Nikon N2000 35mm SLRs

Nikon N2000 35mm SLRs

Out-of-production 35mm SLR body.

USER REVIEWS

[Mar 12, 2017]
Paul C
Expert

Strength:

It's the Nikon Bargain of the moment !!! Better by far than the FG, FG20 and EM models that preceeded it - and none of the ligtweight sticky rubber coated Nikon camera body nonsense that followed it.
[1] far more reliable than its predecessors (the famous FG electrical problems and the Nikon EM rusty aperture coupling "jittery needle" syndrome should make you bid in fear for those models)
[2] excellent metering system - never fails with negative film and exposure lock for highlight exposing for slide film.
[3] beautiful finish - the last amateur Nikon camera with a rigid metal chassis (with the F501/N2020 AF version) and "leatherette" covering. After this is was all creaking plastic and the awful "sticky rubber" degradation of the F50-100 models that makes them such unattractive secondhand buys nowadays. Takes a heavy 200mm F2.8 without a flex or creak !
[4] runs on cheap AAA batteries
[5] No huge right hand grip - hich means that fits a traditional leather "eveready case" - which also quietens the integral 2.5 FPS motordrive.
[6] TTL matrix flash - working with a whole range of now inexpensive Nikon SB flashgun models for the perfect daytime fill in lighting
[7] True exposure correction dial - not just the crude "backlight correction" button of the FGs and EM models.
8] shutter speeds down to 30 seconds on auto/programme
[8] great viewfinder - both for focusing and the built in LED displays

No mirrror lock up - so use self timer for long exposure images
No Depth of Field button

So you want to shoot film and make use of all those wonderful Nikon (or Nikon Fit) lenses that you have.....but the old Nikons on Ebay are either hard worked worn ex-professional models (F2-F6) or are dusty and dented amateur Nikkormats, FEs, FGs or EMs - or, god forbid - the "ergonomic" plastic models that followed with the huge right hand grips and insoluble "sticky rubber disease" which makes the aesthetics of holding the camera a misery and for which Nikon has no known cure.

Soon E-bay will wake up to this model - until then enjoy! Sellers are offloading these all the time - selling off the Nikon 50mm E F1.8 lenses that came with them when they were sold and then looking to "dump" the unwanted camera bodies.

The AF version - the Nikon F501 (USA N2020) is also cute - it has the same bright viewfinder but has cute focus assist lights to help you when you have a true manual lens. You can also change the focus screen!

I have a range of Nikons from 1970s full manual to ergonomic sticky rubber microchip wizards.

[Nov 13, 2016]
D Thomas
Intermediate

Strength:

Robust and easy to use. Excellent motor drive. My battery lasted 5 years. No issues in sub zero temps or baking hot climate. Lovely view finder and light meter.

none other than dead without battery.

This camera taught me about photography. If you want to be in complete control...you can. If you want a bit of auto...you can. If you want full auto...you can. I love this camera. I have 4 and use them all. Nikon had to get this one right as it was internal motor drive, they did. Don't hesitate to buy one, they go for less than £20.00 on ebay and that is staggering.

Nikon fm3s, Fm2, FE

[Jul 07, 2015]
Oliver
Casual

Strength:

Cheap to buy nowadays
Almost spot on metering (if you're careful)
Auto wind on
Fantastic classic shutter sound!
Takes common batteries
Accepts a wide range of lenses

No depth of field preview
Manual film rewind

I bought this camera from a car boot sale a couple of years ago for £25, including a nice old Nikon zoom lens. For a camera made in the mid 80s I think this is quite advanced - automatic wind on, DX coding recognition, program modes. Other features such as manual focus leave it in the 80s though - although this isn't necessarily a bad feature as it makes you think more about focus. However, don't expect shooting sport to be easy - i use this camera for slide film for landscapes and family photos. This is helped by the metering being reliable and unlike some other older slrs that i have, you dont need to fiddle with ISO settings in order to get the right exposures out of it! Bear in mind that it doesn't have fancy matrix or spot modes though so be prepared to use your head a bit. Overall though, I don't think you can go wrong with this camera for the price you can pick one up for as it has not let me down yet - perfect to get back into photography the proper way, with film!

I own several Nikon 35mm cameras including the F401, F801 and F80 and Pentax MX and ME Super!

[May 09, 2009]
MULBERRRYSTBUTCH
Intermediate

Strength:

Easy to learn ...you really just have to put the dail on A automatic and focus and hit the shutter release button! Everything other owners say is correct.

No automatic rewind but that isn't a problem...old school camera.

Was given this camera nikon n2000 as a christmas gift xmas 1985. Really owes me nothing...got my monies worth thru d years. Experiencing a bit of trouble now shutter advance is sometimes very slow and because of that the picture doesn't come out. It most likely time to bring it to the shop for repairs. Because of the quality of the pictures and the pleasure I've recieved from the camera... I just bought the same model thru ebay.. I'm now experiencing some of the same problem, switched the battery houseing from one to the other! Time will tell. The camera makes you look and feel like a pro! I been asked that already.

Once paid 100 dollars because batteries leaked into the housing and had no power. Remove batteries if product isn't in use! I learned the hard way!

[Jun 06, 2008]
Eric
Intermediate

Strength:

Durable. Made in Japan. The right lens allows this lens to do just about what any other old Nikon SLR does.
Mine has been knocked around and has NEVER given any trouble.

No AF. Mine didn't have a data back.

Received new for Christmas in 1986. Loaded with fearures but no autofocus. Built in power winder provides just over 3 fps. One of the first to support DX coded film, speeds up to 1/2000, exposure compensation, program and manual modes.
Accepts AA or AAA batteries! And lasts a very long time on them.
Never gave me trouble.

Never called them.

Pentax K1000, new Nikon D60

[Sep 12, 2007]
Televiser
Intermediate

Strength:

price, speed
lightmeter
body design
cheap battery source

tripod connection is way over on the left hand side
no aperture view in finder
no DOF preview
no multi-exposure
10 sec self-timer

Nikon cameras have always impressed me regarding their design and innovations. I purchased this N2000, or F301 (first manufactured in 1985), with a standard Nikon Lens Series E 50mm 1:1:8 nearly eight years ago and it has continued to serve me well. The focus, color, speed, and lightmeter are excellent. It takes high quailty shots. But I hate the location of the tripod connection. This was my first manual SLR with auto film winding, of which I am a fan. In my use, the film has never wound incorrectly. I continue to use this model as my walk-around manual camera and highly recommend it to those looking for a reliable and inexpensive SLR.

Never needed repair or servicing. But it is an older camera and replacement parts are most likely expensive.

F80
FM2

[Nov 10, 2006]
dennis mong
Intermediate

Strength:

Durable
Uses inexpensive alkaline batteries
Easy loading
Comfortable to hold
Dependable

Has no dof preview feature
Has no mirror lock-up

I missed these features at first but found that I miss them less all the time.

After having owned nearly every model Nikon from F2 Photomic through FE not to mention several RF's [ond one terrible plastic n55] I've landed on the N2000 and it has served me well for 12 years with no problems whatever. It is much tougher than I expected and has bellss and whistles, program modes etc. that I've never used...I use it strictly in manual mode. The only auto features I take advantage of are auto adbvance [singly or continuous] and auto dx reading.
It takes all of my Nikkor lenses.and provides shutter speeds from B through 2000.
It lacks some of the features of the old Nikon bodies but serves me very well. I've considered buying another n2000. Great little camera. There is absolutely no difference in images I've taken with this 2000 and imagesI've taken with my other Nikon's. Of course there wouldn't be because I'm using the same ai lenses.
Today I carry only the N2000 and an old 1972 Canon rangefinder that is too small to leave home alone.
I recommend the n2000!

minolta

[May 16, 2006]
jcp123
Casual

Strength:

Takes film!, durable, reliable, excellent quality both of the camera itself and the photos it takes, is even good looking

Not the most beginner-friendly, takes some practice to work it properly, question mark about parts availability

My parents bought this camera in the year of my birth, 1985, when it first came out. They took it on many trips to Europe and captured most of our photographic memories on this machine. Then, this little gem was bequeathed to me after I wanted another REAL camera, a 35mm. I'm not very high on the most modern technology, digital "cameras" among them, so it was a joy to again get a 35mm in my hands.

As just a casual photographer, the number of options, switches, and dials on the camera was a little bit bewildering, especially now lacking the manual, but having practiced with it a little, it is very pleasant to use. The quality of the shots is beyond reproach even today.

The camera's quality is also exceptional. Although made of plastic - one of my least favorite materials for anything - it has proven itself immensely durable. As previously mentioned, it traveled well, and took thousands of pictures, and then subsequently sat for 10 years before I picked it up. Aside from some corrosion on the battery terminals which I cleaned off with my own homebrew cleaning solution, it fired right up and still takes beautiful pictures. It also has a nice heft to it, helping to keep it steady and imparting a solid, quality feel to the camera.

Not needed

[Mar 08, 2005]
titrisol
Expert

Strength:

Speed,viewfinder, lightmeter

No DOF, No multiple exposures Remote release is hard to find/expensive

Very good camera, bought it to replace an stolen FE2 in 1991. Takes AI/AIS lenses, giving P capabilitities with the latter. I have run huundreds of rolls through it and the metering is alwaya accurate. easy to handhold for exposures of 1/15 or so. Tough to replace with any of the new breed.

Not neede

several Nikons, Pentaxes, etc`

[Oct 08, 2004]
AdamT
Professional

Strength:

Cheap, fast, plenty of functions, cheap battery source, long shutter speeds in A mode, DX coding and it would seem, TTL flash too!. good viewscreen, it would seem to be reliable from the reports here and the fact that it`s survived this long.

Plastic top panel which doesn`t look too strong, can`t be used without power at all, Self Timer is fixed at 10 secs or so, no DOF Preview lever, Aperture can`t be seen in the viewfinder, 2000th max shutter speed, 125th X-Sync

I was given the F301 by a friend who was going to throw it out as I have an FM2 and manual lenses and I have to be honest and say that I`m impressed with the thing!.. built in drive (forward only) which I clocked at 3FPS and runs off cheap AA batteries (Hooray!), seemedly accurate metering, very handy AV mode which can hold the shutter open for a LOT longer than the 1 sec manual offers - I don`t know what "P" mode is all about as the camera doesn`t have shutter priority capability (where you lock the aperture at the smallest and the camera keeps it open and chooses in P or S mode) so it`s nothing like "P" mode on an F80 or the like.. seems tough bar the top panel (which has a crack in it on this example). Decent non-removable viewscreen but no aperture window in the viewfinder, it even has a handy rotating window in the back to see if you`re winding real film or thin air!. and of course a window to show the film (the FM2 doesn`t have this) - a well featured camera which still FEELs and operates like a classic SLR unlike later AF SLRs like the F80, F90 and my own EOS-, all of which are more like Digital SLRs which happen to take film ..

Who knows, I doubt they`d want to service this now.

Nikon FM, FM2, F3, F80, F90 - Canon EOS-10, EOS-1, Pentax K1000, Spotmatic.