Nikon 4004 35mm SLRs

Out-of-production low end SLR.

User Reviews (31)

sfpeter   Intermediate [Apr 06, 2011]
Strength:

Typical Nikon build quality, even though it's largely plastic it has a sturdy heft and feel.

Works with manual or AF-S lenses.

Built in speedlight flash (also a first).

Only needs 4 AA batteries.

3 segment metering.......well, it was notable for the time.

For a beginner camera it has a unique and unintuitive layout using a "Decision Master System" that is basically a shutter and aperture dial under a plastic cover. You can set it manually or leave it on automatic, but if you do you get no feedback what shutter speed/aperture it's using, just lighted +/- symbols in the viewfinder. Even the "On" switch has an interlock that is a little hard to figure out.

Generally sluggish autoocus performance, which was also typical for the time.

No advanced controls such as exposure compensation or priority modes.

This was I think about 1986 Nikon's first prosumer oriented autofocus camera; the original being an expensive F3 variation from 1983. It's an SLR and fairly basic, but if it's all you need then it'll get the job done.

Similar Products Used: N8008
F90
Nikon FM
william hoeveler   Expert [Dec 17, 2007]

I've had this camera for 22 years! I went digital 10 years ago and hadn't touched it since then. I picked it up last week and began to play with it and guess what? It worked perfectly - even more amazing, the battery had a good charge and it began firing immediately! I was SO astounded that I had to write this review. Completely stunned me and if it hadn't happened to me personally, I never would have believed it.

A battery holding a charge for 10+ years?? That's something.

dandan   Beginner [Apr 27, 2006]
Strength:

Price
Easy to use
Won't cry if it breaks or gets stolen

DOF Preview would be nice

Very nice camera if you keep in mind what you're getting. I got mine with a bunch of lenses I wanted for my N90s. The lenses more than made up for what I paid, so the 4004s was pretty much free. All in all, I spent $60 on it to fix the film door latch, which seemed like a mistake at the time. After putting a few rolls of film through it, I couldn't have been more wrong . I prefer to use the manual focus because the AF isn't that great, but I've got no complaints. No, it doesn't have the bells and whitles that more expensive bodies have, but for the price that doesn't matter. Its a great camera for hiting the streets or going anywhere you wouldn't want to take a more expensive camera. Its not overly tough or flashy, but if you are looking for something that'll get the job done and won't break the bank you've found it. All it needs is a little love and you'll be fine.

Similar Products Used: Nikon N90s
Pentax K1000
Pentax MX
scruples   Intermediate [Oct 08, 2004]
Strength:

Take a good crisp shot with little to no hastle.

Is a little slow when focusing on red in low light. Finding accessories is starting to get difficult. Looking for a CF-37 cover for it now.

I bought my N4004 new 22 years ago. It's been in the shop twice. Once was the plastic hinge and the other a friend rewound the film without releasing it. I take about 2000 pictures a year, mostly cheerleaders, indoor and out, daytime and night. I love my camera and wouldn't sell it for the world. I panic everytime I think about it breaking and maybe not being able to be repaired. I have 6 lens ranging from 20mm to 400mm, all Nikon. I shoot beside digtals and the other cheer parents usually purchase mine.

Similar Products Used: none
Scott Alan Johnson   Professional [Aug 06, 2003]
Strength:

Large body, well built AA bateries.

I use the Nikon f100 and if i pick up the 4004 and try to focus .. well it sure seems slow.. But it works.. The camera also is makes a bit of noise in winding, and shutter movement . the door had a plastic hitch that has busted on me once .. Got a new used door for $5

I'm thinking you looked up this camera because someone has one for sale and you want to see what others think of the Nikon n4004(f401) Well The camera is not a top level pro camera. It is a very good starter camera or even as an extra camera that works with most of my AF Nikon lenses. The camera dose what a camera dose. You set it, point and click.. For a person wanting a camera that now sells for less than $170 .. you can't go wrong with the 4004

Similar Products Used: Almost every Nikon AF camera
TerencePNT   Professional [Jul 25, 2003]
Strength:

Very simple to use, cheap, runs on rechargeable AA batteries (a big bonus), built-in flash.

None, because I have understood and accepted its limitations, given its price and year of production.

I write and shoot for a number of community newspapers here in Tokyo, and sometimes, carrying along my usual photo gear is just overkill when all I want to do is take a walk in the park or cover a not-so-important event. That's why I decided to grab a F401s at a used camera shop. It's a very simple camera, runs on AA batteries and has a built-in flash. And at such a cheap price, your heart wouldn't skip a beat if you dropped it on the pavement. What I'm saying is: it's a great camera, and if you know your photography and you know the equipment's limitations, no one could tell the difference whether the shot was taken with an F5 or a cheap F401s.

What? For a NIKON? You must be kidding.

Similar Products Used: Current own: Nikon F90XS and FM3a. Previously owned: F501, F70, F601, FM2n, FM10 and F50.
F11Bill   Professional [Mar 02, 2003]
Strength:

Price-Cheaper than a point and shoot. Great way to start off in auto focus. Knobs instead of LCD display. Built in flash. Takes AA batteries. A very solid, not plastic feel. Useful program and full manual exposures. Nikkor lenses, what more can you say! At its price, if it breaks, go out and buy another one! Price again!! What a deal for an excellant quality Nikon camera.

You already know what you are buying. Yes, there are some limitation, just keep these in mind.

Boy this camera sure takes a beating when it gets reviewed! Do people look at what a camera offers before they buy?! It does what it does very well. Back door latch breaks from time to time....it's plastic, don't slam it and now you know it can break if not used gently! Slow auto focus...yes I have used faster but it focuses faster than most people do manually. No control...have any read and used what info is in the manual or other publications?! I like the mix of old and new that it offers. No LCD screens, knobs like a manual focus. Very easy to make the transition from manual to auto. Noisey...I have heard louder. Flash not very powerful....it's a built in flash, it won't fire out to 100 feet, that's why it has a flash shoe!! Doesn't take manual focus lenses....its an auto focus, isn't that what you wanted!! Takes two fingers to release built in flash....sorry princess!!! You can pick these up dirt cheap and make some great images! Save money on body and invest in your lenses. If you do want to move up the Nikon auto focus line you will have some nice glass and a great back up body. Do your research before you buy any camera or any other product for that matter and you will be happy most of the time. I would recomend this body to anyone that wanted to try out auto focus. Just remember what you are getting and you won't be disappointed.

Not needed. Minor repairs done by myself. If major repairs are needed, toss it in the trash and buy another!

Similar Products Used: Everything from Nikkormats to F100.
Andy   Casual [Nov 13, 2002]
Strength:

I wonder if you can slap an extra servo in there and have faster autofocus... sounds a bit like Tim Allen's comedy material. The DecisionMaster computer is nifty for those new to the SLR frame, stepping up from the point-and-shoot vacation photo crowd.

A light meter index, and film speed indicator would really make the sparse viewfinder more informative for manual mode. Autofocus seems to get confused a lot. Wish it had an exposure compensator to modify the DecisionMaster's computer ruling.

I remember when this body series came out, and reading the review in Popular Photography back in the late eighties when I was in fifth grade photography club. I wanted one then, mainly because it didn't have 10,000,000 cryptic dials on it to potentially set wrong. Sure, there isn't any exposure compensation. But it's great for what it is - a knockaround little workhorse camera.

I'll have to say http://www.manualsrus.com rules. I had to get my manual digitally from there. Other than that, I'm the chief repairman on it. Thanks to photogearfinder on eBay for the replacement film door latch to revive this dormant SLR.

Similar Products Used: Early days - Kodak InstaMatic 110. Sony digital cameras, Minolta manual SLR, teeny Vivitar point and shoot that I found in the trash and revived. Shoots very well for its size.
Graeme   Expert [Jun 01, 2002]
Strength:

Good manual mode. Nikon quality, Fast and easy to use dials. Good basic exposure system. Takes AA batteries. 92% viewfinder is nice and big after the new high eyepoint stuff. Very reliable with excellent results. Fast winder 2.5FPS, but single shot only. AF is fine for everthing but action work.

No DOF, exposure compensation, auto only asa setting, slow AF with longer lenses, noisy. No info in viewfinder. Metering incompatible with all non AF lenses.

I have always under-rated this camera. I own lots of gear, including an F90X, and I have to say for the basics of picture taking it's actually very good. As a picture taking tool mine gets a lot of use.

Excellent. I bought mine broken very cheaply, just for the lenses and flash that came with it. I had the sequence plate replaced and the entire camera refurbished by the Nikon agents very reasonably.

Similar Products Used: Nikon F90X, Pentax SF7 & Z70P, Leica R3 & Leicaflex SL, Nikon FM2, OM2 etc.
flop404   Casual [Nov 06, 2001]
Strength:

Does the job well. Robust, reliable, Nikon mount, AA batteries, neither "all plastic" nor an heavyweight, unexpensive, extremely easy to use...

Since you''ve almost no control. Doesn''t meter with AI lenses. The door is a bit fragile (but the repair unexpensive). hard to sell, also.

A low-end Nikon that cannot do everything, but does well what he can do. It doesn''t offer any of the modern options you can find on modern SLRs. Think of it more as a semi-auto "à la" Nikon FE, with an AF option (and some drawbacks)