Mamiya 645AFD Medium Format

Mamiya 645AFD Medium Format

Handling like a 35mm SLR, it incorporates features found only on sophisticated 35mm cameras, yet it offers the advantage of a format that’s 2.7X larger than 35mm. Ready to conquer the digital world, the 645AFD offers exclusive data transfer from the camera to the digital back utilizing its digital intelligence via MSC (Mamiya Serial Communication).

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 03, 2022]
Kyzer

Strength:

I love the quality of this lens, worth the buy. santa cruz roof repair

None so far.

[May 25, 2022]
Janwil

Strength:

I love this product, it works really well. party bus rental midwest city oklahoma

Worth the buy.

[May 17, 2022]
Toddclo

Strength:

- Fast and accurate autofocus - Simple navigation of controls - Solid build despite being plastic - Fully automatic film load and rewind - Adjustable DX coding - Great value all around. Check: www.maconfoundationrepair.net

Viewfinder could be bigger.

Purchased:
New
[Mar 30, 2022]
JakeXyrus

Strength:

Love snow scenes in particular and have to check the read out info on the top of the camera to gain the necessary information. Sold the camera because of this. Totally useless even under fairly bright conditions. contact us

None so far.

[May 09, 2006]
jamie_m_
Professional

Strength:

Fast (for medium format) and accurate auto focus, light weight and portable. Most of the benefits of 35mm in medium format.

Large bright view finder makes manual focusing simple.

The only minor niggle I have is that I can not find a carry case for the camer as it is such a different shape to 35mm SLRs

I moved up from canon eos 1ds to Mamia 645AFDII with a Phase One P30 digital back for the increase in resolution. I was prepared to have to go through a steep learnign curve to get to grips with the difference between medium format an 35mm, but it has been a smooth transition.

The camera is no more difficult to handle than an EOS 1Ds with an L series lens and the image quality blows my 1Ds to the weeds.

The lenses are not as fast or a long, but that is more to do with the format than the camera.

I was given a rental camera free of charge while I waited for my order and a 2 hour introduction to the camera, back and software... cant say better than that.

Canon EOS 1Ds

[Mar 17, 2005]
gwelland
Intermediate

Strength:

Good handling, solid construction, wide range of lenses from 35 - 300mm. Digital capabilities with digital back. Sharp lenses.

Metering sensitive to light entering view finder. AF lenses have loose feel when used in manual focus. Slow AF performance. Lack of 1.4x or 2x extenders. Mamiya poor at releasing new lenses (26mm 2 years late!)

Good AF medium format camera with plenty of fixed and zoom lenses available. I've used mine for a couple of years and am generally happy with it. I moved from a 645 Pro TL system because I intended to shoot with a digital back - if I could have used my Kodak back with the Pro TL I would have stayed with it as I consider the Pro TL to be a better system!

None needed. Robust camera system.

Mamiya 645 Pro TL - better built and excellent manual focus system. Pentax 645N

[Oct 08, 2003]
Jan
Professional

Strength:

Exceptional optics!

Do not see any for this camera in this price level.

This camera Mamiya 645AFD, is alternative choice to pro-users of Sinar, etc. Well build with exceptional quality (!) optics and easy to handle in almost all situations. Digital back is "sugar on cake" for this system. Highly recommended!

Hasselblad.

[Oct 03, 2003]
Thomas Fabian
Professional

Strength:

Very comfortable and easy to use. Excelent quality of lenses. The 120/220 film back is wonderful, as compared to the bronicas where you need to get two seperate film backs, this was intelligent.

None so far....but who knows....everything breaks down sometime...even a ferrari.

I don't know what you people are talking about. After reading these reviews I went outside and pointed the camera directly at the sun and had NO problems reading the information in the viewfinder....and even if you did have problems...all the info is on the lcd on top of the camera. Well enough said about the crybabies. This camera is exceptionally easy to use. It is easy to hold, operate all dials, and in general easy to handle. Metering is not bad on this camera, of course a meter is there only as a basic road map for exposure, it is the photographer who makes the decision. Also, the lenses for this camera seem to be quite sharp. The only problem i have with the lenses is the standard 80mm feels a bit flimsy, but i've had no problems with it so far.

not needed

Bronica 645

[Feb 20, 2003]
Rurik
Expert

Strength:

MF advantage (larger film size, than 24x35mm, interchangeable backs, mirror lock-up). Magazines work with 120/220 film.Ease to use. Solidity. Manual cable release can be used.

Viewfinder 0.71X of life-size, is somewhat dark. AF is slow, and the microprism (I changed the focusing screen because of the dark long lenses 500mm 5.6 and 55mm shift when using shift function) focusing screen is not very sharp, so focusing is difficult. This is perhaps what I dislike the most about the camera and woudld be the reason no. 1 to sell it. The exposure meter is fancily adverised in the Mamiya web page as 5-segment evaluative center-weighted average (AV) with bright point elimination which gives the false idea of matrix type metering when it is really a center weighed and spot metering. The exposure meter (spot)is not as accurate as the F90X (also spot) and the spot of the meter is a rather large circle, so critical metering is not possible.

My first experience in Medium Format. I like the large prints I am producing with the camera. And the not so advance features as compared with my F90X has helped me to re-discover photography techinque which has sustantially improved my photographic skills. In the other hand, the slow AF and limited range on AF telephoto has reduced the number of animal pictures I am taking, and because of the not so close focusing of my 500mm 5.6 (9m) I can't really take prairie dogs and birds. The spot on the metering is a very large circle and for years I have not used average metering in my cameras. The Digital film backs (Kodak 16MB) are outragously expensive $12K, and the new digital Kodak DCS 14N with 14MB is only $5k, so I may actually change the MF for a +10MB digital with 35 mm lens compatibility.

Very good in both B&H and Mamiya

Nikon F90X

[Jan 04, 2003]
Jason
Professional

Strength:

Fine for studio work. NOT outdoors.

See review.

As stated, I am an outdoor photographer. Chose this camera because of the autofocus. Problem is I cannot see the information in the viewfinder on even fairly bright days. Love snow scenes in particular and have to check the read out info on the top of the camera to gain the necessary information. Sold the camera because of this. Totally useless even under fairly bright conditions. A shame.

When I informed them of the cameras weakness for taking outdoor photos they seemed to have cared less. So I would say poor.

Pentax 645