Nikon 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 AF* Zoom-Nikkor 35mm Zoom

Nikon 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 AF* Zoom-Nikkor 35mm Zoom

A wideangle-to-medium telephoto lens, great for travel, candids, portraits and close-ups. Autofocus for ease-of-use. Focus down to 12 inches.

USER REVIEWS

[Jul 14, 2017]
Stephan Bruineman
Professional

Strength:

Solid, very stable and sharp enough. i.c.w. Nikon F5 very powerful and fast AF (I like film). Works also perfect on my D3. Bit heavy alltogether. Most of the time I use a tripod or monopod. Macro is an extra. Better use the 60, 90 or 200 mm for that.
Not for use on a DX. Suitable for portraits, landscapes and even documentary photography. Cheap as hell. Considering that it's an outstanding, high quality lens. Don't hesitate to buy one. It's a bargain anyway whatever the cost. Don't forget to buy the 35-70 2.8 D also. :-)

Heavy, no VR. Bit oldfashioned look and coating. Front element turns during AF. Bit anoying when using a polafilter.

Bit old but still 'gold'. No money for expensive FX lenses? Buy this one together with the 35-70 2.8D (faster aperture). Maybe the 70-210 is also an option. Cheap, cheaper, cheapest :-) but good, good, ok!

[Dec 01, 2015]
michael

Strength:

tough as nails, heavy (stability), outstanding bokeh, sharp, mid level acceptable colour & depth rendition from 15 elements, dirt cheap, no significant hardware problems (compared to say, the similarly built famous 35-70 f2.8 lens which has a hazing/glue problem on some old lens)

long shortest focal length of ~1.5 metres, but it does have a macro setting 0.3m at 35mm to make up for it

Please note I created a flickr group for this lens at https://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor35-135af/ because there was none... please contribute!

[Feb 22, 2015]
mike james
Expert

Strength:

Mine cost $55 on eBay and looks brand new.
Works well on most Nikons I own - film/DSLR
Build Quality Superb
Sharp enough and excellent contrast

Slowish AF on my D2h but faster on a friend's D800e for some reason
Despite macro mode not really good enough for close-in work
A bit noisy

What a diverse bunch of reviews for this lens which has given me no cause for complaint whatsoever when mounted on my F4s, my D2h or more recently on a D800e. At f5.6 it is as good as any other Nikkor on my shelf but most of the time it stays attached to the D2h giving me roughly 55-200mm in 35mm terms. It seems to be one of the very best combos I have tried on the camera and gives me far better results than the 18-200 VR for which I paid nearly $500 a few years ago. Made in Japan at $55 triumphs
over made in Thailand plasticky zoom.

[May 26, 2013]
Ian Kydd Miller
Professional

Strength:

1. Well built
2. Good glass
3. Nice contrast
4. Sharp (use stopped down a touch)
5. AF is good on my D2Hs

A little heavy but that for me is not really a weakness.

I have been using this lens as a walkabout lens for some time on the Nikon D1H and found it a little lacklustre but on the D2HS it is really good, sharp, good contrast and color and the AF is good even in low light situations. The little extra reach to 135mm is a real bonus for my street work.

[Jan 07, 2013]
Ivan Snger
Professional

Strength:

1) Built like a tank
2) Nice smooth barrel rotation and feel
3) May be ideal for manual focus video application

1) Poor AF in general, but esp. annoying at the longer focal lengths
2) Heavy for a single kit lens
3) Not quite wide enough for single kit lens
4) Older glass cannot use any matrix D info, which would also help for TTL flash and AF

I inherited this kit lens from my father's N2020AF system when he passed on and I have mostly left it on the shelf during the the digital years as it was just too fat, heavy and bulky to use on my DX D70 and D300 bodies. Once I had a couple of newer long AF-D zooms and a few AF-D wide primes which I depend on for commercial events, I went back to this lens to try it out for personal work like indoor family get togethers. Here's what I found:

1) The AF system on my D70 is easily fooled by this lens as it constantly hunts for focus indoors at the longer focal end of the zoom. Not only is this annoying causing you to miss shots that faster lenses would get in focus quickly, but noisy as well, causing looks of impatience to quiet desperation to reflect back from posed subjects.
2) The matrix metering system is almost always fooled by backlighting, meaning that TTL flash metering will be fooled too. At the point if I'm forced to use manual exposure, spot metering, manual flash settings, I'm going to reach for the right focal length prime lens instead.

3) The weight of the lens is not ideal for the intermediate camera user who carries more than one body. I am old school and carry about 3-4 ultra-wide to standard primes and one 70-200/2.8 for normal event use and digital three bodies. I suppose if I only wanted to carry one camera and one lens I would want one that focused quickly, was fast 2.8 fixed aperture, and gave me a deeper range in the wides like 24mm to 28mm. Forget newer features like VR or any of the ED glass enhancements, your camera body is not going to benefit and will have to work harder to meter through it.

The one reason I keep this lens is going to be for event video on my D800, using manual focus. I can't imagine it will be my go-to lens for that but who knows? The price is right.

Hope this helps!
Ivan Singer
ivansinger.com

Nikkor 70-300 ED-IF
Nikkor 28-80 AF-D

[Sep 21, 2009]
Anthony Reiss
Professional

Strength:

1. Great lens for FILM cameras
2. Real glass and full metal jacket,
3. 3.5 to 4.5 you can't find much of those these days with cheap plasctic lenses.
4. MACRO function is great! This is a great bonus!

1. Terrible contrast and highlights on digital CCD / CMOS sensors
2. Highlights are all washed out!
3. This lens was designed for FILM and not for digital cameras

I have had this lens for over 10 years and used it extensively on sldie film and negative film with no problem. It is a great lens on film cameras. That is where the nice story ends. Since converting into digital cameras 4 or 5 years ago, this lens OVEREXPOSES on the digital CCD / CMOS sensors by as much as 2 to 3 stops! Pictures come out full of highlights and white burnouts! If you seriously still want to use this lenson digital cameras, be sure to set your EXPOSURE COMPENSATION to 3 stops lower to compensate! (Always check your HIGHLIGHTS monitor!) Other than that, a great lens for FILM cameras.
Rating:

300 F4

[Dec 05, 2007]
the bler
Expert

Strength:

great glass, manual operation, build quality

weight (for climbing purposes), push/pull design.

This has been a great lens! I love it as a standard-midrange zoom lens that does close-up work very well!

I have used this from closeup flower shots to landscape shots to climbing photography, it has given me sharp, well balanced photos every time.

[Jan 26, 2007]
paullgj
Intermediate

Strength:

Solid build, metal barrels, macro at 35 mm, good resolution, good contrast, relative fast (f 4.5) at long end, compared to f 5.6 on today's new consumer zooms. No vignetting on DX sensors. It is not nearly as big and in-your-face as 70-200 f 2.8 or
even the 70-210 f4 (which I also have).

AF a little slow on low light.

This lens becomes the equivalent of a 55-200 on my D70s. I bought it, not for the wide end, but for use as a mid-range tele for the above digital SLR. It is a good HD walkaround lens for candid ethnographic street photography in Mexico and Guatemala - my intended use.

Build quality - 9/10 - just one cut below the more expensive pro Nikkors, every bit the equal to my bag full of AI/AIS lenses, one cut above my 28-105 (8/10), several cuts above my 18-70 (7/10), and many, many cuts above the new DX lenses (4/10) with pastic mounts (already checked out 55-200, no way). It is a work of art, metal barrels, heavy, solid, precise movement of the parts, even a little finger indentatioon in the barrel where one locks the aperture ring to the minimum f-stop.

I tried it outside (it's sunny here in South Texas) taking images of my dogs - the AF is slower than the 18-70, but no hunting. Image quality - the little I've been able to see so far - clear, sharp, good contrast. I've been shooting at 86-100 mm. Here's a quick potrait, hand-held, indoors, f4 with SB800 flash and cropped.

To my eyes, it looks sharp, with good contrast.

My reason for buying this lens - mid-range tele-zoom for street photography with my D70s. Everyone talks about the problem with wide on DX- I searched and searched for a good mid-range fast tele that won't break the bank, couldn't find anything, then another post here at photo.net alerted me to this lens. I had been looking at the new Sigma 50-150, but a bunch of mixed reports, and a $680 price tag made me hesitant. Yeah, I'd like a fast mid-range zoom with AFS and VR, but none exists as yet. I feel I obtained a pro-quality lens in terms of build for a bargain price.

KEH - excellent. The lens was advertised as EX+ - it appears brand new. Nikon, well, this lens is far beyond the warranty period so N/A.

Nikon 28-105 AFD, Nikon DX 18-70, Nikon f4 70-210AF.

[Aug 27, 2006]
jorge barrantes
Intermediate

Strength:

Build Quality is super, all metal body, heavy, aperture tring, manual focusing is super smooth, great build overall. I have the newer versionof the 18-200 and the build quality is poor, when I take the lens out I am constanty worrying that if I bump into something the lens will break. Not the case with the 35-135mm, this thing is built like a tank.

push pull design

Best all purpose zoom for the money. This lens is sharp, lots of contrast, minimal distortions (it is a FF lens) and from F/5.6 to F/11 it performs identical to lenses costing hundreds more.

[Sep 20, 2005]
bradbrundage
Expert

Strength:

Great image quality throughout the entire zoom range

some might not like the push pull for the zooming compared to rotating your wrist; just takes a little getting used to. The weight of the lens takes some getting used to since its built like a tank, but after a while it seems to balance out a D70 or D100 nicely.

This little gem has been forgotten about by many people as a GREAT lens that it truly is. I have used this lens at a few weddings and modeling shoots and it is SHARP. I can't brag about the macro since its not super, but it is better than say a Sigma/Quantaray 28-80 macro I took a picture of an outside wedding reception handheld using only available light and it came out very nicely. I will post some pictures taken by this lens soon. If you can get one of these lenses before the demand for it goes back up you can get it at a bargain price for a nice professional zoom catagory lens. However if you paid over $200 it is a great lens and for the price for what it is you cannot go wrong.

Have not had to use.

everything under the sun by Nikon, tamron, sigma, phoenix, quantaray.