Nikon AF 35-70mm f/2.8D Zoom-Nikkor 35mm Zoom

AF 35-70mm f/2.8D Zoom-Nikkor

One of the fastest Zoom-Nikkors, capable of handling low-light shooting situations. Constant 2.8 aperture throughout entire zoom range. Autofocus for ease-of-use. Focus down to 11 inches.

User Reviews (70)

cadeyrn   Intermediate [Oct 11, 2010]
Strength:

- SHARP. Yes, with capital letters.
- Fast. Both AF (even it's not AF-S, it's definataly fast, in low light condition too), both the 2.8
- superb build quality
- size (it only takes 62mm filters!)
- weight (it can be hold)

- not the pull-push zoom itself (I owned a manual Vivitar optics on Contax, I loved the pull-push-focus design), but the revesed pull-push is odd
- weight (when carrying...)

This is an exceptional lens. It was rather hard to find a lens in nice condition and - dispite the produced numbers - in Hungary, everyone sells the non-D version.
After reading hours and hours about this lens, I finally managed to get one of the last 7000 produced ones, in perfect condition - and it worthed every fillér. (fillér = cent of forint, the money in Hungary :) )

Lot of people complain about the wide end, and yes, this is not a wide-angle lens on DX. But I first, I wanted something about 50mm for DX, and I was looking at 20-28 an 35 mm primes, near the price of max. 250$.
The reviews of the 35 mm 1.8 D were good, but knowing myself - I'm in love with teles -, it wouldn't really have suited me.
Therefore I came across with this lens, and even if the price was a bit higher, than I wanted to spend, this beauty worthed it.

This is a pro lens; it's nearly as sharp as the primes (yes, I testedi it), but it's true, that the zoom range is odd on DX - but suits me.

Similar Products Used: Nikon AF 28-85 / f3.5-4.5 n
Nikon AF-S 18-70 / f3.5-4.5
alseiden   Intermediate [Apr 22, 2010]
Strength:

sharpness, colors

wish it went a little wider, but I just take a few steps back.

I bought this lens used from ebay. There is a small scratch on the front lens. That may have scared other bidders away. I am so glad I have this lens. It stays on my d-200 all the time. I use this lens for around the house or walking around. I love the quality of my photos. There all very sharp. The 35-70 on a d-200 is not wide, but it is normal to telephoto. This lens also makes a great portrait lens. If you get a chance to get one of these.... just do it. You will not be sorry.

None

Larry   Intermediate [Mar 14, 2010]
Strength:

Sharp, sharp, sharp and it does it all. MUCH Cheaper but perform as good as its more expensive replacements.

The weight is there but still less than its more expensive replacements. Front focusing gets into the ways of your fingers where zoom ring usually is.

A very sharp and usable lens, that never fails to give good pictures. Gives good colour saturation. Although it is discontinued but it is still sought after because of it performance and price. Us it indoors and outdoors both gives outstanding results. The macro function is useful though and with so many features pack into it few good lens can match its zoom and macro capabilities. Its weight is less that the huge and heavy 24-70 or even 28-70. Good value for money.

Similar Products Used: AF28-70mm f2.8, AF 24-70mm f2.8
RGT   Professional [May 19, 2007]
Strength:

This lens is very sharp. Even at 2.8 although there is improvement when stopped down a stop. I have found the AF to be fast on the D200 and D80. Not quite as fast to focus as the AF-S 18-70 but close enough. When shooting at 70mm wide open the bokeh on this lens is beautiful. Very creamy. This is especially so when working in the "macro" mode this lens offers. This is truely pro glass and the heft of the lens will confirm that. The weight (more than one pound) is something I like when shooting as it provides stability when hand held.

Let me address the "weaknesses" as I have read in these reviews.

1. "Limited Range"... It is what it is. When you buy small car do you complain the car is small? It was small when you bought it. If the range of this lens is not right for you don't buy it. If the range was extended then it wouldn't be the great lens that it is. For me the range is great. The 35-70 (52-105 on my DSLR) covers 90% of what I need. This one lens keep three out of my bag; a 50 mm, a 100 mm and a macro.
2. "Its Heavy"... Again, it is what it is. The weight reminds me I'm shooting with quality glass that is a constant 2.8. Very nice when the light fades.
3. "Ghosts and Flaring"... Many have written about this one so there must be something to it. I haven't experienced a problem yet but then agin I haven't shot in the direction of the sun yet. Best to keep the hood on and be aware of where the light source is.

Being a professional photographer for more than 30 years in the "film era"
I have used many format and lens combinations from many different brands.
When the shoot was important I never used zooms because I felt they were inferior to primes. I have now gone digital and recently purchased the Nikon
35-70 2.8 zoom. How things have changed. This is a great lens. I would guess it may be better/sharper than some primes out there.

nikonman   Expert [Mar 27, 2007]
Strength:

Great optics as mentioned. Better yet when stopped down a tic or two. Push-pull design is OK with me. Nice, sturdy build. Hefty, but still half-a-pound lighter than the 28-70.

Rotating front ring can be a nuisance at times but not a real deal breaker. Other than that not much. You know it's a 35-70 before you buy it. If this doesn't meet your needs then don't buy it. It doesn't deserve to be bashed because it's a 35-70. I'm certain Nikon would still continue to produce this if they had a full-frame digital camera.

This is actually my 2nd review here of this lens. I firs reviewed it in the summer of 2000. My 2nd posting is here is for 2 reasons: 2) To restate my support for this great lens, and 2) To inform any one interested in getting a new one of these to do so fast because it has been officially discontinued by Nikon. I sold my first copy only because I had to come up with funds to purchase a new F100 back in 2001 (over $1,000 with the battery grip back then-WOW how times have changed). Any way, the bottom line is this is one of Nikon's legends. It's sharp, it's sharp, it's sharp. I shoot film yet, (OK, I'll give my reasons when everyone stops laughing and can continue reading). I'm not ready to give up using my F5 yet. Besides, this means I can still shoot (as long as they make it) Fuji Reala (the greatest 35mm color negative film never discovered by most of the world.) Needless to say, using the 35 to 70 with Reala leads to extraordinary results. Nuff said. And, it still fills what I think is an often overlooked focal length range in 35mm.

Never, ever had a need to use them.

Similar Products Used: Many Nikkor manual focus and AF zooms in this range.
BrianW   Expert [Mar 27, 2007]
Strength:

Optics. Sharp, even more so stopped down a bit. Minimal distortion, unlike many of the newer Nikkor zooms. Rock solid build. AF is certainly fast enough for my purposes using an F5 and/or F100. Nice balance with these bodies, too. I don't mind the push-pull action.

I'll agree that the rotating filter attachment can be annoying at times but as I mentioned in my original review, once you set your focus you're done. You can zoom in and out without it affecting the focus. Limited zoom range OK. You know what it is before you buy it (You don't buy a subcompact car to haul a lot of cargo, right). It is what it is. If you want a little more range (28mm) and a non-rotating filter thread there's the 28-70mm for only $1,000 more.

This is actually my second review of this lens. I firs reviewed it back in 2000 and around 2001 sold it to help pay for the purchase of an F100 (at that time over $1,000 with the battery grip). I always had regrets selling it. Well, I just recently purchased a new one. That's one of my reasons for this posting. If you are at all contemplating picking one up do it soon. It has officialy been discontinued by Nikon. I agree it is a limited zoom range but it still fills an important gap. And, of course, it's optical quality is well documented. One of the reasons I wanted to put it back in my arsenal is that I still shoot film. So, for me, it's a 35 to 70. And, shooting mostly Fuji Reala, the results are phenomenal.

Never, ever had to use.

Similar Products Used: 35-105 manual Nikkor and AF-D version, many other Nikkors that overlap this range.
matt_so   Intermediate [Dec 05, 2005]
Strength:

Zoom lens with Macro ability with a cheap price tag then 60mm, 105mm or used 70-180mm. A bonus when used on DSLR - now you have a 105mm 2.8 which is great for portrait shoot.

A bit heavy, and the push-pull is reverse (compare with push-pull of the 80-200 2.8D) so need to take some time to get used to it.

I brought this lens used because I read about the "close-up" mode @ 35mm that gives 1:4 macro range. And use it on Nikon DSLR will becames a 1:2 close up due to the 1.5 crop factor. I'm sure enjoy the macro capacity of this lens! This lens is sharp and build like a tank (quite heavy, as most of the parts are builded with metal). What I am amaze is that this lens give sharp image even when I use it with a 2X teleconvert (Kenko Pro 300). AF speed is quite decent on D70. These is no vignette nor light fall-off at all stop. If you want the best for macro, you can get yourself a 60mm or 105mm macro (but no zoom + high price), or get a used 70-180mm macro (even higher price + slow AF + no longer in production). With the price you paid nowaday you can't beat the price / performance ratio of this lens!

Similar Products Used: Nikon AF 50mm 1.8 Various Nikon zoom that has macro ability, including 70-200 VR.
Toastesser   Intermediate [Nov 22, 2004]
Strength:

picture quality is amazing for a zoom. build quaility is very good 62mm filter

rotating front element

during film days, I found this focal lenght a little useless. Since I bought the D70, I love it. Having a FOV of 52-105mm at f/2.8 is really nice for portraits, upper body on events and parties. colors, contrast, saturation (and sharpness) are quiete impressive for a zoom. So I sold my 35/2, 50 1.4 and 60 Micro. Comparing it to the AF-S 28-70 the older one is only half the price, size and weight. It's also using way cheaper 62 filters. The only draw back is the rotating front element. It's pretty good at f/2.8 already (way better then the sigma/tamrons) and gains even more quality at f/4 and f/5.6. For me, this a true winner. The 17-55DX is tempting as a replacement for my 18-70 and this 35-70, but it's still more expensive and the 17-55DX is to big for me to replace the walkaround 18-70. Instead of the original hood I use the HN-24, the crops makes it possible. I bought the Tamron 28-75 2.8 DI to replace it, but it came out that the Tamron is (way) weaker wide open at the wide and long end. The Sigma 28-75 2.8 EX was to slow and loud AF and bulky even compared to this old day design of the Nikkor. I found the D-Version a tack better compared to the non-D wide open.

Similar Products Used: the non-D version (sold) Tamron 28-75 2.8 DI (sold) Sigma 28-70 2.8 EX (returned)
olegv   Expert [Oct 31, 2004]
Strength:

Sharp, fast, good bokeh

Not as sharp as a prime

Bought it for D70 since it has better bokeh than normal prime and more versatile. As a portrait lens it is very good. The sharpness wide open is good but not perfect. At shorter end there are some soft spots at the corners of DSLR cropped frame where some radial softening is readily visible. The MTF data supports this observation. So shooting landscapes wide open should be avoided. Stopped down to F4.5 it becomes very good.

Not needed

Similar Products Used: 18-35 AF-S 24-85 50 F1.8 70-210
avin   Expert [Sep 20, 2004]
Strength:

robust very sharp all over good color rendition hardly any distortion noticed if at all from 35

a little heavy but not bad AF a little slow might be limited in range for some people

This is one of those classic lenses that just seem to be good and better than many newer lenses, It doesnt just feel professional but also offers professional top class images . The images are well balanced between good contrast and sharpness, as for sharness , its a little soft at 2.8 sharp at 4 and top between5.6-16. Color is slightly on the warm side . Unlike many of todays zooms in which the iages are distorted and soft at the wide end , this one offers excellent results from its shortest to the full length ,which mean that its a full 35-70 zoom giving resutls close to my primes 85/1.8 and 50/1.8 which today I'd use only when I want to go at 4 southward. I wouldnt use it for fast sports as the AF is a little slow but good for anything else. Its slightly on the hefty side but sits so perfectly in the hand and the build is very sturdy. well its like a tank I bought it second hand but in mint condition , the push pull is a pleasure to use,I think that for digital its even more useful than for slr as it actually becomes a nortma to tele, whereas in slr its more like zoming around the normal 50 +- making it a little limited in range.

never needed