Pentax ZX-7 / MZ-7 35mm SLRs

ZX-7 / MZ-7

Featuring the innovative “Auto Picture Mode,” the Pentax ZX-7 is so smart that if completely frees you from complicated exposure control! It will automatically select one of five Picture Modes: landscape, close-up, action, portrait or standard program based on your subjects’ distance, lens focal length and movement, and tells you about its decision via the illuminated mode dial and the viewfinder indication.

User Reviews (56)

stemked   Expert [Mar 31, 2005]
Strength:

IR Weight

No depth of View

A great travel camera. light weight, dependable. I especially like the remote IR, I use it for self photography and when I use really long lenses when I want to minimize camera shake. The limitations lack of a spotmeter and depth of view preview were placed on the ZX-6

NA

Similar Products Used: Numerous 35mm cameras, primarily Pentax and Nikon.
tadgreg   Intermediate [Sep 14, 2004]
Strength:

Intuitive for a old manual Pentax SLR user; controls are where they should be; on th RH side (sorry if you're a Leftie!) Had the Pentax 'feel' even if I've come from a Spotmatic F II. Total confidence.. it's a Pentax! I never thought I'd go this far after SPII. Great Camera the MZ7; great to still be with Pentax.

It won't allow me to shoot outside light parameters; shutter locks. Maybe I havn't learned to override the clever beast?

Pentax MX7

Not required any

Similar Products Used: Canon EOS 300
Chief Brody   Beginner [Sep 30, 2003]
Strength:

Ease of use. Auto setting Manual setting. Exposure control. Panoramic function.

Feels a bit plastic-y. Hunts a bit (but not that much!)

I absolutely love my new camera! I got it relatively cheaply by pouncing on it on ebay and it hasnt disappointed. For the lazy, the camera is a dream! Auto-picture mode and the mode dial enable you to let the camera do all the work. The manual setting lets you do all the work and it took me very little time to work out the controls and i'm already experimenting and having fun rather than having trouble so THUMBS UP!!! I cant wait to get to some really beautiful setting setup the tripod and shoot away. I love my MZ-7...oh then name MZ-7 is incredibly cool...

Not used

Similar Products Used: None
Kevin   Intermediate [Aug 29, 2003]
Strength:

Almost 3fps I believe? Super fast focusing lightweight and very comfortable to hold Great lenses available Feels fairly solid - metal lense mount Illuminated dial

Cant really say it has many weaknesses but the following comes to mind: Focusing in dimly lit situations Although it feels fairly solid, there is a lot of plastic on this thing. Not sure if it's just me - but this camera seems somewhat difficult to clean inside.....hard to reach areas.

Purchased for just over $400 CDN w/28-80 and accessories including Haze filter and bag. Very surprising little camera that acts a lot bigger than it is. It also acts a lot more expensive. A fantastic value for the features you get. Many will love the fully automatic 'watch it do it's thing' operation but you can take charge if you so desire and change aperture etc. and focus manually. A great one to learn on as it tells you what it's doing at all times in automatic mode. Just watch and learn...then take what it showed you and apply. Mind you, it's pretty hard to out smart the MZ-7 - let it do its thing and you will get outstanding pictures every time. The only issue I have is auto focusing in dimly lit situations...it seems to search a fair bit. Other than that this is a fantastic value that would cost a lot more if it didn't say Pentax on the front.

No need as of yet...

Similar Products Used: Canon Eos Elan Pentax, Ricoh
Bruce   Intermediate [Apr 22, 2003]
Strength:

The consecutive drive is extremely fast for a camera of this class. I believe it can shoot almost 3fps. Also, the panoramic view is an awesome feature which isn't available on any other cameras in its class. The body is very light and compact

in low light situations the camera tends to be very slow to focus on the subject and the shutter doesn't always release very quickly, its probably best to use the manual function when lighting isn't sufficient

I bought the Pentax zx-7 around 3 years ago now and it is an absolute jewel. It takes exceptional pictures and has an array of features that are usually not available for SLR cameras in this price range. I use it pretty often, shooting around 30 rolls/ per week and it has never let me down. The body is made mostly of stainless steel and is extremely durable. The quality of the pictures are absolutely exceptional. I'm a bit of a novice, but many of my shots look very professional. Further the camera is easy to use and gives one the option of using an array of automatic shooting functions.

steamroll9   Intermediate [Mar 22, 2003]
Strength:

PANORAMIC!!!! illuminated dial and screen aluminum lens ring priority memory optional remote(can be bought from pentax, i got it!) nice strap w/ pocket for remote lighter than competition ease of use auto mode can't go wrong extended warranty is top notch!

battery time is weird(i take this camera out during the day to take most shots, at night i have a small 35mm, so i hardly use the flash so i get amzing battery time, but when flash is used that time shoots downs, also if you don't use it that often, that battery gets funky, don't go by the battery meter, take a couple of pics and see if it goes out, use it til it's dead, u'll be suprised!) auto focus can be funky(it might need to be adjusted) remote distance sux, either that or u need to change battery often

Ihave had this camera since May, 2000, and i must say that it is outstanding!!!! If i had to guess i would say that i've taken about 50 or so rolls and it's still amazing! I opted for the extended warranty when i purchased it and recently found out that i'm entiteled to a free check-up. they retune the camera, blowit out, and make all necesary adjustments, for free, all u have to do is pay for shipping there. I'm actually goin to send it out this weeek, seeing as how it's been to italy, greece, and colorado, and i'v had it for half of the term of the warranty, so off it goes. The one feature on the camera that blows the Cannon EosRebel out of the water is the panoramic fuction. i have not found another SLR that does this. Also the illumintaed screen and switch are clutch! I go on tours of Europe and most people have the cannon Rebel, one they got a feel of how much lighter and balanced and more functional mine was compared to them, they started crying that they paid more for their Rebels, HA!!! I say!! my mother still has her pentax circa 1973 and it takes outstanding pictures!!! I've taken it all over a 2 week trip of italy and we went everywhere. i took about 18 rolls in 2 weeks! and all of them came out crisp, coorful, bright, and amazing!!! I like to play around in manual, but when ur in venice, rome, florence, and capri for 2 days, u have no time to play around, any moron could use it. So what im trying to say is, buy this camera ;)!!

emailed once w. a question and responded promptly.

Similar Products Used: manual pentax and konica
Brian   Intermediate [Jan 16, 2003]
Strength:

Available at a very affordable price Versatile -- point and shoot or set up the exposure yourself Multi-element light metering works well under most conditions Overall design and ergonomics are excellent

Note: When you consider the $, these probably aren't weaknesses: ... No spot-metering option ... No continuous autofocus ... No exposure auto-bracketing ... No depth-of-field preview ... Not as many lens options available as Nikon.

I have found this to be an excellent camera. Now that I've learned more about sports photography, I would want one with more features (for example, continuous autofocus for moving subjects). However, for the money, I don't think you can beat this one! My wife uses it in point and shoot mode, but I like to do things like shutter-priority, no-flash, etc. And it's easy to do both with this versatile camera. I have taken a lot of shots in fairly dim gyms with ISO 1600 film, a 135mm/f2.8 lens, and the results are excellent. With a 50mm/f1.4 lens, this camera is a delight. I also have the cheap 28-80 that came with the camera, but since it only goes "down" to f3.5 at 28mm and f5.6 at 80mm, I haven't used it much. Nevertheless, I took some excellent photographs with it on the pacific coast! I've also used it with great success with my lone Sigma lens, a 28mm/f.8. The autofocus is fast with all my lenses. If you are a beginner who wants some room to grow while learning, this is an excellent choice! If you're an expert, why are you reading this

Not Required by me.

Similar Products Used: Nikon Auto's Canon Auto's Manual Pentax
Empirecity1   Intermediate [Sep 02, 2002]
Strength:

Great value Ease of use Fast (2fps) film advance Good optics Great size, weight makes comfortable for the user.

Low light focusing can cause lense to hunt a little too much Case made of plastic.

Probably the best camera a beginner could buy because it provides both manual and automatic functions. Play around with it in manual when you have lots of time to shoot, and in Auto Picture mode when you want to camera to make the split-second judgements. Mine came with the 28-80, and I recently included the 80-320 to my bag. Have shot a few pictures that are beautiful with this camera, no complaints. However, as I am getting past the beginner stage of photography, terms like depth of field preview, lock-up mirror and aluminum-alloy die case body are leading me to consider something a little higher end. All that said, my MZ-7 is a durable SLR that takes great pictures for a fraction of the cost of other cameras.

None at all

depaclan   Casual [Aug 27, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight, easy to use,

The shutter sticks, auto flash doesn't work. I took it to Pentax warranty center and they are going to have it for 2 months. Very disappointed in this. Missed my 2 sons birthdays, and our family vacation.

This is a very nice camera with excellent features for beginners. The warranty department in Utah is a joke. They will have my camera for 2 months to fix it. I give this camera 4 stars for value and 1 for overall because we missed a lot of memorable times this year.

Warranty service center in Utah stinks! They said we will call you in 2 day. 10 days later I called them only to find they have not even looked at my camera. They I find out that it is going to be 5 w