Nikon AF 70-210mm f/4 Zoom-Nikkor 35mm Zoom

Nikon AF 70-210mm f/4 Zoom-Nikkor 35mm Zoom

Out-of-production Nikon autofocus lens.

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 16, 2018]
jakraig

Strength:

SHARP! Good contrast and CA control. I shoot with a D810 and use a variety of lenses, when my Tamron 70-300 recently required repair I didn't want to be without a zoom so I looked on line and found this really old lens. I have a 28-105 and a 24-70 but didn't think they would be long enough for my frequent trips to SW Florida. When I ordered this lens from Adorama I didn't expect much from it even though I had read several reviews that said it was a good lens, I have gotten spoiled with 2.8 and VC or VR. All I can say is WOW! What a fantastic lens. I love my 50 1.4 G but this lens is sharper than the 50. With constant F:4 I assumed that F:4 would be unusable and I would have to go to around F:8 but I found that F:4 is very satisfactory down to 100% and F:4.5 is a little better but at F:5 it is simply perfect all the way out to 210. I'll still be sending the Tamron in for repair at 3 times the cost of the 70-210 but I will not use it until I absolutely have to have the longer reach. I have seen this lens all over for under $200.00, I would say if you can find it get it with one proviso, make sure you can return it, I have heard that some of them have had focusing problems. When I put mine on a test stand with my 810 it had no front or back focus, it is right on zero. If I haven't made myself clear, I love this lens.

A little noisy, the front element spins on focus and it really hates the sun, needs a hood shooting into the sun.

Price Paid:
1988
[Sep 09, 2012]
Marco Gabbiani
Expert

Strength:

Constant f/4 aperture
Very sharp
Cheap
Light weight
Old school build quality (not quite AI-s though)
Zoom ring has perfect feel

Thin manual focus ring
Plastic lens barrel
No VR
No instant manual focus over ride
Screw in lens hood (a pain to use with filters)

I bought this lens 7 years ago on eBay for $200. I used it a few times on but didn't take much notice of it. When I bought a D7000 I decided I needed a modern tele zoom and bought the 70-300VR. I bought into the hype of AF-S and VR. They are great features. It turns out that I don't really need them. I was getting some backfocus on 70-300VR (turns out the D7K was to blame) so I pulled out the old 70-210. The 70-210 proved itself when I was shooting my kids playing rugby. All this talk about this lens being no good for fast action just doesn't hold up in my experience. Perhaps on a cheaper body that may be true, but having said that the D7000 isn't exactly a pro class body with a monster AF motor. I use 9 point dynamic AF 1/1000s at f/4 using auto ISO and the results have been amazing - my keeper ratio is better than 75%. There is no need for VR at that shutter speed and the action is so fast manual focus over-ride would not help anyway. It would be nice to have the extra reach of the 70-300, but cropping solves that. Is it sharper than the VR? Hard to say. I haven't done rigorous back to back tests. I can say that I just love the look of the shots I get with this lens. Lets call it a tie. For less than half the price of the VR you get equal sharpness, better low light performance and better handling. The zoom ring is so smooth compared to the VR. I was always jealous of the Canon crowd's 70-200/4L. The Nikkor may not match the Canon but its only 20% of the price. So in summary I am keeping my 70-210.

Not applicable

Nikkor 70-300VR, Tokina 80-200/2.8 ATX manual focus

[May 14, 2011]
zabig
Expert

Strength:

Very nice lens contrast, excellent optical results overall on DX sensors.

Not intended for fast action shots in autofocus if you need to travel the full focal length of the lens on successive shots.

This is a highly under-rated lens, especially for DX series cameras where this lens performs in its resolution sweet-spot. It's getting difficult to find a pristine example but they are still out there at bargain prices.

Best feature: very nice lens contrast, F/4 bokeh is also very pleasing to my eye. Truly stand-out images on my D7000 and nicely compliments the 24-120mm f/4. With the 12-24mm f/4, these are the only three lenses I need.

Pros may insist on the 2.8s and they get paid to lug the extra weight around. With the high ISO of the D7000, I will never miss the extra f-stop as much as I enjoy having these reasonably priced and superb Nikkor f/4 lenses.

Nikkor 180mm f/2.8.

[Feb 13, 2011]
james l.
Expert

Strength:

optics,optics,optics
nikon glass really rocks.
i have a vivitar series 1 and sigma and tamron lenses at same focal lenght to compare with.

maybe the af, but i couldnt fault it. you can spend $800 more to get the faster newer version., if it matters to you.

good bang for the buck
excellent optics across the board
slower af compared to my 18-200 af-s but this technology is 20 years older, what matters is the optics is still excellent. btw. slower is only slightly maybe a second or less, unless your shooting critical stuff, it doesnt matter.

none, bought this second hand

sigma, tamron,vivitar

[Jun 28, 2009]
sfpeter
Intermediate

Strength:

Has nice color rendition and sharpness. After comparing many photos with a 80-200mm VR zoom (the closest I had on hand) this one is as sharp at F4 as the other is at F5.6, and past they're about the same. So it's apples and oranges how much better one or the other is.

Evenly spaced zoom ring, which as always makes framing your picture easier. The zoom also rotates smoothly with just the right amount of drag.

Good bokeh and full manual controls.

I'd rate the autofocus speed on my D700 as "acceptable," but most other users consider it slow. I noticed on my D50 it did seem noticeably more sluggish, but it'd take a stopwatch to tell for sure.

Good old metal construction, likely will still be here long after the plastic lenses are gone.

As long as someone doesn't think they're holding a valuable collector's item these are available fairly cheap.

The focusing elements rotate way out, which makes a problem for a polarizing filter and trying to use it in manual focus.

The hood is all-metal and screws in. Even the Russians at this point were making plastic lens hoods, and I haven't come across a hood cap yet that will fit it. And no, I don't think metal hoods are "extra" protection in an accident, as if it hits hard enough to dent the hood the mounting threads are also likely to get bent.

The focus scale is all the way at the end of the lens, why I don't know.

The autofocus is screw type, so D40 users are out of luck.

This is the great Granddaddy of Nikon's telephoto zooms, being made in 1986-1987. For an old lens it has the notable feature of a constant F4 maximum aperture, which places it between the "Pro" F2.8 zooms and your standard F5.6/6.3 consumer zooms, and this is probably the only lens Nikon has made in this category.

However, it's not a cheap stand-on for a "Pro" zoom as it doesn't have the wicked fast focus of the F2.8 lenses.

In terms of build and quality this is a nice old-school lens, with metal where today's lenses use plastic.

Haven't used.

Over 40 Russian and Nikon lenses.

[May 27, 2009]
cadeyrn
Intermediate

Strength:

- sharpness
- second-hand price
- build quality
- large zoom grip
- weights a lot less, than a 2.8 lens
- fix f4 (compared to zoom at the same price)

- slow AF
- possibility of AF errors at some light situation
- rotating front lense
- fix f4 (compare to 2.8...)
- still a bit expensive, even from second hand

This is one of the best lenses I've came across. It's full metal and has exceptional build quality, but not as heavy as the 2.8 lenses.
It has a very good macro functionality, although it could be a bit better, but in this range, width this quality, it's OK.
At f4 is it a bit softer, than one or two steps later, but much sharper than the usual lenses at this price.
Nearly everyone mention the slow AF, some even mention AF errors. A would say, that the AF is slow, but compared to a non silent wave motor lens, it's bearable. But there's also a type of lighting, which this lens cannot handle (when the sun has just went down), and sometimes it can be fooled by sunlight reflections.

Sigma 70-300

[Jan 29, 2008]
caspert79
Expert

Strength:

- Stunning optical performance
- almost no distortion
- F/4 from 70-210mm
- build quality

- very slow AF
- relatively big

This is an excellent zoom lens in terms of optical performance and build quality. The lens is very sharp and contrasty, and most remarkably, shows almost no distortion. In fact, the results are almost prime-like. The optical performance is really quite amazing, probably almost on par with the 80-200/2.8.
Biggest drawback is the AF, which is verrrrrry slow. You might prefer to use MF on this lens. Also, some examples of this lens seem to suffer from an AF error (so always test this lens before you buy it).
For slow photographers like me, this is a perfect lens. A lot of bang for your bucks!

[Jan 04, 2007]
Jeremy
Professional

Strength:

Constant aperature.

Good zoom range.

Excellent resolve properties and good color.

NOT a push-pull zoom!

Can be had for a great price used... if you get a really clean one.

It's not entirely a lightweight, but it IS smaller and lighter than the 80-200 f/2.8!

AF is a bit noisy, but do we really care?

MF ring isn't the most conveniently placed or sized.

Do have to refocus when zoomed out, but that's the case of about 99% of the zooms out there.

It's a good piece of glass. Certainly cheaper than getting the 80-200 f/2.8!

I've done two shoots on my Fuji S2 and it seems to respond just fine with digital. The only real diffrence with this and a D designated lens is... it doesn't "talk" to the SB flashes.

It's great to have a constant f/4 across the board so you don't have to make adjustments when you zoom out further. The distortions are very low and the colors are very flattering.

For about $200.00, you really cannot go wrong with the lens.

Contax/ Zeiss 80-200mm f/4 (on Contax system)

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 (it IS a fantastic piece of glass, don't get me wrong)

[Jan 11, 2006]
dale heit
Intermediate

Strength:

Very Sharp! Sharp throughout all focal lengths Well made - A work horse Constant f:4 Good bokeh Less expensive than 70-200mm lens 1:4 macro 62mm threads convenient for close-up filters Seems to be appreciating in value.

Rotating front element Heavier than a Nikon 28-200mm but much lighter than 80/70-200mm f2.8 Could use a tripod mount Slower autofocus

I wanted a medium telephoto lens that wasn't to heavy to lug around in the woods. This turned out to be a a great choice. I have used this lens for about 2 years. I always use a tripod and this lens has produced some very sharp images at 13 x 19 prints. Constant f:4. I have not had any focusing errors with my D70. It was manufactured in 1985 therefore its autofocus is slower than the newer lenses. Probably not as good for action shots in autofocus mode. The manuel focus ring is small and way up at the front of the lens. It is a 1:4 macro and coupling that with the digital facter, its great for close-ups (315mm macro) with tremendous working distance. It has a 62mm filter thread compatible with Nikon's 5T and 6T close-up filters. It is not a IF lens so it can be difficult using a polarizer filter. It weighs 27 oz which makes it heavier than the new plastic lenses. This is a well made lens built to last. It seems to render images on the cool side but a slight adjustment in white balance is an easy fix. This lens is appreciating in value as they becoming scarce. Some of the used EX+ / LN are going for $300.00.

None

[Feb 05, 2005]
paullgj
Intermediate

Strength:

Construction - very heavy duty. There is no equivalent from Nikon today. Canon has a 70-210 f4 for $600-700. Nikon should update this lens. This is A good travel lens without the bulk of the more expensive a newer 80-200. It is the best bargain in my inventory of Nikon lenses.

Yes, it's slow to focus compared to todays AFS, but it still does the job. Not available new today, getting hard to find used. It needs an update!!

I'm not going to give you a lot of technical jargon - just the results. This is the one lens that always goes with me, I'll never sell it. The images, taken with Reala 100, are crisp, clear, and full of vibrant color. It gives very good background blur for outdoor potraits. It can focus fairly closely for a tele-zom - it can almost be used as a macro. Used on my new F100 I have no problems with focus errors, back-focus, or any other problems. Best results are with a tripod.

N/A, haven't had to use.

24, 50, and 85 AF primes; 28-105 AF zoom; 28, 50, 135, 200 AIS primes