Nikon FM10 35mm SLRs

FM10

If you want total manual control, the FM10 is a great choice. Select shutter speed and aperture. Use manual film advance and rewind manually. The Center-weighted light meter guides you towards a great exposure, but you have options to do it on your own. You focus manually and preview depth-of-field to see the image quality and sharpness. It's 100% your choice – a great way to learn and build confidence.

User Reviews (76)

Talal   Beginner [Dec 06, 2010]

Hello, I have Nikin N65 camera..I lost the manual, I was trying to take a pic, it says ERR on the screen,,Can anyone help me,,Thanks..

Ryan Forto   Casual [Jun 16, 2009]
Strength:

sharpness of the picture and light weight

plastic body

I'm just a kid when i found photography. Now i am 13 and im using FM10 because it is a good SLR film camera... my dad bought it at 2001 and it is still good today. The sharpness of the picture is nice and it is full manual.

Similar Products Used: i also used Nikkon D40 and its nice but at FM10 u can learn real photography because its manual.
sumit   Expert [Feb 18, 2008]
Strength:

SHARP PICTURE QUALITY

PLASTIC BODY (LIGHT WEIGHT)

EXCELLENT CAMERA, SHARP PICTURE, KING IN MANUAL (DAY & NIGHT)
++++++++++++++++++++++++RATING

Randy   Professional [Dec 12, 2003]
Strength:

Fully Manual Flash and Lenses that can be used

Plastic

I just purchased my Nikon FM10. I got this camera because I wanted to go back to some real photography. I used to have a Pentax K1000 and Nikon FM2 but I got rid of the old manual bodies when I started buying new AE models. It is a nice camera that seems to be built better than most Auto SLR's of the same price range, not as solid as my older manual cameras were, but what is built as well these days. I also like the fact that my SB-80DX flash works on this body, ( Manual and Non-TTL auto only ) and some of my lenses for my N80 and D100. Great camera if you want to get back to the basics of photography.

I've never needed any, so can't answer.

Similar Products Used: Pentax K100 Canon T-50,Rebel G,Rebel X,Rebel 2000,Elan 7 Nikon FM2,N80,D100
Gabby Juanengo   Expert [Sep 24, 2003]
Strength:

Built in metering, easy to hold, lightweight , compatibility with over 100 nikkor lenses, nice finish, takes good pictures...

Shutter speed goes only to 2000..but hey thats fast enough to take alomst any kind of photo

THis is one of the greatest nikon SLR's of all time!!! its beatiful curves and easy to hold body, built in center weighted metering, and compatibility with over 100 F nikkor lenses makes it extremely versatile

Never needed customer service!!! Thats why i like nikon so much!

Similar Products Used: Nikon FM2, FM3, N60, F100
jac3k   Casual [Jul 11, 2003]
Strength:

Price. Full manual control. Number of available accessories, and lenses.

None, I am happy with it!

My older brothers are responsible for igniting the “photographic gene” in me. It started over 15 years ago with a fully manual Russian Cmena. You had to set everything on it. Aperture, shutter, ISO, and even the focus was set by estimation of the distance. Then I upgraded to Zenit 12xp. I was taking some beautiful pictures with that camera. I sold it couple of years later in lieu of my move overseas to USA. Here I used mostly point-and-shoot cameras, until about December of 2000 when I had a bright idea of going digital. I bought Sony DSC-F505v, and it was a fine camera, but... I missed the excitement of being the one responsible for the picture, instead of some computer chip. I looked hard and long, first I wanted to get N80, but due to the lack of funds, I bought FM10. And let me tell you, this camera is everything I might, or will need until I get back on track with my picture taking. At first I wasn’t sure, because of some of the reviews in this forum, but then if you look on the “similar items used”, it is easy to see why people get to “trash” this camera. Sometimes it appears that people are waging “brand“ wars, instead of giving a fully objective reviews. Of course that’s not everybody, there are some people that give honest opinions about FM10, and to those I am grateful. Let me just tell you this much, if you want to just point your camera and press the shutter release button, move on, spend some more money and be happy. If you want to have a several hundred dollars “pendant” on your neck for everybody to admire, while you walking around the theme park, please move on. But... if you want to take back the control of your pictures, and enjoy this so rewarding hobby, go ahead, buy Nikon FM10. I guarantee you will enjoy it.

Not really a reason to by the product by the rating of the customer service. In my humble opinion.

Similar Products Used: Zenit 12xp, Sony DSC-F505v, Nikon Point-and-shoot.
Brent   Expert [Dec 03, 2002]
Strength:

Everything

dim viewfinder

I am quite happy with this camera. After using a very expensive automatic minolta camera, I found that the FM10 just takes better pictures, and you really get a feel because it's all manual. Sure, the viewfinder is a little dark, but there really isn't anything wrong with it.

Similar Products Used: Hoya and quantaray filters, Vivitar 75-300 telephoto, Vivitar 49mm Macro, Zenitar Fish-Eye,
bc925   Casual [Nov 21, 2002]
Strength:

• compatible with most lenses • very good weight for long hand-held exposures • very minimal camera shake • B setting (use a tripod and cable release) • Easily remove film keeping tab out of the canister • accurately insert film and start at the middle of the roll • you buy the body with a standard Nikkor 35-70mm lens • DOF button

• need time to focus • simple light meter (which could be a strength as well)

The Nikon FM10 was the first SLR camera I bought. Point and shoots were quite satisfactory for me up until the time I decided to take phototgraphy more seriously. I also own a Nikon F65 (N65 if you purchase it in the US). The F65 is great, especially when I take wedding pictures of my friends and relatives. But if I have the luxury of taking the time to focus and compose my shots, I will not hesitate to use the FM10. Sure, it has a dim viewfinder. The buttons are plastic. But if they work well, why complain? The plain and simple truth is that I take better pictures with my FM10 than my F65. I have total control and I immediately know precisely what I did wrong. Bracketing is so easy. The FM10 can easily use manual and autofocus lenses. I use the B setting a lot so a tripod and cable release is essential. The beauty of the FM10 is that it can work without batteries. The batteries are used only for the built-in light meter. I've been using this camera for the past 7 years and up til now, I haven't changed batteries yet. And I've taken a whole lot of pictures already. The weight is just right. It's heavy enough to take long exposures handheld. Camera shake when the shutter is released is minimal. If you use the timer, the mirror flips up right away, so when the exposure is taken, even more of the camera shake is eliminated. You can even set the timer to go off in as short as 3 seconds. I really don't care what other people say, whether they are amateurs, intermediate ore professional photographers. I love this camera. And I would highly recommend it to photographers of any level.

Local authorized service center

Similar Products Used: Nikon F65, Nikon F3, Minolta 505, Canon AE1
Jeremy   Casual [Oct 02, 2002]
Strength:

-Price! -Nikon lens compatibility -Metal lens mount. Cool! My Rebel 2000's is plastic! -DOF preview -Infinite multiple exposures -Mechanical shutter -Manual operation -Metal insides -Simple, easy to use, all functions are readily accessible.

-Piddly light meter. I wish it said how far off you are. -Kinda cheap looking plasic buttons. Can't be that bad, though. My whole Rebel 2000 is made of plastic and it's just fine. -Not as solid as FM3a. That one is my fav, but at $700 it's out of my range. -Using a flash with it would take some time to learn, but would be very rewarding, I'd bet.

I've been on the lookout for a nice manual camera to take long exposures with. I wore out my batteries in my Canon Rebel 2000 making star trails last time, and CR2's are expensive. And, more seriously, I'm getting to feel I can't trust the focusing on my lenses, especially when I want to focus on infinity. That and the basic 28-80 Canon lens is crap. It has lead me to consider manual focus cameras, which brings me to the FM-10. I haven't actually bought the camera yet, but I work at a camera store and have plenty of time to play with it. The buttons and switches may all be plastic, but the body feels like it can handle the worst of what I'd be able to throw at it. I've also looked at used cameras, some of which cost about the same, and don't include lenses. Whereas on this one there's a lens included. It's also a Nikon, so even new Nikon lenses will work with it. I'm even beginning to consider the possibility of defecting from Canon to Nikon for this very reason. That and maybe the ribbing I get at work for being the only Canon user ;-) Just kidding! Seriously, I think the strengths of the Nikon system are beginning to rub off on me, though. Accuracy of the meter, sharpness of the lens and stuff like that have not been determined. Maybe I'll run some film through the thing at work, see how it does. Otherwise, I think this one will be the winner.

Good question...

Similar Products Used: Canon Rebel 2000. An old Vivitar manual with a thread mount. Basic Vivitar point-and-shoot.
Arjuno Solo   Beginner [Aug 12, 2002]
Strength:

Metal not a plastic ! If anybody said a plastic, I am sure not a "made in japan". No batteries ...independent use.

No flash kit.

The good camera for beginner and want be a profesional photograper. User can`t switch to auto mode. You can create the art original from your hand.