Nikon AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6D Zoom-Nikkor 35mm Zoom

Nikon AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6D Zoom-Nikkor 35mm Zoom

Popular mid-range zoom, suitable for many applications, including portraiture and travel photography. Autofocus for ease-of-use. Focus down to 46 inches.

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 07, 2017]
Carlos
Intermediate

Strength:

Focuses quickly!!!

Doesn't work.

I recently bought this lens in mint condition. I have a D700 with a very low shutter count. This lens focuses quickly but my shutter won't work. When I press the shutter, I keep on getting fEE. I've tried everything and it still doesn't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

[Jul 06, 2016]
Digitaltim
Intermediate

Strength:

Solid build, ok Bokeh, cheap, sharp, works well with D750.

Old, heavy, No stabilization

Trying in a D750. It takes nice pictures with ok Bokeh. It's fairly small, but is heavy.

It was $96 used in mint condition.

Solid metal build. Zoom is smooth and dampened. It focuses as quick as the new lenses I've used.

Even in dim light with the ISO cranked I'm getting decently sharp pics with out flash. Sharpness isn't everything though.. People, pets, objects look 3D and start to pop... From the color and contrast? I don't know, but it looks great!

I loved the Tamron 70-300 VC SP, but I sold it. The Tamron was huge, I'd never include it with my travel bag.. I also had an 18-140 VR ( sold with camera) and a Quantaray 100-300 AF ( super cheap, small, but not really worth $40 mint). I picked up this 70-210 lens as a cheap telephoto zoom and I'm glad I did. The 70-210 is just small enough to be a travel option.

I'll keep this lens for a while, because I really like the pics in getting from it. I've become a bit of a lens collector. I have old and new primes that this 70-210 will share a rotation with. I truly believe it's that good.

Tamron 70-300 SP VC. Quantaray 100-300mm AF, Nikon 18-140 VR

[May 17, 2012]
Larry Miller
Expert

Strength:

As others, I love the contrast, colors & sharpness. No complaints. The build is very, very good. The multicoating looks great. Relatively light weight on my F3 & F2. Also like the bokeh on this lens. No harshness.

For the price, nothing really.

I bought this lens a couple of months ago. It was at a local camera shop sitting on the shelf with two others. The other two looked pretty banged up (which to me, that meant they were for sure "road warriors"). This one was in Like New+ shape. It either wasn't used much at all or was taken exceptionally well care of. Not a scratch or a mark on it (believe me I tried to find one on it). I bought this lens with the intention of using it from 70-150 primarily. Maybe to 180 at times. Took some shots of a redbud tree when those pink blossoms come out in March-April against a blue sky. Got the pictures back and thought, "Whoa, That's what I call color". Those shots sold me on the lens. End of story! Still can't believe I found one in this great of shape.

AF 70-300 ED F4-5.6. This lens stinks! ED or not....
75-150 Series E. Great lens.

[Oct 08, 2010]
Gerhard
Professional

Strength:

Sharp!! Build quality!!! PRICE!!!!!

Some would say weight, but I like a fairly heavy, solidly built lens.
I would prefer it wasn't a push-pull, but hey, you can't have everything!

Excellent lens. Dollar for dollar, as good as it gets! Many have compared this lens to lenses many times more expensive. I agree with no reservation. Sharp, contrasty, and rock solid!!! Some complain about the weight, but I believe it assists with hand-held macro shooting (although I usually use a tripod).

Nikon 80-200 2.8

[Aug 19, 2010]
Graham
Expert

Strength:

Light,small,sharp and cheap

not 2.8

This is the second 70-210D that i have owned,the last one i sold when i purchased the 70-200,that has gone now since i found it overated.The 70-210 is the most value for money nikon lens out there,i use it on my D700 and on an F100,it is resonably fast at focus and very sharp not to mention easy to walk around with.

good.

70-200,80-200

[Jul 18, 2010]
photodaddy
Expert

Strength:

Build quality, optics, weight, focal length range, fast aperature for its size.

Weight (in the beginning but not in the end).

I was reluctant to purchase this lens but it was included when I bought my wife a D50 body. It sat in my bag for sometime is I always considered it too heavy for use on my fully decked-out D300 with battery pack. I bought it because of its build quality and strangely enough that was the same reason I never used it (metal tends to make a lens heavy).
Just recently I took a vacation to New York and packed the lens along just because I had an extra space available in my bag, I never intended to use it much but ended up getting some of my best shots with it affixed to the trusty D. I found the shots to be sharp, brilliant in color reproduction and contrasty. The push/pull was smooth and took a little getting used to but it ultimately made sense from a functionality standpoint. Much to my surprise the more I used it the more the weight seemed a non-issue and seemed to make it more balanced; perhaps the weight is a design component not a negative result of the lens' solid build quality. Oh those sneaky Japanese.

None needed yet

Nikon 35-70mm f2.8 AF D

[Sep 13, 2009]
starriderrick
Intermediate

Strength:

The best budget priced telephoto zoom lens out there.
A very good zoom.
Price.
Push / Pull zoom...silky smooth,fast.
Decent bokeh and very good build quality / all metal body..
Inexpensive, very fast AF(good for sports) excellent sharpness and contrast.
Distortion: very low at all focal lengths.
Image quality

On the topic of Sharpness: Decent wide open, but stop down to F8 and you'll just make images that cut through anything, very very sharp.

Push pull zoom can suck in dust.
Not a lense for Manual Focus work.Clumsy focus ring is very sensitve, out front.
The filter size is 67mm which is kind of weird for a Nikon lens.
A heavy lense.(this is a strength for me) may not be for some

This is an all metal prosumer zoom lens that nikon made during the mid 90s. It is of the the highest build quality and quite robust / heavy.With a minimum focus distance of 4 feet..I have found through experimentation,... it can be used for quasi macro photos as well.
A very good lens:Well made ,TACK SHARP,impressive image quality.You get this lens for a steal these days.
It can compete well with other options in the $500+ range today. If you're considering it just save yourself the time and pick one up. You won't regret it.

Just remember... not for everyone...A fairly heavy lense.

Highly recommended for an outdoor photographer on a budget.Just an overall great lens!

Rick

Not needed

Tokina 75-300
Sigma 28-300
Nikkor 55-200

[Mar 11, 2007]
bensondjy
Intermediate

Strength:

Good Sharpness at wide open, Unbeatable sharpness from f8~f16.
Super Fast Focusing.
Good color and contrast.
C/P Value.
Compare to F2.8 80~200, the price is unbeatable.
Light but metal built.

not as fast as f2.8.

I just used it about 2 month. I fully agree with kenwell's review. Razor Sharp, good color and contrast, fast focusing.

Plus, it is light. Pro Built. Metal used.

I actually like the pull zoom. direct feeling.

I sold my sigma apo dg 70-300mm and nikkor 70-300mm ED. Comparing them with my 70-210mm D. they are just like toys.

Sigma 70-300mm APO DG
Nikon 70-300mm ED

[Feb 16, 2007]
piotr_82
Intermediate

Strength:

- Optical quality - EXTREMELY SHARP !!!, CONTRASTY and well toned colors (espiecially when stopped down)
- Built quality - very SOLID and DURABLE - metal and glass,
- Good focal lenght for portraits, wildlife and outdoor shooting,
- Great balace with N80 (and similar SLR bodies),
- Still fast aperture, even handheld,
- PRICE and QUALITY - great related to each other!!!

- can be a bit soft below f/5.6
- quite heavy due to metal and glass construction - have to know if you prefer weight or durability
- front element rotating while focusing,
- focusing distance quite big - not a macro lens ...
- needs a fill-in-flash in a dim light conditions, especially with longer focal lenghts

I bought this lens as a bargain on the internet auction (allegro) about a year ago. Wanted to have a medium focal lenght zoom lens with good optics and solid, metal construction - this one was the best choice I have made and still left my pocket with some money! Optically I am very satisfacted with the results, it gives a SHARP, CONTRASTY pictures and natural color tones, especially when stopped down to f/8 or more! It still gives very good results handheld when using ISO400 film. From f/3.5 - 5.6 it is a bit soft, espiecially in the corners and sometimes in the center of a frame but stopped down and no softness is visible! Great choice fot a wildlife photos, portraits (with Nikon A2 filter that is always on my lens it gives really fantastic skin tone and slightly warmed backgroud - looks great to me!) and narrow landscape shots!
Solid metal construction is quite heavy but I do not have to worry about breaking the lens in my photo bag or a backpack. Never use tripoid but suppose to get even better overall results with one! Usually works in AF mode that is a bit slow in my non-D version, but still precise and suitable to my needs (portraits and animals do not need a super-fast focusing, nor do landscape scenes). Focusing ring works smoothly, zooming barrel too (it`s a push-pull zoom lens - shouldn`t need a lot of time to get used to it ; right now seems to me that this type is even better than a standard one). Distortion is acceptable but I try to avoid straight lines as a main motive on my scenes. Flare can be a problem when you get a direct sun into the lens - need to think about it when shooting! I always shoot this lens with a NH-23 Nikon metal lens hood that seems to solve this problem! Balanes very nicely with my N80 and MB16 Battery pack - no reasons to complain about it. Front element rotates while focusing so polarisers can be a bit demanding - personally don`t have a 62mm polariser so far ;)
Overall, it`s a GREAT performing lens with a - let me call it a "sub-pro" quality - very good optics, built with metal and glass which is not very common solution in todays Nikon lens. If you need such a focal lenght, want to get a stunning results and still keep a money in your pocket - this is a MUST! (not so hard to find a second-hand one on an auction as a bargain!). I can recommend it as a second lens in every photo bag!

Never need one so far ...

Nikkor 35-135 f/3.5-4.5., Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon N80 camera body with MB 16 Baterry Pack, Nikon SB-600 flash

[Jan 11, 2006]
hinze
Intermediate

Strength:

Fast as lightning razor sharp good contrast good color

none at this price

I bought this lens becouse i read kenrockwell's review of it and I have to say that i fully agree with his opinion in any way. The Nikkor 70-210 AF-D is unbeatable in sharpness!!!! I've seen more expensive lenses (third party and nikkor) which are not half the sharp this lens is. When you first whatch an image out of the camera (d50/70 in my case) you simply cannot belive it! razor sharp brilliant contrast and colors - what else can you say... oh yes the af is a real sprinter! I had to get used to the push pull mechanism first but you get into it in minutes and it is noth that bad compared to the ones you turn. I think i never sell this lense again. like the guy bevore said - the best lense you can get for your nikon gear at this price and this quality! kudos nikon!