Gossen Digisix Light Meters

Digisix

• Ambient light meter
  • Digital read-out and analog scale
  • Reflective and incident modes
  • Clock with alarm for timing long exposures
  • Precision digital thermometer

• User Reviews (11)

Toby Madrigal   Professional [Nov 20, 2016]
    Strength:

Its small, easily seen and when hanging around my neck, pops in my shirt pocket - thus, always to hand . Being electronic, its incredibly accurate. A spare battery is easily carried in a bag and its quick to change. Apart from its intended use, I do not use the others.

None really worth mentioning.

I bought this to use with a pair of Leica MDa bodies and 35 mm f3.5 Summaron lens and SBLOO viewfinder, all carried in the Billingham for Leica Combination bag M. As the meter is quite compact, it does not take up much room leaving room for extra rolls of film.

Similar Products Used: Gossen Lunalite - big, sturdy with 9v battery, but takes up a lot of room. Weston Master V, getting old now, Leicameter MR4.
    drg   Professional [Jun 30, 2007]
    Strength:

-Demonstrably durable. Has been dropped repeatedly and works.
    -Compact size
    -Easy to read under most conditions (see below)
    -Thermometer and Clock.

-Plastic, but only has one gouge from some ham handed photographer!
    -No real functions for memory and comparison.
    -Obviously limited in use to basic readings.
    -Can be tricky to read if not in hand or in the lens of the camera as it is small.
    -At full price, it is expensive compared to some other similarly featured meters but They don't have the clock and thermometer. Probably wouldn't buy it at full retail.
    -Buttons are touchy. Have to keep it away from things that can accidently depress the buttons. Have a small plastic case that works fine, but offsets much of size advantage as a result.

One of those purchases that worked out better than expected.

This little meter has gotten lots of use in rugged conditions. It is amazing the number of clients who have been very pleased to see the temperature displayed in some documentary photographs of work sites.

On days of varying lighting this has been real handy to just stick (literally with velcro or gaffer's tape) in the corner of what will be the photo for reference. For test shots you can compare the reading (you can do this with any meter admittedly) with the cameras for one more check! And it also tells time. Time, Temperature and incident and ambient light, a handy combination. I got this one a little cheaper the normal as part of a promotion with another MUCH more expensive Gossen meter.

It is accurate, only changed batteries once in 3+ years. Of course there are very limited options in terms of stops, no advanced features for filtering, accumulated measurement etc.

Used it a number of times with a 4x5 camera under variable conditions and the thermometer came in handy than one might expect! The ambient temp of the camera was cooler or warmer from the case and the meter in the case reminded me of that and allowing for it prevented wasting film and shots with a camera adjusting to conditions. Probably paid for itself on one or two days in film alone!

More than accurate enough for most non-studio work where a spot meter isn't required as a 'double check' to more expensive meters or TTL systems.

Have not used it for this product.

Similar Products Used: I've used many light meters from Gossen and Sekonic to name two.

graphicssolutions   Professional [Oct 02, 2004]
    Strength:

Small.

Doesn't measure light.

Well, one I have got has a clock, alarm and even tells your a temperature, but as a lightmeter, I am getting pretty much random exposure values. Even in constant light repeated measuring can look like this: 6, 6.2, 8, 6.1, 8.3 ... and it should be something like constant 4.

B&H - Shocking and still looking for Gossen's home page.

Similar Products Used: Sekonic 608
    HMausolf   Intermediate [Jul 05, 2004]
    Strength:

Tiny, lightweight, ease of use.

Buttons are pressed a bit too easily, so you can press them when being carried in a pocket.

This tiny little lightmeter attracted me, as I needed a reliable, yet easy-to-carry companion for my Leica M2. It has got everything I need. It fits easily into any pocket. Metering is reliable and exact enough, there is no significant difference to my other meters (Lunasix, Spotmaster, Leicameter). I like Digisix's extra features such as clock, count-down clock and thermometer. It's easy to use and exactly the kind of meter I was looking for.

Not needed yet.

Similar Products Used: Gossen Lunasix, Sixtino, Spotmaster, Leicameter MC
    mkjyg   Expert [Jun 22, 2004]
    Strength:

Compact, easy to use, accurate.

Poor battery life. Died after only 2 years.

While it worked, it was good. Compact, easy to use, accurate. Battery does NOT last long. It died after only 2 years.

Similar Products Used: selenium meter.
    azipuff   Intermediate [Jun 19, 2004]
    Strength:

Small & lightweight Incident & reflected light Easy-to-read dial output Sensitive & reasonably accurate

Extra features such as the timer, clock & alarm detract from its functionality. Quite often the mode button is inadvertently pressed in the pocket or in the bag, making the meter useless if required straight away. It is also expensive for what it is.

I don't think there is another light meter available which has the included features for such a small size. This in itself makes it a highly functional instrument.

Similar Products Used: Minolta Autometer V
    mirman   Professional [Oct 23, 2003]
    Strength:

Small, but the real strength for me is that its always on.

Plastiky and cheap finish.

Having bought a Sekonic L308 because my L508 was to big when organising wedding groups, I was well disappointed when the thing keeps turning of after 4 mins. Everytime I got it out of my pocket I had to stand there like a lemon waiting for it to warm up. Well not anymore, I discovered the Digisix. Its always on, slips into shirt pocket and ready to work. It is simple to use, I can walk back to camera doing any necessary adjustments in head and I know I won't have to wait for it to start next time I go back to arrange a group. O.k it feels cheap and plastiky but for me it has the convenience of an older selinium cell meter with the accuracy and stenghts of a newer digital meter. The extra functions I will also make good use of. Alarm, countdown, clock etc. Not everybody's cup of tea, but slots into the hole for me .

Similar Products Used: Sekonic L308 BII
    A R Yue   Casual [Apr 10, 2003]
    Strength:

Compact/Pocketable Exposure Values in 1/3rd stops Incident and Reflective Measurement Countdown Timer

Lacks an dial to set ISO Flash Shoe adapter must be purchased separately

I occasionally shoot with a couple of classic medium format cameras that lack a light meter. Up to now I've used a 30 year old Gossen Luna-Pro that is still going strong. I thought about purchasing the smaller Voigtlander clip-on meter, but it lacks an incident meter and a read out in EV's, which I prefer. What I don't like is the lack of dial to select the ISO. I find button pushing, which seems to be all to common these days, to be an encumberance. I guess I'll continue to calculate my filter factors mentally. Rather than it being a separate purchase, the accessory/flash shoe adapter should definitely have been included with the digisix. With regards to the plastiky construction, I fully expected it. The count down timer is plus I hadn't expected. The built-in thermometer is a curious feature. All in all I'm pleased with the digisix.

N/A

Similar Products Used: Gossen Luna-Pro
    Graham Purse   Intermediate [Nov 07, 2002]
    Strength:

Abundant features. Fantastic layout. Intuitive controls. Small size.

The most plastic feeling device I have every owned for photography, even more so than my first SLR; a Minolta STSI.

I just got it today. I have been playing with it all afternoon to see if I could get the same accurate readings that I have learned to get with my Mamiya system. And if did not take long at all to sort out. The best feature is the continous contrast readings that can be taken. You hold down the button, move the meter around, and it tells you the difference between the original reading and where it is pointing currently. Awesome.

Similar Products Used: Internal light meters (all TTL)
    IVARS drulle   Expert [Oct 25, 2002]
    Strength:

always on. many different functions schit, it has thermometer, timer, clock with alarm, contrast measurements. for me switch betwen Fahrenheit and Celsius is very helpful. I know what 65 degrees F means. this little m-f wakes me up every morning! and I can cook my cowbrain with the 30 timer ,which beeps for the last 10 sec.

although I don't have big hands, not at all, it is difficult to operate digisix with one hand. plasticky feel and smell. especially smeel of the case. plasticky feel and smell.

oh, this little cute lightmeter has broken my heart. I wake up with its alarm and cook my lever, soaked in milk, using digisix timer. I love to look how much 25 degrees celsius is,if converted in Fahrenheit (am a european in america). digisix has an excellent design, but it smells of cheap plastic, though. The smallest lightmeter I've seen. Precise. I use with Olympus OM-1 and wish it was metal as my GREAT body is!

Similar Products Used: gossen luna pro sbc gossen luna lux no sekonic, don't like the name.