recommend getting Minolta's 50mm f1.4 or 1.7 lens then a tamron 24mm or 28mm f2.5 together with a Tamron 70 - 210mm with adaptable 2 mount. If you can get one Tamrons sp2 90mm lens is a cracking macro/portait lens. With the macro or zoom lense use the motorwinder. This is an excellent accessary. It provides good grip and balance with heavy lenses and provides a shutter release for portrait format shot.

In a couple respects the X700 seems a bit backward even by the standards of the time it was introduced. The lack of fully metered manual mode together with its s/1000 top shutter speed and cloth shutter. However, I found that if I wanted to use manual, a separate light meter was the best way to go, as it offered a more considered approach to picture taking. When just out for a stroll the brilliant AE lock was all that was needed. Put the camera in aperture priority, meter,hold down AE lock and adjust aperture ring at the same time, to over or under expose your shot.

There are a number of good accessaries available other than the motor drive such as ttl flash guns, ring flash, extention tubes and belows, eyepiece dioptre adjustment lenses, anglefinder and even interchangable viewfinder screens, but you had to get the camera sent away to Minolta uk for the alternative screens to be fitted. I don't know if there is any one who will do this nowadays.

If you can track them down Minolta's MD lenses are great and feel really nice. They are also reasonably priced s/h as they don't fit any digital cameras to my knowledge.

Where the X700 really scores in my opinion is in its handling. Despite is frankly dated 80's look (I loved this in 1985, thinking it looked cool!), It fits medium and large hands beautifully. The shutter release is really nice, even though it does not have the feel of a mechanical one and the film advance is super smooth. As mentioned before the motor drive improves the feel with heavy lenses attached. If a camera feels right, you are far more likley to use it than one that does not. The viewfinder is nice and bright.

Would I buy one again? I am going to, if only because I am still in love with the X. Would I recommend one to someone else? Definitely. However, if you have small hands I would look at a Pentax ME Super or MX, or Olympus OM1n first.

Minolta Xk. Minolta XE1. Minolta SR1, Minolta SRT101, Minolta XG1. Nikon FM2. Nikon F4. Nikon F3. Pentax ME Super. Pentax MX. Pentax Super A. Pentax Mz5n. Pentax ist. Pentax Kx digital. Olympus OM1n.

[Jan 02, 2011]
AJ1234

Hey Guys,
I am a new entrant to this page. Recntly bought an X-700, Minolta.
In 1985 I was gifted with an X-300 and it gave awesome pictures. This inspired me and I ventured into buying a used X-700 but it came with a bunch of problems.
I am posting my observations, Can some body give me suggestions.
1) The shutter speed/ Program Mode selection Dial is loose. Altough it is working fine but there is play in it. It can be tilted in any direction about the click button.
2) Their is a ring (in the camera body) around the lens mount, with a nose. When the MD lens is mounted and we change the apperture setting, a similar ring with nose in the lens unit turns the ring in the camera.
This rign in the camera is jam and does not move freely.
3) I could not find what is the use of a little lever at the 10-O-Clock position on the lins mount.
If Some Has a suggestion, It will be highly aapriciate.

Thanking You,
AJ

[Jul 13, 2010]
Edward
Intermediate

Strength:

Great for begginers
Tips, tricks, and tutorals available online, just do a google search.

No easy method to double expose the film.

An Excellent camera for newcomers to the art of film photography. This camera is perfect for outdoor photography. My particular camera came with an 80-200mm Tokina 1:4 lense. The camera comes with a automatic mode in which the camera sets the aperture and shutterspeed for you.
The only con to the camera that i've found is that there is no easy way to take double-exposures. However the method is as follows:
1. Take your first picture
2. take up the slack in the film by re-winding the film till it is tight
3. press the film rewind button located on the bottom of the camera
4. while keeping the rewind lever still, wind the film as you normally would after a photograph.
5. take your second exposure
6. wind the film as you normally would and take your next photograph.

This camera is an excellent deal for beginners, and with the deal i recieved, it is one of the best purchases of photographic equipment I've ever made.

[Oct 18, 2008]
uccemebug
Intermediate

Strength:

1. Good construction

I have used both Minolta and Pentax bodies and feel that this model was the best-built and most dependable despite the many features.

2. Versatility

This inexpensive camera has not only the exposure overrides mentioned above, but a depth-of-field preview, timer and a cable release socket. Again, there are plenty of extensions available such as grips, motors, data backs, flashes, etc.

3. Handy "P" mode

The program mode is great for beginners.

4. Dependability

I've used this camera on mountain hikes; in the Australian outback; in the south Pacific; in rain forests; on long cycle trips; for portraiture; with infra-red film (for which it is really suited); with reverse-mounted lenses; in the rain; in sub-zero weather (for which I will admit that its battery-dependence is not well suited); and in terrible snowstorms. I took it on the road for a 19-month journey. I found that this camera not only stood up to all of it but came to feel like an extension of my hand -- it's an easy camera to appreciate because all of its functions just work.

1. The meter

The meter in this camera seems a bit limited. As my understanding of exposure grew I came to understand that the camera was giving me inconsistent results. I put this down to the meter, though I never entirely figured out where it was going wrong. I lay the blame with the meter, however, when I started to use the Minolta XD (with the same films, lenses, flash, etc).

It seems to me that the X-700 tends to underexpose, and the results get less predictable under low-light situations. To avoid this, I suggest two things:
a. use with a flash in low-light unless you have a way to independently meter and can adjust
b. bracket your shots using the exposure adjustment

One note: I've used a variety of infra-red films with three film bodies and found the X-700 to yield the most consistent and appealing results.

2. The looks

The camera's external body is largely constructed of plastic, and doesn't look like the dependable and versatile tool that it really is. If you care what people think of your gear, this isn't the camera you want to carry around.

You can by replacement leather for it, though -- I found that replacing the default faux leather helps considerably.

1. Easy to use

An X-700 allows newcomers to put the camera and lens in "P" mode and let the camera do everything else. This extends to compatible flash systems as well. In short, this camera allows you to automate everything but the focus and the film advance.

The controls are all very much self-evident with this camera, as well. There's no menu system on an LCD and no tricky button combinations. It's all manual and all laid out very well -- very much the opposite of today's DSLR's (which typically have a user interface more reminiscent of a photocopier).

The viewfinder is a big bright one with a lot of information laid out in a logical fashion. This camera spoils the user.

2. Versatile

The X-700 also has the standard aperture-priority and manual exposure modes, as well as a flash sync speed and bulb. It's got two exposure override features (a lock and a manual adjustment of +2/-2). It takes a wide range of film speeds. And it supports an enormous collection of lenses and other peripherals. It was designed as a "camera system" rather than a standalone camera and many of the peripherals can still be found (cheaper than ever, in some cases).

So once you've outgrown simple "P" mode automation, you'll find yourself able to take yourself a lot further with this versatile tool.

3. Dependable

I've had only one problem with my two X-700 bodies over the years. This is a well-made camera (don't let the made-in-China label on later models give you pause, Minolta was known for excellent camera manufacture and they kept the standards the same at the Chinese assembly line). The one problem I encountered was both a simple and cheap fix -- in part because Minolta sold so many of these cameras that the parts and repair expertise are not uncommon.

I found the X-700 readily repairable at third-party repair shops. It's a well-known model and one for which parts and expertise seem commonly available.

Minolta XD
Minolta SRT-101
Pentax MX
Pentax *istDS
Fuji F30
Olympus 35DC
various point-and-shoot film cameras, toy cameras

[Jul 11, 2008]
Drew Goodman
Casual

Strength:

Very lightweigt, even with an extra telephoto lens and a few rolls of film, this is great for my kind of photography, I often have to hike a few miles to get to my subject, etc. Many shutter speed modes, good for long exposures, and quick ones

Old-Skool, manual advance, Minolta-brand lenses and other accessories are no longer made, its film. Flash reaction is only good, not great

I was given this camera as a gift, more like a hand-me-down, overall, great camera

[May 01, 2008]
Erich Groebe
Intermediate

Strength:

COST! Used for under $100 if you are a savy shopper.
Availability of affordable, top-notch accessories.
Super quality lenses now available for pennies on the dollar.
Excellent quality construction with steel lense mount and rugged body.
Easy to use in any mode. Do it all yourself or use it as a point-n-shoot.

Personally I have not ever had a complaint other than the fact that the X-700 is no longer in production.

I originally purchased my first X-700 back in 1980, brand new for something like $225 as I recall. That camera was wonderful in every way and served me well for about 4 years until I ended-up in a tight spot during one of my many travels and needed fare for a ferry from Crete to Piraeus/Athens in Greece. Sold the ting for about $50 and regretted it every since.

In 2007 I decided after years without, that I wanted another 35mm SLR but really didn't like the features or prices of new ones and digital?...no way! I quickly ran to eBay and there I found it...a multitude of Minolta X-700's in all grades of condition from "just for parts" to "bought it but never used it". My dream came true when I won the auction for my "used 3 times then packed away 8 years ago" dream camera.

As if that weren't good enough, eBay also yielded a huge asortment of high quality accessories for pennies on the original dollar. I got a Minolta brand 28mm, new in the box for $16 and a few weeks later a Minolta brand 35-70mm zoom also new, in the box with original warranty, etc fo $35.

The rest is history. The Minolta X-700 is rugged, high quality, dependable, attractive, affordable and perfect for beginner and advanced photographer alike. It is a classic!

[Feb 11, 2008]
James
Expert

Strength:

appature range, lightweight body, easy film load and rewind, well balanced with flash in place.

lightweight body

This 35mm camera is the best that I've ever had the pleasure to operate. The settings are easy to see and understand and film loading is a breeze. What really sold me on this model over so many of the others is the range of the appature setting. So that with a tripod a the proper lens shooting any sports figure is never a problem.

The only service that this camera has required in 19 years is a yearly cleaning that I have preformed by my local camera shop for 26.50. Each time I bring the camera in the owner offers to buy it from me. but I tell him it's not for sale.

Canon AE1