Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G 35mm Primes

USER REVIEWS

[Nov 27, 2013]
1961sg
Professional

Strength:

-Sharp, Sharp, Sharp.
-Inexpensive
-1:1 macro

What weaknesses?

A real little gem of a lens. Dirt cheap to buy. Excellent, sharp, punchy pictures. Really surprising for a lens this inexpensive. It is light, compact and could easily be used as your all around standard lens. Unlike Canon's compact 50mm macro this lens is capable of shooting at 1:1macro while the Canon requires a teleconverter to achieve the same. If you have a APS-C size (DX) sensor you need to get one of these lenses. It would be a good value at $400

None needed

Canon EF 50mm 2.5 Compact Macro

OVERALL
[Feb 20, 2012]
Franglais
Expert

Strength:

Image quality.
I think it's the sharpest lens I have
Clarity and contrast
Small size
Low cost

Can't think of anything

This is probably my best lens as far as image quality goes. Sometimes the images have a three-dimensional quality about them. They are in any case very sharp.

I use this lens occasionaly for document copies and small objects (what a macro lens is intended for) but mostly I use it in the studio for upper body portraits and nudes. I happen to prefer square images in the studio. Cutting the top and bottom off the rectangular image format with my normal lenses (like the 18-200) sometimes gave me images that were sharp but were lacking something undefinable. The 40mm macro gives me that extra clarity and sharpness that I was looking for

Not needed