Kiev 88CM Medium Format

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 23, 2009]
    hudi82
    Expert

Strength:

- very good lenses
    - can use the 30mm Arsat
    - relatively cheap - but there are other alternatives
    - looks like Hasselblad
    - interchangable everything

- not so cheap
    - questionable reliability (although I never had a problem yet)
    - no DOF lever
    - no MLU (newer ones have)
    - focal plane shutter => slow flash sync - 1/30s
    - possible light leaks

This is a very nice camera that gets wow when walking i a crowd. There are quite a few nice surprises and some expected shortcomes. I bought this 1 year ago on ebay for 250$ with the spot TTL prism and 1 back. I soon got another back and the waist level finder. Now I rarely use my Kiev 60.

When I got my first back, there was a light leak from where the insert goes in because the hard paper that seals it had broken off and I repaired this cheaply (you can actually DIY). The new back had no problems at all.

The inside of the camera was already flocked and the cloth shutter ran smoothly, I hadn't notice any inconsistancies as I did on my Kiev 60.

I have all the Carl Zeiss lenses with MC (I even got the 65mm in silver, though its in a pretty bad shape). However there are problems when mounting the 180mm and 300mm Sonnars. The problem is that the locking ring is too tall and the Sonnars sit on top of it and can't be fully inserted, the solutions are:
    - machine down the locking ring by ~1mm - not a easy task
    - machine the locking ring to increase the diameter - not easy too
    - machine down the Sonnars plate by ~1mm - easier
    I didn't do anything yet and I just don't use those 2 lenses.

Also the DOF preview lever on 50mm & 65mm Flektogon and 80mm Biometar has to be taken off because it gets caught in the locking ring - I had it done free by my service man - now I don't have DOF :-(

The CZJ lenses are really sweet, the quality is awesome and optically are very good, I used them on Nikon D200 and the results are:

- 30mm Arsat - good performer, contrast and color is medium, but for 200$ its worth every penny.
    - 50mm Flektogon - SHAAAAAAARP at any aperture, color is beautiful
    - 65mm Flektogon - good performer (mine was pretty badly scratched, should be quite good if in good condition)
    - 80mm Biometar - so so, resolution was OK but not amazing (mine has a lot of small dust inside - probably the cause)
    - 120mm Biometar - soft wide open, quite good stepped down (not awesome but does hold a good value)
    - 180mm Sonnar - VERY good performer, softer wide open, brilliant color.
    - 300mm Sonnar - Very good - similar to the 180, maybe a bit softer

The metering prism is too big and heavy, I never use it unless its on a tripod. I can get the same result using the waist level finder which is brighter and much much lighter. DONT buy the new WLF cause the glass inside is of the wrong diopter and focuses 1cm too short, so you WILL get dizzy by looking at it. I also got the 4x magnifier - DONT buy it - there is no way you can see the entire frame cause it vingettes and the field of view is too small unless you're farsighted and can focus that thing out. The camera is pretty badly machined so its hard to pull out the viewers - I put some grease on the rail.

The back is quite nice and easy in loading, I'm going to get a 4.5x6 soon to check that out. Do get the NT version, its well made and have a place to put the dark slides.

So in the end, its a nice system with many accesories and very nice lenses. However its not that cheap compared to used Bronicas and Mamiyas and the lenses are of similar prices too. Its a logical thing if you have a Kiev 60, not so obvious if youre new. I got this cause I had 2 Kiev 60s when the prices for Bronica and Mamiya were still high and I slowly got all my CZJ lenses. Now its just a waste to change to a new system since I got pretty much everything.

Kiev 60

[Oct 27, 2006]
    SJ Park
    Expert

Strength:

-Very good ratio of price/performance

-Pefectly works with my CZJ lenses biometar 80mm/2.8, Flektogon 50mm/4,Sonnar 180mm/2.8, most of al,l well working to make the aperture small size F:32,f:22,f:16 etc.

-NT back is almost in new way to loading flim and getting out the fim from the back, dark slide folder on back (perfect upgrade)

-Simple MLU function similar to ARAXFOTO.COM

-New SPOT/TTL finder's accuracy

-Exactly woking lens mount lever on body

- No 220 NT film back

- Slow flash sync speed 1/30" same to Pentax 67(I under stand it is middle format focal plane shutter not lens shutter.)

-Impossible to use preview lever for depth of field on the lens.After mounting this lever be hidden to the 88CM body.

My Kiev 88cm is with MLU function that is very easy to be worked and simple.
    I've heard so much reviews for 88cm before I buy Kiev 88cm.
    The main problems that I worried about were shutter stucking and aperture preset lever working exactly to make minimun size of aperture in CZJ lens, film back's frame overlap and light leakage.

The result of my usage(Very well upgraded to almost perfect grade)
    1. No shutter problem.very smoothly cocked and fired. Continuous 200 time firing of shutter for test,never stucked any time.shutter seepd exactness is very good.

2.All of my CZJ lenses and Russian lenses are mounted perfectly and aperture control at firing moment is exact(some of Kiev 60 does not make the lens aperture under F8,F11,F16,F22) No problem...I decide to forget all the review that was decribed some of CZJ lenses could not be mounted to 88CM(It maybe right to Old 88cm body but 88cm in these days can accept CZJ 80/2.8, 50/4, 180/2.8 lenses perfectly.

3.Frame overlaps not occur, film counter works exactly. I am very impressed really New Type film back.But there is no NT back for 220, a little light leakge at the dark slide entrance side.Light leakage is very very easily fixed for myself and Kievusa told me how to fix it to unscrew 12 screws and tape it and screw again. That is all and very very easy.

Very stable camera more than I expected. Happy to get 88CM for using CJZ lenses.

A little slow follow up, but respond in time.

Hassel 500CM, Mamiya RB,RZ, 645, C330, Pentax 67,Fuji 645,

[Feb 20, 2004]
    a_d_fernandez
    Intermediate

Strength:

See above.

Focusing screen is a bit dark in low-light conditions when using the waist-level finder.

An excellent camera. This camera worked perfectly right out of the box. I've had over ten rolls through this camera and all have come out flawlessly. No frame spacing issues, no light leaks, no shutter banding, the meter is excellent, operation is very smooth, lens is very sharp. I've enlarged up to 15.5x15.5 inches using Delta 400 and Agfa Optima 200 on Agfa 310 glossy and Fuji Crystal Archive papers, respectively, and the results have been absolutely gorgeous. I really can't complain about this camera

Excellent

Hasselblad 501.

[Jan 21, 2004]
    Writertom
    Professional

Strength:

Price Customer Service Wonderful way of getting into serious medium format photography.

None

I bought this camera direct from Kiev Camera because I live in Atlanta. The camera operates flawlessly. The spot metered prism is accurate, the backs are light leak free, the waistlever is snug, the lenses are accurate, and the pictures produced are wonderful.

I have not had the first problem with the 88CM, however, I had bought a 45mm lens sometime ago from an outfit on the West Coast. It never did work and the outfit on the coast is gone. Mike Fourman (Kiev Camera) took the lens with him on his next trip to Ukraine and had it repaired so that I could use it. Mike is always available by email or the phone, and I have found him more than willing to assist his clients.

Bronica ETRSi Yashica Mat TL Seagull 107A

[Nov 04, 2003]
    Maurice Cloutier
    Intermediate

Strength:

Price

None

Great camera have taken many of rolls with great results.

Yashica twin lens 120 Graflexs 4X5

[Oct 31, 2003]
    phil williams
    Professional

Strength:

Price. A similarly equipped Hassy (2xbacks lens meter prism) would cost almost 15x as much. It takes Zeiss (Jena) lenses

Backs seem prone to light leaks, but are easily fixed.

Contrary to what I had heard, this seems to be a well built camera.It feels solid, the fit and finish are quite good, and mechanically it operates flawlessly. A good and cheap way into medium format and Zeiss optics.

Bought from Mike Fourman (Kiev Camera) on eBay. One back had light leak, was willing to replace, though am still waiting for replacement. Overall I would say good but can be slow. Others have had better experiences.

Hasselblad 500c/500cm Pentax 645 rolleiflex TLR

[Oct 29, 2003]
    Andrey Witzlov
    Casual

Strength:

The camera is very easy to operate The body has a very solid build . I tested this camera using Velvia 50 and E100VS chromes and the results are stunning to say the least. Excellent optics.

First let me begin by saying that I have owned this camera for a little over 6 months .The Kiev 88 cm is an incredible camera. The body, Spot metered prism, waist level finder,2x 120 backs, and standard 2.8/80mm lens cost me a less than $520 USD and everything was in brand new condition.!!!!!!! The optics of the Kiev 88 CM system are as good as anything I have seen.

Best from www.kievcamera.com

Kiev 60 TTL Pentacon Six Mamiya 645

[Aug 07, 2003]
    Jim Collins
    Intermediate

Strength:

Inexpensive lenses, solid feel, fantastic images.

I cannot find a 220 back. Weight is sometimes a problem.

The Kiev 88 CM is an excellent camera. The film changes easily, no light leaks or ghosting, I am completely satisified. The rumors of quality problems appear to be just that, rumors!

Rolleiflex 2,8C Olympus OM

[Jul 15, 2003]
    DaleD97
    Professional

Strength:

Price Lens selection very good quality optics handles -15f very well focal plane shutter cheap price for extra film backs

slow flash sync 1/30 (focal plane shutter) no mirror lock up

Very nice version of the Kiev 88 with a p-6 mount. The new backs are fast loading. The camera will use the Carl Zeiss Jena lenses, Schneider lenses, and Kiev lenses. Great value for the price. I have used the Kiev 88 for years as a back up and cheaply fill gaps in my Rollei system lenses. The Kiev 88Cm in reliable and a straight forward manual camera.

Great

Rolleiflex 6008, Rolleiflex 2.8c, Zeiss Super Ikona B, Pentacon 6ttl, Kiev 88

[Feb 02, 2003]
    lifanus
    Intermediate

Strength:

Great for my money Heavy gives you study feeling Very acturate TTL/Spot Meter prism Lense for this camera is cheap and good build.

Some problems with quality control of this camera at it's factory... Lots of camera is Dead on Delivery... But kievcamera and some other Kiev dealer had warranty for it, so no big deal.

Bought Kiev 88cm is a surpise to me, and great value to my money, as I used a 35mm camera before, and accidently lost it. I had an idea change to medium photography. After reading some artical about this camera, I difinily want to purchase one right away! After package delivered to me, I started to testing it, using standard 80mm f2.8 arsat lense, and the new Spot/TTL prism finder. Well, the results turns out quite surpisly to me. As before I always shot at autofocuse/matrix metering 35mm camera, this big fully mechanical allows totally control under the exposure, which I think would help me a lot for futher photography study. The Spot/TTL metering prism also gives very acturate readings, both TTL(Center Weighted) and Spot(A bit spot...) New NT film back is very easy to use, even to a person never touched this kind of film back before. The overall finish of this camera is a little bit rough, and heavy of course, but it worth it!!! Every amature and student in a budget should consider this camera! Lense for this camera is very very cheap and quite good quality compare to those over $5000 camera... a lines of used carl zeiss jena lense is also avaliable in P6 or Kiev 88 lense mount.

Never, dealer's customer support though e-mail is fast enough, and kind...

None, first time medium camera user, I choosen Kiev 88cm.