Olympus OM-2 35mm SLRs

OM-2

Out-of-production SLR produced in three different model-versions between 1979 and 1988.

User Reviews (26)

ditto1958   Intermediate [Jan 20, 2005]
Strength:

Built like a work of art compared to today's plastic cameras. Feels solid and substantial, yet is still compact and lightweight for a full-featured camera. Zuiko lenses are also small and lightweight, while still built well. It is possible to have an entire range of lenses that take a 49mm filter.

Flash shoe (the one that came with the OM-2 is not cracked; however, I have others that are).

Back in 1982 I got an OM-10 for Christmas. (Couldn't afford an OM-1 or OM-2). I have an OM-1, and OM-1n and just recently acquired my OM-2n. While my OM-10 served me well over the years (I still have it--still going strong), I am extremely impressed by the beauty and quality of the OM-1 and OM-2's. Takes sharp pictures. Sound of shutter is amazing.

Never had to have one serviced. Word is that Camtech is the best, though.

Similar Products Used: OM-1n OM-10
Alex D   Intermediate [Mar 09, 2004]
Strength:

Obviously its ruggedness, small size, well laid out and easy to operate controls. The by today's standards still wonderful metering system of the OM-2. Vast amount of OM system lenses and accessories. THE OM-1 and OM-2 are timeless classics and made to be used, though many are now vanishing into collectors hands. Buy one today, you will not lose a penny since they are constantly appreciating in value. A mint, original OM-2n will today sell for twice the money it cost new back in the 70s. Value in ascending order: OM-1 < OM-1n < OM-2 < OM-2n with the OM-2n commanding the highest prices by a distance form the OM-2 (Don't ask about pricing for the OM-3 or 3t(i). They are almost all collectors items and way overpriced for genral use. Even OM4t(i)s are out there. OM-4s can be picked up reasonably)

GENERAL: Olympus abandoned the OM series completely in 2002. No more support here. Good Zuiko lenses are getting more expensive every day, just look at eBay and so are good OM bodies. But with the vent of eBay, all these items are available without having to hunt flea markets. CAMERA: Worse than the light seal foam is that the prism foam degrades on almost all OMs today (they are 20+ years old!!) and in doing that it will damage the prism silvering. GET YOURS REMOVED BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE! DAMAGED PRISMS CAN'T BE FIXED! The Hot shoes will crack or break eventually and intact replacements are scarce and very, very expensive to the tune that many sellers now rip the shoe of the camera and sell it individually. Flash sync at 1/60 sec is outdated and too slow for anything, as it was back then. But hey, that's all a vertical cutain shutter camera can do. Today's horizontal metal shutter cameras are much better, even my plastic Yashica FX-3 2000 syncs at 1/125 sec. Good condition lenses cost a pretty penny. WHEW !!

These are the cameras I was longing for when I was in high school in the mid-70s. How often did I press my nose flat on the camera shop windows. But in those days all my money would buy was a Praktica LTL and a year later a Yashica FR II (Still havea Yashica FX-3 2000 today). After all these years and because of my wife starting a photography class, I picked up a couple of OMs on eBay. An OM-2 and an OM-2n. The OM-2(n) is often misunderstood as an electronic version of the OM-1, but that is not true. The OM-2 cameras are so much more than an OM-1. TTL/OTF metering is only available on the OM-2 and the famous TTL/OTF flash support of the T series flashes. Still to this day the OM metering system, especially the later even more advanced versions in the OM-3,4,3t(i),4t(i) cameras, were the pacesetters for all modern metering systems. The only camera of its days that may have surpassed the OM-2 metering was the Pentax LX, which copied and furthered the TTL/OTF system. What 30 years ago and today attracts me to the OM cameras is their absolute beauty, solidity and functionality combined in one of the most compact SLR bodies ever sold. OM-1s and OM-2s are going strong and even after all these years are still serviceable for a reasonable amount by a number of expert shops. parts for these cameras are still plentiful and the camera itself is extremly rugged and will aslt if taken care of.

Olympus abandoned service and support, but there are a number of extremly capable OM repair shops around. Original OM parts from Olympus are getting very expensive.

Similar Products Used: Yashica FR II, Praktica LTL, Yashica FX-3 2000, Nikon D70
demperor256   Casual [Aug 08, 2003]
Strength:

Exposure Comphensation knob is easier to understand than the OM-1. High quality contruction (Yeah! Made in Japan). And overall performance and quality that can rival many SLR cameras today.

If my hotshoe broke (which it could easily), it would be very expensive to replace. Light seal around the camera back is falling apart after so many years, but I guess it would happen anyways.

Discovered this Olympus OM2 (original version) in my dad's storage. Originally he thought he damaged the camera (before I was even born!) and tried to get it repaired, but the idiot repairman couldn't fix it. After 18 or 19 years of storage and untouched it has been rediscovered by me. It seemed to be in perfect condition, but couldn't unlock the mirror. When I found the manual online, I read through it and in the end discovered that the main reason why my dad thought it broke and why the mirror wouldn't unlock was simiply that the battery died and the camera will automatically lock the mirror and all functions (except in B mode). After replacing the battery with a 2L76 Silver-Oxide battery (the exposure meter doesn't read accuratly with any other battery) this camera has performed very well with all the pictures I taken. My camera is equiped with a Zuiko f.1.4 50mm lense with a Skylight 1B filter. Very nice combo, for outdoor photograpy. Have to admit that this camera might be old, but it still amazes me with it's quality and flexibility. I will always appericiate and cherish this camera for as long as it lives.

Similar Products Used: Canon Rebel 2000 Various Nikon, Canon point and shoot cameras. Various Olympus Digital D-Series cameras.
Roy Talbot   Professional [Mar 20, 2003]
Strength:

Smallest, strongest, light weight, full featured 35mm. Full TTL with lens and 310 auto flash. Lens that I carry with the OM2 and OM1 are interchangable and so is the 49mm filter. Shutter in auto mode takes near perfect pictures. Has manual over ride that I use when needed. Motor drive works without fail, very important in weddings.

My hot shoe never broke or cracked but I know that this is a problem.

This was the 2nd OM2 to arrive in the USA. Mine was on back order for months. Never had a problem with the camera. Shoot weddings most of the time. Like the clean lines and light weight and solid feel. All my lens take the same 49mm filter. I have an OM1 as a back up camera and it has never failed me either.

Olympus was great while the camera was under warranty. Never had to send it in but the support was wonderful. Never had to have my cameras repaired but I hear that Camtech is the best.

Similar Products Used: My OM1 My Fathers 3 Nikons
andres esteban   Intermediate [Feb 16, 2003]
Strength:

otf metering on auto. economical silver oxide batteries. great choice of zuiko lenses. asa dial with bracketing function, compact classy design, interchangable focus screen. bullet proof.

I really can't think of anything other than the accessory hotshoe and shutter dependant on batteries. nit picking really

electronic shutter version of om-1. added bonus of off the film exposure on auto. looks and feels just like an om1 and accepts all the om system accessories and zuiko lenses. If you take care of an om2 it will take care of you.

Similar Products Used: om1 om20
g1a   Expert [Dec 06, 2002]
Strength:

Style, design, classy looks, stunning record of reliablilty, outstanding quality of manufacture.

Beats me.

Both my OM-1 purchased in 1977 and my OM-2 purchased years later are truly outstanding cameras. They have survived all the things one would never do to a camera. I have never experienced a failure or let-down. My OM-1 has traveled the world and survived even military combat service. My OM-1 saved my life in a third world country in 1979 when I told an armed bandit that my black-bodied beauty was actually a spy gun. He believed me and ran away. After 20+ years the pictures are still just as sharp and clear as the first I ever took, which I still have.

Never needed any. Just keep it clean 'n clickin'.

Similar Products Used: Canon, Leica, Minolta, Nikon.
Chris   Expert [Oct 17, 2002]
Strength:

Rugged, great variety of lenses still available, not fiddly, reliable. Interchangeable focussing screens.

Hot shoe system, bolt on winder/motordrive.

I bought into the OM system back in '76 with an OM1, and have never looked back since. I've used various Nikons, Pentax and Canon cameras, but have never once been let down by any Olympus I have ever owned, and have always gone back to them. I bought this OM2 body to replace one which I dropped into Lake Windermere - now that's unrepairable! Other than that, I've dropped them, exposed them to rain and snow, dust and mud and have never been failed by them.

I have mine serviced, at very long intervals, at Jessops in Islington.

Similar Products Used: Nikon F series, Canon EOS, Pentax. OM1, 2, 3, 4.
capel   Expert [Sep 03, 2002]
Strength:

Extremely, light and compact (as compared to the F1 Canon or other period cameras. Very quiet shutter and easily reached controls. Accepting all OM system components gives it great flexibility.

Having to remember to go to B setting when camera locks because of low battery. No other significant weaknesses.

I already had a black OM2(n)with an OM10 as my backup. I was (and still am) extremely happy with its performance. I purchased the black OM2SP primarilly because of the program function. Combined with a Winder 2, a Metz 45CT-4 and a variety of Zuiko, Vivitar Series 1 and Tamron lenses, they make for a formidable arsenal when taking on any photographic challenges.

Privately serviced by qualified terch.

Similar Products Used: Canon AE1 Program; Canon FE, Nikon F80 AF
Philip Canard   Expert [Jan 20, 2002]
Strength:

Small, light, quiet, dependable, precise, rugged, bright viewfinder, tremendous range of accessories, compact and sharp Zuiko lenses, decent price on used market.

1/60 fastest flash sync, confusing flash system when choosing components (see above), no longer supported by Olympus America, 1/1000 fastest shutter speed in manual, although slightly faster in auto mode.

This camera is basically an OM-1 that has been upgraded with aperture preferred semi-auto operation and TTL flash capability. The OM-1 and OM-1n are almost the same camera, but there are several operational differences between the OM-2 and OM-2n. The first and largest difference is how flash hookup is handled. The OM-2 will use shoe 2 or shoe 3 depending on if you use a Quick Auto 310 or T series flash, respectively. The OM-2n will always use shoe 4 and a T series flash and it gives TTL capability. The OM-2 uses TTL connector 3, and the OM-2n uses TTL connector 4 for hooking up T series flashes off camera. Bounce grip 1 is used with shoe 2 & Remote Sensor (no TTL capability)and Quick Auto Flash 310 for normal auto function (this also works on your OM-1 with shoe 1). Bounce Grip 1 is also used with shoe 2 and TTL Auto Cord 0.6m and Quick Auto Flash 310 if you want TTL operation. For a T series flash, you use TTL connector 3 and a TTL Auto Cord T and Bounce Grip 2. So, there are 3 ways to hook up a OM-2 for general flash photography with bounce grips, and 2 of them will give you TTL operation. Try to go with the T series flash setup. The OM-2n will use TTL connector 4 and TTL Auto Cord T with Bounce Grip 2. You need only change to TTL connector 3 to use on the older OM-2. ARE WE CONFUSED YET? If you buy an Olympus flash, be sure to stick with the T series (which includes several excellent macro flash systems) and buy shoe 3 for your old OM-2. The OM-2n will use T series flashes exclusively. Or you can do like me and buy a Sunpak 444D that you can dedicate to several brands of cameras and stick some change in your pocket. The Sunpak 383 Super works beautifully also as you can do bounce flash in normal auto with the flash directly on hot shoe 2, 3, or 4. The same goes for the 444D with the standard module fitted, but you will probably want the OT-1D Dedicated Module for TTL auto flash. EXT 10 Dedicated Cord is for use with the 444D and it will work with either the standard module (normal auto) or dedicated sensor modules (TTL auto) on all supported brands. The Vivitar 283/285 can be used off camera in normal auto mode with all 3 shoes when you buy the remote sensor cord (no TTL mode). The OM-2 will finish a photo with insufficient flash by holding the shutter open until sufficient light is received. The OM-2n will go ahead and close the shutter to conserve batte

Never bought a new Olympus and never used Olympus Service, always sent my used Olympus cameras to Camtech and am pleased so far.