Nikon FM 35mm SLRs

Nikon FM 35mm SLRs

Released in 1977. Out-of-production.

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 08, 2013]
jamie mcatee
Professional

Strength:

It's an easy to use camera, and only a real photagrpher from the past knows how ell this camera works.......It puts the art back into taking beautiful pictures.

none

I wish all of the so called photographers using the new model camera's to just try using this FM, oh wait a minute, you may need to read the manuel it does take FILM, which is still readely available and so is the proccessing. LOVE THIS CAMERA

[Feb 15, 2011]
sfpeter
Intermediate

Strength:

If you've been able to handle one manual film camera you can pretty much do them all.

Near perfect fit and finish, light and easy on the film advance. Nikon knew what they were doing and made it to last. Even the faux leather covering is still on tight after 34 years; can't say the same about the F5.

Simple light meter, that's all. Encourages you to focus on what you're taking a picture of rather than figuring the camera out.

The A.I. tab folds back if you use a pre-A.I. lens, and it will still meter with it.

Works without batteries if it has to. Many of these older cameras that were shutter or aperture priority will lock the film advance if the battery is dead, and make someone unfamiliar think it's rusted/corroded up inside.

Film is dead, dealt with it. 35mm will still be available for years to come, but to try and pretend there's something secret about film that only the true professional still knows is silly.

Light seals are something to check on a camera of this age.

Slow 1/1000th max shutter speed, to get automatic advance requires a motor drive.

Light meter is 3 diodes, that indicate too bright, too dark, or just right. If it's partly there then it's dark and okay lit or bright and okay light. An EV scale would have been better, but I can't complain.

Needs the lever pulled out slightly to turn the meter on. That's not intuitive for new users.

It's tempting to think of the FM as the archtype Nikon, since the last manual film Nikon today is the FM10; but it's not. The FM10 isn't even made by Nikon, it's made by Cosina, and the FM mainly stood out for introducing aperture indexing (A.I.) The true archtype is the Nikon F; this is a solid, well built, old school film camera that taken care of will last for many years.

Not used for cameras this old.

Canon AE-1
Pentax MXE Super

[Aug 29, 2005]
Mark Stephan
Intermediate

Strength:

Small, light weight and easy to use. All controls are intuitive and are right where they should be. Add a motordrive and you'll use your camera and take great pictures until film is gone.

None

I purchased my Black Nikon FM body with MD-11 and 50 f1.4 in good used condition in 2001 and have used it as a back up to it's sibling, the FM2N ever since. If I could rate a camera a perfect 10 it would be the Nikon FM and its siblings. The camera is reliable, easy to use and delivers many years of photographic enjoyment. A perfect camera for the student, beginner or even a seasoned photographer looking for simplicity.

I had the camera CLA'd by an independent Nikon repair facility and the camera works as well as it did when it was new.

Own and regularly use a Nikon FM and F3HP manual focus bodies.

[Nov 04, 2004]
jasonbye
Professional

Strength:

Rugged and Reliable. Nothing electronic to fail. Will still work in the pouring rain! D*mn good lump for hitting people with!

Viewfinder could be brighter and the screen is difficult to clean unlike the later fm2 which was removable.

This was the fist pro camera I bought. Has seen me through college. Has been my favorite camera through my time at the Independent in London and still a favorite now. Simple and reliable. To see some of the images shot with this camera go to http://www.jasonbye.com Later models will flash sync at 1/250 although the shutter dial is still marked at 1/125.

Serviced by Nikon yearly

F3,F4,FM2,D1,D100

[Oct 23, 2004]
Akit67
Intermediate

Strength:

Compact Simple to use (adjust shutter speed, aperture ring and focus) Rugged Reliable

Slowish flash sync speed (1/125) Top shutter speed only 1/1000 Viewfinder does not have much eye relief

This was the first SLR I bought (after using an old Zenit which I had inherited) for myself. I have had no regrets. The camera is portable, easy to use, reliable and rugged. I find myself throwing it on the car seat or my backpack without much forethought since it's compact and not too valuable. I later bought the F3HP and while I admire the heavier build, aperture priority, mirror lock-up, and nicer viewfinder, I find I usually grab the FM when I want a camera but the expressed purpose of my trip or destination is not photography. I have looked at replacing both cameras with the new FM3A but I find the FM3A for me has neither the simplicity of the FM nor the greater feature set of the F3HP. And incidentally, I really like the match diode metering system despite the criticism it sometimes receives. Very quick and intuitive to read.

Not Applicable

FM2n F3HP

[Jun 29, 2003]
william quayle
Intermediate

Strength:

Build to last and I have had excellent results. It is also getting cheap to buy as well for the amount of quality you get

none

good product built to last won't let you down if it has an occasional service. Results are very good better than most modern cameras in fact.

good

nikon fe,minolta sr-1

[Jul 20, 2002]
Jason
Intermediate

Strength:

What can i say, it is one of the greatest cameras ever made.

none

This camera is almost perfect. It handles well, perfect weight and it just feels great in your hand. It has great metering, second only to that of a minolta which i used some time ago.

minolta and cannon

[Apr 11, 2002]
vidcon
Expert

Strength:

Sturdy, never breaks down, great lens line, nice metering system.

None.

Simply the best camera ever made. The ergonomics are perfect. Everything is where it should be. Very sturdy. A great manual camera to learn photography from. Only bested by the FM2n.

Nikon FM2n, Nikon FA, Nikon FE2.

[Oct 13, 2001]
sanjayshrimal
Beginner

Strength:

FEELING IS VERY RUGGED AND COMPACT.

TILL NOW NO PROBLEM.

HELLO,I BOUGHT NIKON FM(BLACK)WITH MD11,AI 50MM F1.4 LENS AND A SBE FLASH THREE YEARS BACK FROM AN OLD PERSON.I WAS VERY LUCKY TO GET THIS CAMERA FROM HIM BECAUSE IT WAS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION.I AM REALLY ENJOYING WORKING ON THIS COMPACT CAMERA EVER MADE BY NIKON.RECENTLY I HAVE TAKEN AIS 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 manual lens.NIKON FM IS PURELY MECHANICAL CAMERA WHICH WORKS ALMOST IN ALL CONDITIONS.METERING IS SUPERB BUT SOMEWHERE U HAVE TO STUDY THE SITUATION FINALLY I WOULD SAY IF ANYBODY GET THIS CAMERA IT WILL MOTIVATE YOU AFTER WORKING.THANKS*****

YET NOT DONE.

NIKON FM10.

[Oct 06, 2001]
Alan Johnstone
Intermediate

Strength:

Rugged, easy to use, motordrive a real bonus when dealing with chidren and motorsports.

None

The FM is the best way to get into the Nikon system. I got the body,50mmf2 lens and the 35-105f3.5-4.5 zoom lens all for 300 dollars. It lives up to its reputation.Would like to have another.

So far just needed lightseal replacement.

Pentax SpotmaticF