Olympus OM-Zuiko 18mm f3.5 35mm Primes

Available At:
OM-Zuiko 18mm f3.5

User Reviews (4)

Dean   Intermediate [Apr 03, 2003]
Strength:

Compact, sharp and zero distortion.

Lens flare.

Good lens. Zero distortion. I have had quite a few Zuikos. I shoot street and architecture and since I got the lens it is on my body 70% of the time. Sharp, excellent color and great perspective. Very compact. Lens flare would be its only weekness so you have be careful. Zuiko stuff is getting pretty pricey, but quality of the lens is high.

Similar Products Used: 24mm, 35-70mm, Tokina 17mm
Available At:
Thomas Viland   Expert [Aug 05, 2001]
Strength:

Great color rendition! Extremely compact
Virtually distortion-free
Excellent build quality

none

I have never used a filter of any kind with this lens, as I do not have the 49-72 lens shade, but blue sky on Ektachrome looks as if it were shot through a polarizer. Zero observable distortion. Huge DOF makes pre-focused grab shots easy. Great low light performance. Has the look and feel of high quality.

Local customer service for Olympus has been good.

Similar Products Used: Olympus lenses: 28mm/2.0, 35mm/2.8 shift, 50/1.8, 85/2.0, 180/2.8, 35-70/3.5-4.5
Zeiss rangefinder: 50/1.5
Jan Steinman   Expert [Aug 17, 1999]
Model Reviewed: OM-Zuiko 18mm f3.5
Strength:

Not only is it a fine super-wide, but it is small and light also. I often use it set hyperfocal for "grab shots" without looking through the viewfinder. I leave the 49 -> 72 adaptor attached all the time, and use a 72mm lens cap on that.

The lens-rotation stop screw came out, and I had to be careful not to over-turn the lens during removal. Camtech supplied me with a replacement screw at a reasonable price.

This is my second-favorite Zuiko. It lives on one of my bodies. I almost never go shooting without it. Even if I am going to a shoot that cannot possibly use it (portrait, wildlife, etc.), it is so small and light that I take it along. (In such cases, I often use the 18mm on a different body to document the shoot set-up.)

John Hermison at Camtech is great -- thanks!

Similar Products Used: Vivitar 17mm.
Warren Kato   Intermediate [Aug 17, 1999]
Model Reviewed: OM-Zuiko 18mm f3.5
Strength:

One of my favorite Olympus lens. Tests have shown this lens to be sharper and contrastier that Leica, Nikon, Canon, etc.

None