Fujifilm GW-670 III Medium Format

Fujifilm GW-670 III Medium Format

6 x 7cm format rangefinder camera with 90mm f/3.5 EBC Fujinon lens.

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 08, 2016]
FRANK M
Professional

Strength:

PODUCES THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS OF ANY CAMERA I HAVE EVER USED.

REALLY NONE

NOBODY HAS TRIED EVERY CAMERA EVER MADE AND SO I CAN ONLY GO BY WHAT I H.AVE USED. I AM 75 AND BEEN TAKING PICTURES FOR APPROX 55 YEARS. I OWN SOME OUTSTANDING 35 MM CAMERAS AND ALSO THE MAMIYA RZ67 MEDIUM FORMAT. I PHOTOGRAPHED ABOUT 300 WEDDINGS WITH MY MAMIYA RZ67. HOWEVER, THE 90MM FUJI 670 PRO PRODUCED MY GREATEST IMAGE QUALITY. I DID NOT USE THE FUJI FOR WEDDING BECAUSE IT WOULD BE TOO SLOW. I USED IT FOR SCENICS AND PERSONAL FAMILY GROUP PHOTOS. GREAT LENS, LEAF SHUTTER WOW WHAT IMAGE QUALITY!!!!.

MAMIYA RZ67

[May 20, 2000]
Gerhard Schmekt
Model Reviewed: GW-670 III 6x7 Medium Format

Strength:

Awesome lens. Simple. Rugged. Easy rangefinder.

Fixed lens (90mm). Not ergonomically perfect.

Has no intenal metering or automatic anything so this is truly a camera for a professional. Lives up to its nickname "Texas Leica". In the right hands this thing has limitless potential! A lot cheaper than the competition and a better lens!

Don't know yet

Mamiya RZ67
Pentax 6x7

[Oct 30, 2000]
Ray C
Intermediate

Strength:

The lens. The lens. (Build quality and low weight are good too!)

Can't fit in your pocket and that's about it.

Totally manual camera but with an outstanding lens. I've had more than 1 GW670, sold a couple and now find myself buying another one. I can't get away from the quality of that lens and I always seem to be going back. The 6x7 negs provide so much more info in enlargements over the 645 it's easy to tell the difference. Totally manual and I carry the small Sekonic 308B meter for incident readings. I would not hesitate to recommend if you're happy with a single focal length. You can pick them up on ebay in mint condition for 600-800 bucks vs. new at $1259.

Not needed.

Fuji GA645, GA645zi, Pentax 67.

[Nov 08, 2000]
M Skulason
Expert

Strength:

Simple. Rugged. Easy rangefinder. Good quality lens.

One lens / Would be nice to have more selection

Good product and compare to Mamiya 7 the extra F32 on Fuji make all the difrent.

no need

Mamiya 7 II

[Jan 17, 2001]
tony middleton
Professional

Strength:

super lens, better than my 'blad's planar and the mamiya 6/7. Simple rugged build, very little to go wrong. The lens hood can be retracted to cover and protect lens/shutter settings, useful when covering a wedding etc.
I use a seckonic 308B meter this and a few rolls of 220 film are I require for a shoot. Hand held images using speeds higher than 1/60 are faultless.

rangefinder takes a bit of getting used to, no real problem.

A photographers camera, you tell it what to do and it does it. the results are consistent and very good.

not need so far

Mamiya 6 & 7, Fuji gs645

[Feb 14, 2001]
Tom Bloomer
Expert

Strength:

Inexpensive way to get an outstanding medium format lens.
Affordable for those who can't 'Hassel . . .'
Awsome 'boke' - look it up if you don't know what it means you should find out.
Very accurate rangefinder.
Lens projects into lower right finder area which helps you remember to remove the lens cap!
Lens is EXTREEMELY SHARP and CONTRASTY.
No automatic nuthin - makes you think about the shot.
Did I mention how great this lens is?

I have the older version II - It does not show distances in feet on the lens - only meters. The model III has a built in spirit level which is handy for landscape.
No Bulb shutter setting - but I don't use the slower speeds anyway.
Lens projects into lower right corner of finder area which is a minor distraction for composition.
Slip-on lens cap falls off easily.
Women hate portraits taken with this lens - really needs a soft filter for portraits.
No automatic nuthin - makes you think about the shot.

It truly lives up to the name "Texas Leica." But a 16"x20" shot with this camera looks better than an 8"x10" shot with a Leica.

Polite and responsive.

Compared it to a Mamiya 7 - the rangefinder was inferior so I chose the Fuji instead. I've heard the M7-II has a better rangefinder, but I can't afford it.

[Feb 12, 2001]
Diego R. O.
Intermediate

Strength:

Light, superb lense, ergonomic, easy to use and classic.
Is like a FM2 made of rigid platic; plastic are interesting because, when the temperature is cold, the FM2 is very cold but, this camera will be ok. More over, if this camera falls to a river, don´t sink but, your FM2 or your M6 TTL, yes.

No B (bulb), only T. Solid but so many plastic pieces. No self timer. Autonomy (only 5000 shoots) too poor.

The camera is a superb lense into a "dark box". Is a cheap camera because, with it, you don´t need another back (for 120 and 220 film), another prism, another bla, bla...
This camera don´t have light meter but, really is a problem?. When you seeing through a body like this, you need some time for compose the image and your mind; in this time, you´ll know the light without a light meter into this camera.
I like this camera because, like when I use my FM2, autofocus, spot meters, drivers, zooms, EV compensations, programs.... don´t disturb to me; I only make photos and this, make me happy.

Only 20 rolls exposed

Kiev 60, Kiev 88 and Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex

[May 22, 2001]
Michael A.
Professional

Strength:

As others have noted... This is simply a phenomenal lens. The best "Bokeh" out there. That is, sharpness from center to edge. Sharp. Contrast. Beautiful. I like the simplicity of this camera. Automatic nothing! It's a TEXAS LEICA!

Lens cap falls off. No true Bulb setting, instead you have to close lens manually.

It probably won't be your only camera in your arsenal especially when you consider that it has a fixed 90mm lens. But, that lens is so irresistable that you find yourself wanting to use this camera more and more.

MAMIYA RZ67, MAMIYA 7, PENTAX 6x7, Hasselblad

[Sep 22, 1999]
Mike
Model Reviewed: GW-670 III 6x7 Medium Format

Strength:

Large frame size, light (for medium format), good rangefinder. Excellent lens, good handling (mostly, see problems), easy to load.

Would love the 65mm lens on the GSW690, why isn't it available with this? Awkward retractable lenshood, gets in the way of shutter/aperture controls.

I would definitely buy one again. I wish fuji would bring out a GW670zi, this would be the ultimate.

Not needed