Metz 45CL-4 Flash Flashes

Metz 45CL-4 Flash Flashes

45 Cl-4 Digital Handle Mount Flash. Includes empty battery cluster. A trusted workhorse redesigned for the digital age! Tough professional use calls for maximum flash power and devices you can rely on. With the new, ultra high performance digital handheld flash guns from Metz you now have reliable lighting support during all your digital photo shootings, too. Guide number 45 for ISO 100/21° and 35 mm focal length.

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 19, 2016]
phil w
Professional

Strength:

Powerful .(Thats 45 METRES range! ) Reliable. Physically robust. Swivel-head permits easy bouncing. Secondary flash can be used as fill-in or - off camera - provide a bit of sparkle or back-lighting. Ubiquitous AA cells or NiCd (or NiMh) batteries. Battery holder permits quick-change of battery. 6 Auto-aperture pre-sets. Full, half and quarter-power manual. "Winder" setting gives multi fps at 1/32 power. Consistent colour temperature. No complaints here.
Sits on a good solid bracket with the camera providing a handy grip rather than teetering on top like the current rash of hot-shoe inhabitants which make the camera unweildy and top-heavy. It is ergonomic in use and altogether a well thought-out design.

Big and heavy. No easy TTL without a plethora of absurdly expensive add-ons (Metz "SCA" TTL giving incomplete access to full camera flash functions) The instant hystogram from any digital SLR provides most accurate way of evaluating for correct exposure thus lack of TTL is no problem for me.

CAUTIONARY NOTE: I accidentally left a Metz 45CL 4 turned on and note there is no low-battery cut-off point and that this flash will completely flatten a battery pack under this condition. This means that the first cells in the battery pack to go completely flat will get reverse current from the rest so damaging them permanently. Yes it's stupid to do this but I did it and must tell of the risk.

Note: NiCd - or at least the cadmium part - is nasty poisonous technology on it's way out. I have not tried any LiMg or LiPo batteries as these are incompatible without a jury-rig. One can however use a Metz empty battery holder as the input point when cable connected to an external supply. This supply needs to be capable of around 8 Amps to be equal to the NiCd in re-cycle time.

For it's age this is a very good bit of kit. I have 2 and use them as studio flashes with Yongnuo radio-linking triggers. Great flexibility as this equates to 4 flashes - 2 big 2 small. The re-cycle time is shortest using NiCd. Sanyo 700mAh have lowest internal resistance found. NiMh have much higher capacity - >2.5Ah - but give much longer re-cycles, again due to higher internal resistance. Manganese alkaline show intermediate result.

Not the most lively nor attentive crew in answering technical questions. Adequate.

Early Metz flash c1965 - Braun Hobbyists twin head flash c1970.subsequently Pro Metz flashes with massive Lead-acid shoulder-borne battery packs. - Bowens: various Mains Powered Studio Flashes etc.

[Sep 14, 2008]
Ramesh
Expert

Strength:

Very reliable. Never failed me. Consistent colour temp throughout. Predictable flash output in TTL. Internal sensor works fine (even without TTL accessories). Battery last longer than EOS Speedlight.

Metz's battery packs are very expensive.

Cannot use NiCAD or NiMH in alkaline battery holder according to Metz (I never had any problems with it but can be rewired to suit)

Small reflector should be able to controll independantly (But not a weak point though)

I bought my 45-CT5 2 years ago from ebay to experiment with my film camera EOS 500N and EOS 300D. I already had a speedlight 430EZ. Since I didn't have a PC socket in my camera and SCA adapter with it. I used it as a slave unit for bounce flash. It never failed me. I have noticed colour temp is very good compared to my 430EZ. Batteries last longer than EZ and Flash output is great. I was using NiMH 2000mA in Alkaline battery holder (Which I shouldn't have done it but still works fine. Now change the flash wiring so it's ok).

Now I bought another nearly new Metz 45 CL4 with NiCAD pack from eBay again to use with my new EOS 40D. Both Metz are used as low cost studio lights for portraits and Single unit for out door (I shoot stage plays and functions a lot for family and friends) I always use it in manual setting. So didn't bother to get any TTL accessories for the flash heads. I shoot minimum of 100 frames per session.

Finally, It's a great kit to have in your camera bag if you need a reliable flash. Buy the kit with NiMH pack and charger or modify the flash to use NiMH in Alkaline holder (Cheaper option)

Never needed !!!!!

Sunpak Hammerhead (Can't remember the model, used in 1988)

Cobra 700

EOS 540EZ

EOS 430EZ

[Aug 24, 2004]
Rana Tanveer
Expert

Strength:

The power, colour temprature, designe, build quality, two reflectore, perfect TTL exposure, auto mode and every thing.

None

The 45CL is a perfect tool for stuning colour. I have been using 550ex with my EOS1v and results were OK. The advantage of this flash over other dedicated units are two reflectors and colour temprature. The skin tones are perfect and the bounce and fill in flash does its wondrs. I baught a new unit and had a bumpy start.I used SCA3012 adaptor and when I put my camera in Auto (P) mode the apperture used to be locked at f22 and shutter speed locked at 1/250 (blinking). I contacted Metz in UK and they were very helpfull. The unit was faulty so I returned it and bough another used one. The result of my fisrt wedding shoot was much better then 550EX. This flash has become my favorite from its first result. The power is sufficient to cope with any situation and unit is very easy to use. In TTL mode it gives me 6 rool of 36exp with one charge of 2100 mah rechargable battery pack. Auto mode is another advantage. Simply this is the best flash one can buy. The 60ct4 is biger brother of this gem, but with separete 2-3 Killos to carry on your shoulders is a cosiderable load for a day lone wedding shoot.

Very help full.

Minolta flash, Canon 550ex

[Aug 09, 2004]
jcduran
Intermediate

Strength:

Strengths: - Sturdy, RELIABLE! - Fast recycle time, enough power for most uses - Bounce/swivel head with secondary lamp - Many modes to suit your needs - A standard in Europe for wedding photography - Repair and parts service

- Heavy and bulky, may not fit everybody's needs. Not just the unit to carry always in the bag. - Old-fashioned NI-CD battery with "memory" effect. and the charger is not intelligent, you have to remember when to disconnect it. - The accesories are expensive. But this is true for all brands, isn't it?

I bought this flash unit together with the 3402 SCA (for Nikon) and the TTL cable with AF assist light. I was working then as a semi-professional (extra incomings taking photos at weddings banquets). It has never failed. Sure, this flash is heavy, bulky and a bit expensive (with all the TTL accesories), but it's reliable and very suitable for the job. The recycle time is very short in usual conditions (so you're always ready to shot), the bounce/swivel head with secondary lamp is a must then you have a white ceiling above you, the metering (in auto mode) is very acurate and predictable, the rechargeable battery saves you money, and you can also use standard alkaline batteries when the main battery drains off. The arm places the head away from the lens axis, preventing red-eye effect and so the lighting is less flat. I usually use it in auto mode, changing the aperture to fit the light bounce. I rarely use TTL (as I get less predictable results), and the TTL mode supported in this flash is analog (old) TTL, not supporting the newer more advanced TTL modes such as 3D with preflash. But TTL works reliably, anyway, and it is a saver when you need to work really fast without having much time to thik, and specially when using filters. The AF assist light accesory is a great help when focusing in low light situations such as a dark church.

Never required, but available if necessary

Metz 32 MZ-3 + SCA 3401 (red-eye effect!) Cullmann DC-25 + SCA 346 F80 built-in pop-up flash (just a toy)

[Aug 07, 2003]
Longbow
Professional

Strength:

Good power; TTL flash is superior for critical photography, where results determine your paycheck; bounce/swivel head, and Omni-Bounce has unit to fit. CL/4 has a bit better control panel layout than CT/4, otherwise they seem interchangeable from users standpoint. Seeem to last forever, work as they're supposed to; what's not to like? By the way--someone commented that they are not to be used with Quantom Turbo batteries...nonsense!!! I, and almost every wedding photographer this side of Pluto use that combo as standard gear. Like I said earlier, 40,000 pops and still running, and every one of them with the Turbo!

When I think of one, I'll post it.

This reviews both the Metz 45CL/4 and older 45CT/4. Used the 45CT/4 for tons of wedding and location shoots...figure about 40,000 pops and still going strong. Replaced it with the 45CL after noticing some burnt looking discoloration of the bulb and mirrored reflector surrounding it. Functioning was still perfect, but weddings are no place to have doubts in equipment or confidence, so obtained the 45CL/4 as main unit and retired the 45CT/4 to non-wedding use.

Haven't needed since 1988.

[Apr 26, 2003]
Expert

Strength:

Power, accuracy, build quality

Price - you could get four Vivitar 283s instead.

Nothing to criticise about this gun at all! It has plenty of power and the auto sensor is pretty accurate. You don't really need the TTL adaptor. Buy the NiCd version, which comes with a spare battery cluster for normal alkaline cells in case your NiCds run out.

Metz 45CT-1

[Feb 08, 2003]
Yamanomichi
Expert

Strength:

- power - reliability - easily connected to other cameras - second reflector for macro shots

- NC-charge unit is not intelligent - short lifetime of the NCs - diffusor not very robust

I have owned the 45CT-5 and the actual 45CL-4. Both are perfect machines in terma of power, versatility and rugged design. The SCA-connectors link both flashes to my old Canon A1 or (CL-4 version only) to my EOS 3. I prefer using the A-TTL-mode of this flash over the e-TTL mode of the dedicated systems (my Canon 420EX flash) since the latter tends to unexpected under- and overexposures. Read the comments of some professionals on the 550EX systems VERY carefully! For macro photography, I use the Metz 45CL-4 not attached to the camera but hand-hold to obtain various directions of light. At distances below 0.8 m from the subject I simply turn the main reflector by 180° and use unly the second small reflector. Result: perfect macro exposures without ring light! I also don´t miss the motorized reflector for indoor photography since the brute power of the unit mostly allows a bounced illumination which I prefer by far.

- never needed

Metz 60-CT1, 45-CT5, Canon 420EX

[Aug 14, 2002]
allblood
Intermediate

Strength:

- Good power - TTL capability - easy-to-use Auto dial

- relatively slow recharging time

I use this with my Pentax 645. Since I shoot mostly 400 film indoor, the distance coverage is exactly what I need. I use it both with TTL and auto. I like the Auto setting much more than the color coding of Vivitar 285HV since I can set the f-stop and see the max. distance all in the same dial. This is especially convenient when doing fill flash outdoor. Also, the wide-angle diffuser couples with the distance scale to show the reduced distance coverage. I like the idea of having the battery in the flash since I don't need to carry an extra battery pack. The recharging time is long, but not too bad. I am planning to purchase the NiCad battery since Metz suggests against using any non-Metz battery pack, NiMH batteries, or Li battery.

Metz in Germany responded e-mail promptly.

Vivitar 285HV

[Mar 22, 2002]
nur seraph
Intermediate

Strength:

1)built like a brick 2)very reliable 3)can double up as a riot control device

none.

bought mine second hand a couple of years back.failed only once... due to a faulty syncro cord.very good and reliable piece of kit.very accurate 2.i highly recommend it

none needed...

metz 60 550ex

[Jan 13, 2002]
MarceloSQ
Intermediate

Strength:

- Good recycle time, especially with NiCad batts. - Strong handle and metallic angle latch. - Compatible with 2fps winders, at minimum light power. - Secondary lamp. Very useful for fill-in flash when bouncing main beam. - Upgradeable to fit any modern TTL camera, though adaptors needed can be a little expensive.

None remarkable. Though if I have to mention one: bulky. You´ll need a medium to large photo bag to carry it.

An excellent lighting instrument. I bought it back in 1992 and it gave me those long years of satisfaction. Still use it frequently, and it wasn´t but some months ago that original NiCad batteries started to show worn. Nevertheless I did not replace them yet. Mechanically strong, you can rely on its handle to hold your camera, motor and a medium telephoto or zoom lens. Powerful enough for almost every situation.

Never needed it.