Sekonic L-718 Digi Master Light Meter Light Meters

L-718 Digi Master Light Meter

A multi-function digital ambient flash meter for the working pro on location or in the studio. Features 1/10 step digital and 1/2 step analog readout, multi-directional dual pivot light receptor, memory functions, and rubberized covering. Optional 5° spot and ground glass reading receptor.

User Reviews (7)

longbow   Professional [Aug 02, 2003]
Strength:

Everything already mentioned plus very long battery life, well lit display when needed, non-slip rubber grip, multi-directional light dome, lanyard cord attachment, if you're so inclined, and spot reading with an optional attachment.

None. Personally, don't need available light spot metering from the 718; all my cameras have BTL spot metering, which can sometimes be more accurate than hand held spot meters, as individual lens transmitance and filter factor losses are compensated for automatically, in most cases, in-camera. Sadly, unit has been discontinued. But the good news is that this rugged unit may be the last light meter I'll ever need.

The best meter I've ever owned. Meters everything with intuitive ease, from studio flash for people and products, to ambiant and combined lighting indoors and out. Multiple pops are a breeze, and memory on/off is simple as can be.

Never needed.

Similar Products Used: Other Seconic, Gossen.
Aaron Rocky   Casual [Jun 19, 2000]
Model Reviewed: L-718 Digi Master Light Meter
Strength:

Accurate, easy to use, plenty of features, good quality, cost effective.

none

I was hesitating between minolta and sekonic, decided on sekonic for recent free instruction book promotion. I'm very happy with this meter.

excellent

Similar Products Used: none
Terry Wallace   Professional [Jun 14, 2000]
Model Reviewed: L-718 Digi Master Light Meter
Strength:

EZ to use. It has the features I need. both cord & uncord flash plus multiple pops. The light is great for night shots and low light studio work.

None

I have had this meter for years now and would buy another one if something happened to this one. I can shoot chrome dead on with this meter. In my shooting situations I could not function without a meter I can trust and this one is a relaible work horse. We shoot mostly on location and this meter has held up under hard conditions.

Terry Wallace
Wallace Photography & Design

I had a Sekonic that died on an out of town shoot after years of use. I sent it to Sekonic; their repair department informed me it was unfixable and sent me a $75 credit toward any Sekonic meter. So I moved up to L-718

Similar Products Used: Sekonic L-328 F
Wei Zhuang   Intermediate [Apr 13, 2000]
Model Reviewed: L-718 Digi Master Light Meter
Strength:

Very accurate, measures both incident and reflecting light, plus many many useful features for a very reasonable price.

Could be a little smaller.

I love this baby! A lot more features and lower priced than the L-508 I've used before. A very rugged, very accurate meter. The illuminated LCD is very handy when the need arises. The tilting/rotating receptor head makes it easy for any tight places or awkward positions. The memory feature, the tripod socket, the rubberized body, many really nice little features make the 718 one incredible meter other high priced meters can't match. If you can tolerate the slightly larger size, this is the meter to get, honestly.

Haven't need to contact them yet.

Similar Products Used: Sekonic L-508
Frank Yang   Intermediate [Mar 04, 2000]
Model Reviewed: L-718 Digi Master Light Meter
Strength:

Very very easy to use for a ambient and flash meter. Very well built and finish. Can measure incident light continuously. Comes with three disk for different types of light measurement.

None that affect my needs. Can't do averging or multiple exposures in ambient light.

I learn to use this meter without reading the manual in less than five minutes. The light receptor head rotates for ease of measuring and reading your results. Very nice back lighted LCD when needed. Got the features that most will use 99.9 percent of the time. I was tempting to get the Gossen Luna Star F2 but it cost $330, I got the L-718 for $230 mail order which has more and cost less. I'd buy it again.

Non needed yet

Similar Products Used: My friends Minolta IV meter
David Shacklee   Expert [Jan 19, 2001]
Strength:

Accurate, easy to use. great in studio and on location. Great for people and scenics

None percieved so far. I do wish it was water resistant though.

The meter is great. Large enough to hold on to but stores easily. Extremely accurate and easy to use, some day I'll read the manual. I use it for portraits (for pay) and wild flowers (for fun)and it works great for both. Swiveling head comes in handy for both

Not needed

Similar Products Used: Minolta, Polaris and Vivitar
Dean Madaus   Expert [Aug 15, 2001]
Strength:

Easy to use. Love the selector slider to switch from ambient to flash. You don't have to hit a button several times to cycle through the selections (like on the 508). Love the rubberized shell. Feels great and helps protect the plastic. Has great add-on stuff like an optional spot meter. Low cost.

The only weakness that I can think of is it's size. But when you compare it to other meters, it really is not a weakness. Waterproof would be nice.

An excellent light meter. If you need spot capability, you can buy the add on unit for a 5 degree spot meter. This is a great meter if you don't want to waste money on the other ones that have spot built in but would like to have the flexibility in the future to do spot.