Nikon 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 AF Zoom-Nikkor 35mm Zoom

Nikon 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 AF Zoom-Nikkor 35mm Zoom

Out-of-production Nikon autofocus zoom lens.

USER REVIEWS

[May 09, 2017]
Royce
Intermediate

Strength:

Sharp to about 280 Nice tripod collar

Heavy, no auto focus motor

I picked up mine for $100 based on Rockwell's glowing review. The lens is sharp. It has no AF motor so you will need a body with a AF motor in it. AF works great with my D7100 and on my D3200 manual focus takes a little time but it's good. It is built like a tank, heavy (hard to shoot hand held free style) mostly metal and the tripod color works great. I had a 55-300 but this is better.

55-300mm

[Jun 22, 2009]
Jerry
Intermediate

Strength:

Sharpness, sharpness, and sharpness. Relatively light for it's focal length and considering that it's all metal. Solid build, but like most push-pulls the zoom is very "free". I really like the built-in rotating tripod mount--doesn't get in the way but works like a charm, allowing quick transition to portrait format and back. AF is pretty fast but a bit noisy.
Did I mention it's sharp?

None found.

I've used this lens for about two years now on an F100 and a D200. Optical performance has been outstanding, especially from 100-250mm, where it is nearly impossible to tell the difference in sharpness in 100% crops when compared to photos of the same subject taken with my old MF Micro-Nikkor 105mm. Believe me, that's saying something, because that old Micro 105 is probably the sharpest lens I've ever used.

None. The way this thing is built I doubt a rebuild will ever be needed.

Several plastic Nikon zooms, Nikon 18-200 VR, Sigma 120-400 OS. The Sigma is nice for handholding at long reach, but it still can't touch the old Nikon for sharpness. Given a choice if shooting conditions allow (meaning if I have time to set up a tripod), I'll always reach for the old Nikon.

[Aug 02, 2004]
Levon5
Expert

Strength:

Macro work w/a 6T is beautiful! I don't think it is better than a Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro Super (which I had and used) for regular shooting but the macro shots w/the 6T are fabulous! Macro is a little akward being that it is a medium size lens but the photos are seem fabulous to me w/no color cast whatsoever. I even like a little warming effect but I was totally happy w/this lenses performance in the macro range.

Something kinda strange w/out of focus highlights @300mm. I cannot articulate what the problem was but it seemed to happen when shooting at a wider aperture. I know it has 9 blades in the diaphram but the out of focus background still looked a little strange to me. A little heavy but hey, IT'S ALL METAL!

I purchased this lens because of Ken Rockwell's glowing review. I have shot a lot of rolls of film with it so I think I can make some valid observations as to its quality. It is pretty sharp wide open and does not search for focus. It is very sturdy and while the built-in tripod mount is small it is nonetheless handy.

Not needed and as well built as this lens is, I doubt that it ever will be needed.

Various incarnations of Sigma 70/75-300mm. Good but 'fragile'. They usually last 3 yrs. then break but the photo quality on the shorter end is great! Macro is pretty good but not as good as the Nikkor w/6T. Nikkor Ernst Leitz stuff Carl Zeiss stuff Sigma 180mm F3.5 and f5.6 APO

[Jan 14, 2004]
Expert

Strength:

Very sharp Built-in tripod collar (you need it because it weighs 30 oz.)

Push-pull so it will extend when hanging around your neck. Not IF. AF kind of slow. (However, not that bad on F100, F5 or N90s). Does have a focus limiter switch, though.

This review is of the original 75 to 300 AF zoom which is predecessor of the current 70 to 300 ED zoom. I haven't used the current zoom but I can vouch for the optical quality of the 75 to 300. It differs from the current lens in that it's push-pull (like most of the AF Nikkors of the late 80s to early 90s). The 75 to 300 is very sharp. You can still find them in mint condition for a little over $200 or so. Don't let the fact that it's not a 'D' lens stop you. The 'D' chip really doesn't make that much difference anyway (unless you do a lot of close-up flash work). If you're a Nikon shooter and are looking for a very good all around zoom in this focal length don't hesitate to pick one up. Many times I'll opt for this over my 80 to 200 ED zoom simply because I need the extra reach.

Nikkor 80 to 200 ED zoom (2 touch)