Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM 35mm Zoom

EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM

A handy, compact zoom lens for travelling, etc. The highest optical performance in its class, plus the convenience of focusing as close as 2.3 feet over the entire zooming range. A powerful ring-type USM drive provides silent enjoyable picture-taking experience.

User Reviews (9)

eraneran   Intermediate [Jan 28, 2010]
Strength:

Great outdoor or well lighted scenery, will cover all my photo needs, from family to profesional sunjects. nice macro. All lenses in one lense

Heavy wight(all the lenses in one), heavy in price :) The wife jokes that i need this zoom to prove... ;)

to a range example:

A macro Sample with the lense:

The most tele:

The most wide:

depth of field:

One for sunset (always like it):

ores808   Casual [Jul 24, 2009]
Strength:

From 'hither' to 'yon', this thing is remarkably flexible and incredibly sharp (a little tricky wide open at 300).

NONE (I read a lot of reviews where the biggest complaint was weight. Come of folks, this thing probably doesn't weight any more than that water bottle you lugged around all day. Go the gym.

Spend the last 3 months touring Europe with my 5D Mark ii with 2 zooms and a prime. I got grew increasingly weary of 1).trying to guess which lens to bring each morning, 2). bringing the wrong lens and missing half of the shots or 3), bringing 2 or 3 lenses and fumbling around trying to change them ..... usually missing the shot in the mean time. In the mean time, my back of 'stuff' broke my back. In the had a lot of money tied up in lenses and i guess i wasn't smart enough or patient enough to "get it right". Returned to the States last month. Bought the Canon 28-300 and left for Tibet. Have spent the last 2 weeks walking around Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Macau and the Pearl River Delta. Every night when I get home, I download the results. Holy Cow, I mean H-O-L-Y COW! How did Canon put all of this in one lens !! I am just amazed. All of my other stuff is going on eBay.

roger doger   Intermediate [Sep 18, 2008]
Strength:

IQ
Only one lens

I guess weight

This lens is heavy but not as bad as all the reviews would make you believe. Image quality seems about as good as 24-105 L and 70=200 L f4.

Nice to only have one lens to worry about.

N/A

Similar Products Used: none
laurent harari   Professional [Aug 27, 2008]
Strength:

IS very efficient
Sharp
AF fast
can check quality on www.buyphotoarts.com check wildlife Latin america.
But Had todo huge post prod to clean the shots.

Its bone structure Push pull too long, too strong , too powerful like a dyson vacuum cleaner.
No dust proofing

I bought it because where I shoot ( Desert and mountains) I have to be extracareful when I change lens ( dust, sand) are killers. Solutions ?
Get only one lens !!!
Beautiful machine on the paper.
So beautiful that I bought it, but it has a huge problem:
the pull and push structure of the zoom makes it a real dust vacuum
which makes it useless for outdoor photography.
DO the TEST while pushing and pulling bring the lens to the ear and listen
you'll hear the air sucking. this is a vacuum cleaner.
Besides that great

longships   Expert [Jul 30, 2006]
Strength:

Focusing speed, zoom range, fantastic image stabilisation.

Push pull zoom, lack of sharpness, price. Not very good for sports photography.

I sold my 70-200 f2.8L IS USM lens to purchase the 28-300. Although the lens is extremely versatile with its zoom range, it is nowhere near as sharp as the 70-200, even when using a tripod or image stabilisation . I expected a little difference, but the difference is so great, that I after a year of soft sports images, I am contemplating dumping the 28-300 to once again get hold of the brilliant 70-200, which although is less versatile, but gave fantastic results.

Similar Products Used: Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS USM
TwoBoy   Expert [Dec 23, 2005]
Strength:

Build, fast focus, IS, range and flexibility. I am getting excellent results with this lens and to answer any questions - YES, I WOULD BUY IT AGAIN. Very useful for relatively close-up shots of birds, snakes etc.

Its flexibility does detract slightly in the sharpness stakes. In no way is it as sharp as the 100~400L. However, having said this I have not seen better results with any other lens in this category.

Flexible, high quality build CANON L lens. Heavy on the camera with excellent IS and focusing speed. A very useful Game Reserve lens particularly in Africa. I use it with the 100~400L as I have 2 bodies which makes lens changing unnecessary.

Not needed so far

Similar Products Used: 100~400 L IS
John99   Intermediate [Jul 25, 2004]
Strength:

Sharpness & general image quality, Flexibility, IS, shorter twist on zoom tension ring comapred to 35-350 / 100-400

Weight, Size, Cost, AF hunts occasionally

I bought this to replace my 35-350 and tried them side by side in the dealers before buying. The lens is larger than the 35-350 and seems to use the same casing as the 100-400L. The 28-300 is, though, much heavier in feel....infact it feels so heavy I wasn't going to buy it until the results from a few shots convinced me otherwise. It is much sharper than the 35-350 and with IS much easier to use. The zoom itself is more progressive than on either of my other two push pull zooms. Though there is still a little bit of resistance zooming back from 300mm it is quite acceptable. On my 35-350 it was a pain and almost 'stuck' at the 350mm end unless brute force was used. Canon say the lenses vary out of the factory and get easier with use. The zoom tension ring adjustment is much better on the new lens and goes from tight to loose much quicker than the what seemed like half a turn on the 35-350. I am really pleased with the quality of pictures so far from this lens - they are in a different league to those I got from the 35-350 and whilst perhaps not 70-200 2.8 sharp are very like those I get from my 100-400. Apart from the cost and weight I can highly recommend this to anyone - not just PJ's. If you only want to take one lens or don't have time to change lenses then this is well worth a look.

Not used

Similar Products Used: 35-350L, 70-200 2.8LIS, 100-400L
CrashTestDummy   Intermediate [Jul 18, 2004]
Strength:

Versatility, clarity, sharpness, AF speed, Image Stabilization, build quality

Weight, price, MF/AF button in a bad place.

A great all in one lens. It excels at the longer end, and is very good when you go wide. The push-pull zoom took about 20 seconds to get used to. It focuses quickly and accurately and the image stabilization is fantastic. Outdoor photos of birds and beasts really show off the quality of the lens. The feathers and fur are very sharp, and the color contrast and saturation are excellent. Indoors, the IS starts to shine. I took a series of photos in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC handheld at F4 - 1/10s that were tack sharp, even at the edges. I was debating a long time between this lens and the combination of the 70-200 F2.8L IS and 17-40 F4L lenses. If I have to carry the two lenses, they would be about 1.5lbs heavier, and give me 17-200 range with a gap. The 28-300 covers a great range and is useful in a wide variety of situations. The deciding factors were cost and weight. The two lenses together were about the same price, and the 28-300 was lighter to carry in the bag. My only complaint about the 28-300 is the placement of the MF/AF button. It's at the 9 o'clock position as you look at the back lens cap. It catches on the bag as I lift the camera out, and I've hit it accidently with my thumb while handling the camera in normal use. It's a very mild complaint.